"Find what you love and let it kill you"

Discussion in 'Name that poem' started by hangman, May 10, 2012.

1. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Officials say drugs may have played a part Redwood Original

Literature? That sounds like Bukowski saying "Sexual Intercourse" instead of screwing or fucking. I smell Martin all over the sheets...

2. I'm skeptical. I'd love to see the manuscript.

3. We don't have a manuscript, but as hank solo pointed out, the line is a quotation:

there is a French expression,"without
    literature
    life is hell."​

And it's from Slouching Toward Nirvana, so you can simply assume that Martin has changed it, and the odds are you will be correct.

The poem did appear in Bombay Gin in 1991, so that could be checked for changes. You know, if you have that issue.

4. or M would say "without literature, life is not my cup of tea!"o_0o

PhillyDave and Skygazer like this.
  5. Bukfan

Bukfan "The law is wrong; I am right" Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Thanks, hank solo! Finally a correct Buk quote on Facebook even though it's just a quotation Buk used in a poem. :hmh:

6. Here is the Bombay Gin version:

Untitled-1.png

7. And, unfortunately, the Slouching Toward Nirvana version.

Untitled-2.png

8. d gray

d gray tried to do his best but could not First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

frigging???

it's too bad "the editor" never suffered writer's block...

9. audible is suspicious

Bukfan likes this.
  10. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Officials say drugs may have played a part Redwood Original

Misquoted again...

But then quoted correctly...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  11. Jesus Christ....I am sickened to my core. That stinkin Martin slobbering his 'correct english' all over Buk's street wise tongue. It's a horror. How the hell can we get back at that bastard?

I know.

Let's have a US postage stamp made up of Martin's image! That'll teach em. ha ha..hahaha.

12. Bukfan

Indeed! I don't recall Buk ever using that word.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  13. Misquoted, yes, but all they are saying is that the dictum is attributed to Bukowski, not that it is written by him. These days you have to be grateful for whatever little piece of comfort you can get.

14. PhillyDave

PhillyDave “The essential doesn't change.” Beckett Redwood Original Unholy Ones

"sit back down" and "sit back" mean two different things. Arggg! The shitty "editing" is endless.

15. The worst one I've seen was this:
    the Buk version, "I am a competent being..."
    the Martinized version: "I am a competent and satisfied human being..."

A hawk swooping in on its helpless prey is a "competent being."
    A lizard perched on a cactus is a "competent being."
    John Wayne Gacey is a "competent being."

Mr. Rodgers is a "competent and satisfied human being."

16. Oops.

BSIvG-zCEAEpFBb.jpg

Ghado and Bukfan like this.
  17. Bukfan

Hahaha...maybe some skin colored ink can correct the error.

18. you really have to look twice. I thought that this was a thigh in white underwear with the tattoo right below the hip bone. I need glasses.

19. d gray

me too! but what the hell is it?

it's not really upside down, is it?

20. PhillyDave

It's under her right arm below her right boob.:oo

21. I think that it's a boob on the upper right. Yep!

22. PhillyDave

I think the woman (or man) who got the tatt is a boob!:p

23. d gray

wow, i must be hallucinating. i thought it was upside down and the boob was an ass!

5573-ce2a11450fa2973e22a8fb11b345eb79.jpg

Johannes, Skygazer and PhillyDave like this.
  24. I agree. I thought that the boob was an ass and one that Crumb would have LOVED.....

25. The boob is an ass, but the tattoo is on the ribcage.

26. I was also certain that it was a thigh tatoo. That sure is one fine obtical illusion. That is one dedicated Bukowski Fan. Oh My Lord, that takes commitment.

27. For me commitment would mean making sure the quote was authentic. I'm afraid this may be one of those people who thought it might be awesome to have a tattoo quote by that Bukowski guy who represents all that cool shit, you know, like alcohol and puking.
    If I had been at the stage in my life where I had only read about half of Buk's work, and decided I needed a quote tattoo'd (and found this one), I believe I'd choose one that I had read in one of his books that meant something to me instead; if this one meant enough to me that I wanted a tattoo of it, I believe I'd try to find it in one of his books first. Just to put it into some kind of context before inking it on in there.

28. Context?

Poppycock, sir! A tattoo is meant to be a dionysian expression of one's own idiocy. As for finding ideas in book... who the hell reads those things anyway? Far better to wait for the movie to be released on netflix.

misskatkat and Danny Mac like this.
  29. I think the way Kari and Helena were treated is smug, disrespectful and rude. There are polite and respectful ways of making a point, but they seem to have eluded you.

30. Thanks for popping in and setting everyone straight, sugar. Y'all have a good evening now.

Quadraphone likes this.