Forum update (1 Viewer)

The forum search is using a new cloud-based search engine.
Funny thing about this, since I'm in this thread - I received an email from the company that makes the cloud-based search engine, and I'd assumed they were an established joint and I'd just never heard of them. But the email was touting their great success at having more than 140 forums using the software.

140 users is success? Aiming a little low there, aren't we?

Anyway, I didn't realize that we were guinea pigs, but it's working well so far, so I guess that's fine.

Roni, I thought I would give you a glimpse into the future.
[ps403102]$ php cmd.php xf:upgrade
Current version: 1051470
Upgrade target: 2000031 (2.0.0 Beta 1)
Are you sure you want to continue with the upgrade? [y/n] y

Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 1... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 2... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 3... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 4... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 5... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 6... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 7... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 8... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 9... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 10... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 11... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 12... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 13... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 14... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 15... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 16... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 17... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 18... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 19... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 20... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 21... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 22... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 23... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 24... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 25... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 26... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 27... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 28... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 29... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 30... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 31... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 32... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 33... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 34... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 35... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 36... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 37... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 38... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 39... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 40... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 41... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 42... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 43... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 44... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 45... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 46... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 47... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 48... done.
Running upgrade to 2.0.0 Alpha, step 49... done.
Importing... Master data (Options)
Importing... Master data (Phrases)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 1.8%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 5.1%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 8.5%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 11.0%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 14.0%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 17.1%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 20.2%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 23.3%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 26.0%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 29.2%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 32.5%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 35.3%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 38.3%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 41.1%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 44.1%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 47.2%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 50.2%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 52.9%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 55.9%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 58.5%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 61.6%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 64.5%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 67.5%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 70.0%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 72.7%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 75.4%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 78.4%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 81.3%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 84.1%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 86.8%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 89.3%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 92.0%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 94.4%)
Importing... Master data (Phrases: 97.1%)
Importing... Master data (Style properties)
Importing... Master data (Style properties: 37.7%)
Importing... Master data (Templates)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 4.3%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 12.9%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 20.2%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 27.7%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 35.2%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 41.0%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 48.0%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 54.3%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 61.9%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 69.4%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 75.4%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 81.3%)
Importing... Master data (Templates: 88.8%)
Importing... Master data (Widget definitions)
Rebuilding... Phrases .
Rebuilding... Phrases . .
Rebuilding... Templates .
Rebuilding... Templates . .
Rebuilding... Templates . . .
Rebuilding... Templates . . . .
Rebuilding... Templates . . . . .
Rebuilding... Templates . . . . . .
Rebuilding... User avatar sizes (251 / 9560)
Rebuilding... User avatar sizes (1878 / 9560)
Rebuilding... User avatar sizes (3687 / 9560)
Rebuilding... User avatar sizes (4894 / 9560)
Rebuilding... User avatar sizes (5687 / 9560)
Rebuilding... User avatar sizes (9211 / 9560)

Upgrade completed successfully.

xf2-1.png

xf2-2.png

This is just a test on a different domain. The forum software isn't even out of beta yet. But this is pretty much how it will be (but in a lovely shade of grey, I suppose). Not too terribly different.

Something has been changed in the last couple of days - subforum titles are no more in bold letters if there are unread messages in them, like they used to be:

Not bold.jpg

As you can see, only the slightly darker Buk drawing in front of the subforum title indicates that some of the posts in that subforum are not checked yet.

P.S. It's the same thing with thread titles in subforums: they are in same (not bold) letters whether there are unread messages in them or not:

The same thing.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I changed that yesterday after looking at the forum on a couple of non-Chrome browsers. The bold font looked terrible in Firefox and IE. There are still indicators, as you mentioned, the forum icon is dark when there are unread messages, and the blue dot shows up next to individual posts with unread messages.

It may have been the blue color, I don't know, but I was surprised by how shitty it looked in those browsers. It was bad enough to take the time to change the font weights. When the 2.0 update happens the bold indicators will be back. You can see in the images above that the bold looks fine in the grey color.

I changed that yesterday after looking at the forum on a couple of non-Chrome browsers.
I'm a Firefox man and those bold letters looked OK for me (and I could clearly see what's new to read, not like now.)
On the other hand, if you're about to change the forum look as shown here soon, I'll be happy & satisfied again.
I know that me being happy & satisfied means a whole world to you :D.

Thanks, but it's a bitch to do those, because they're all in a single image. Or two images, I should say:

Buk-forum-unread-sprites.png
Buk-forum-read-sprites.png

Then via the magic of CSS, the correct part of the image shows up on the forum list. So it isn't a simple thing to add new ones. If I redo them one day I'll take you up on the offer.

if you're about to change the forum look as shown here soon, I'll be happy & satisfied again.
I don't know how soon it will be, but probably this year. The 2.0 version of the forum software is still in beta.

Like I mentioned, the problem (that I saw, anyway) may have been the blue color. Maybe I'll try changing the link color and making them bold again. It's just that there are a dozen changes - all in different places - to do something as simple as changing link colors.

Is there a "statistics" page hiding around here. I was wondering how many issues of magazine appearances have been logged. (As opposed to the number of appearances, since there are often more than one appearance in a single issue. And not the number of magazines, since he appeared in magazines more than once).

I just looked at it wth my phone. Mobile version looks pretty good. Simple but distinctive. The "liked by" boxes were a bit big and intrusive, but that's small quibble.

Yeah, the goofy REAPER CREW images are all chopped up in mobile too. I may be able to figure some way to get rid of those in a small viewport.

What gave it away?

The software is close enough to the final release, and I wanted to get rid of the test forum, so here we are, in the brave new world. I went to great lengths to retain the SOA badges, then after updating the live forum today I removed them. They didn't display well on small screens. And that whole thing was played out.

There are only a few user groups now. "Active member" comes up after 100 posts, and "Well-known member" after 1000 posts. There should be probably be another group for multi-thousand post members, but I don't know what it would be called or where to set the number...

What a week: upgraded to Firefox Quantum yesterday, forum updated today.
Now I don't know which one of these made the speed of my browsing nose-bleeding.

BTW, what happened to "mobile phone" view? Is that still an option? I have a "desktop" view now and I don't see where I can change it.
Yeah, I checked Preferences, but no dice.

Last edited:
I like the new look. It looks great. In a week nobody will remember the old look and this will feel like the look the forum always had.

I noticed that some very old internal forum links (like a link to another thread) have been broken, redirecting to a "forum is being upgraded" message. I fixed that redirect problem and the old links are redirecting to the other threads now. But it seems that the thread numbering changed, probably when we switched to the new software, and the links are redirecting to what looks like the wrong threads/posts. Not much I can do about that at this point.

I'm sure it all seems ridiculous, and I don't even know why I post things like that here. Probably because I don't write them down anywhere (which is why I have to fix them in the first place). Anyway...

just sayin mjp, but uh, no music links pop up here on my computer at work. Maybe they blocked em? Never had an issue before.

Okay, we're running the official version 2 release of the forum software now, so if anything isn't working properly, let me know.

The video embed thing that Black Swan and PhillyDave have reported must be due to caching. I'm rebuilding some of the internal caches, but if you still can't see embeded videos in a few minutes, it might be due to cache on your local device. If you can clear that (browser or application cache), give it a try and see if it helps.

I can't replicate the missing video issue in any browsers or on any handheld devices, so I can't really troubleshoot it at the moment...

Could be a workplace block issue, but Black Swan reported the same thing happening on her phone, so it could also be something else.

I rebuilt some of the internal caches, but if you still can't see embeded videos, it might be due to cache on your local device. Try clearing the browser or application cache and see if that helps.

I did nothing but pull this up on the computer @ home and everything shows up. Cool. I don't know what u did but i like yr work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back