Ham on Rye covers (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
I saw this today and I'm wondering what the remote desert - or a trailer home - has to do with Ham on Rye.

9781782116660xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

Seems like Ham on Rye has had more (English language) covers than any other Bukowski title...

ham_on_rye3.jpg
38501.jpg

9780061177583-uk.jpg
9781841951638-uk.jpg

9780857861764-uk.jpg
9780862419936-uk.jpg

That last one is especially awful.

It's just unbelievable. Non of them really make sense. And the last one of the multi-color kid -- I guess it's an attempt to make it "Burning Man" modern, but the kid looks like he has autism and I don't think Buk would have liked it.

No one really pisses on Barbara Martin here and I agree with the sentiment. But the real approach should have been Buk doing a drawing that encapsulated his feelings about the book. Much like the early chaps.

I'm all for the original BSP-cover (and I am not always a fan of Barbara Martin's designs). It makes perfect sense and has a historical approach to the person of the writer who's giving his autobiography here.

B.t.w.:
Who is Roddy Doyle? Is his introduction any good?

@roni Doyle is an Irish writer. Amazing? No. Enjoyable? Sure. A bunch of his novels have been made into movie. The biggie is The Commitments. Actually I read A Star Called Henry 6(?) months ago that really was an excellent novel.

Here's one roni, hope I haven't missed anything out. Had a bit of a carry on converting it to something I could move, don't understand the Cloud thing!

Attachments

• Roddy Doyle Intro.pdf
    238.9 KB · Views: 636
i was looking for some covers... is the brazilian edition the only one with this crumb drawing on it?

by the way, is there any thread comparing international covers?

Untitled-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back