Movies - Top 10 of all time (2 Viewers)

Shameless self promotion Mr Hines!

I threw that film in as a bit of a joke, it's not a film you can say you really love, just a film it's impossible not to react to. I felt something similar when I was taken to a naval hospital with concussion. And the halls were filled with thousands of dead rabbits...

In no particular order:

Pee Wee's Big Adventure
The Princess Bride
Highlander
The Gods Must be Crazy
The Life Aquatic
Shawshank Redemption
Napolean Dynamite
Memento
Moty Python and the Holy Grail
Being John Malkovich
This Is Spinal Tap

Mine goes to 11.

Anyone care to give me a diagnosis?

This is true. Though I must admit it becomes quite taxing when you try and read through the complexities of the Spanish Civil War. Why couldn't the lefties just get along ;) I still find it amazing that people like Orwell left their homeland off their own back to face fascism head on. I couldn't imagine people doing that nowadays.

I watched Che Part 1 the other week and I thought that was another example of how to make a film about guerilla warfare realistic.

I agree. I guess that's why Orwell wrote about the political complexities of the war in a chapter by itself, and said if you're not interested in the political aspects you can just skip the chapter and carry on with the rest of the book. :D

People still join wars and revolts in other countries nowadays. I think that's what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan where other nationalities joins the war against the coalition forces. Of course, their agenda is a religious fascist agenda but in principle it's the same as what happened in the Spanish Civil War.

I have'nt seen the Che film. I better have a look at it on Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
no particular order:
-Los Olvidados
-Fargo
-Snatch
-Reservoir Dogs
-Old Boy
-Lost Highway
-The Life Of Brian
-Heaven
-Bananas
-Big Lebowski

*El Santo & Blue Demon V.S. The Monsters
*Mononoke Princess

Fantastic film, and so much better than M*A*S*H. I can't understand why Catch 22 lost out to M*A*S*H so badly.

I really don't know either. Robert Altman is a good director. Both movies are from books of the same title as their movie counterparts. I think it had something to do with the years that they were released in.
Catch 22 will always be one of my favorite book and movie.

Harvey
Falling Down
Lolita (Lynne's, not Kubrick's)
There Will Be Blood
The Swimmer
My Dinner With Andre
Sweet and Lowdown
Three O'Clock High
Happiness
Donnie Darko

...probably omitting many crucial others, but these random ten came to mind first.

No one cares.

Amelie
Buffalo '66
400 Blows
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Breaking Away
Blue Velvet
Taxi Driver
Ran
Night of the Hunter
Pulp Fiction

Best docs:
Born into This
Streetwise

Dead Man
Apocalypse Now
Fear & Loathing
Le Charme Discret de la Bourgeoisie
Easy Rider
I'm Not There
No Country for Old Men
Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Hey fatal, nice to see Dead Man, assuming you mean the one with Johnny Depp on someones list, great friggin movie! Stavrogin, did you see the brown bunny by Gallo?

Yes, the one with Depp in. It's possibly my favorite movie of all. The Neil Young score is pretty tidy too, Iggy Pop, William Blake, it's great.

Yes, one of my faves of all time too, and of course Crispin Glover is in it, and well, that just makes it all the better. Anything Crispin Glover does is A-OK in my book, even when he's in shitty big budget movies like Charlies Angels, I'll still watch just for Crispin.

Maybe there could be a Crispin Glover thread. He has done some good roles and he has done some great characters as in River's Edge. He pissed off Letterman in a 1987 interview to promote the movie River's Edge a very depressing movie about a true story.

I didn't want to dwell on the guy by posting the YouTube of the incident. He did go back on the show 3 yrs. later but that 1987 interview made the Top 10 worst guests.
I saw it when it happened and he was an asshole.

He was (allegedly) appearing in character - as Ruben from the (as then) in development movie 'Rubin and Ed' - but I think that went over Letterman's head.

I remember Glover being on 'The Last Resort with Jonathan Ross' (which was really a UK facsimile of the Letterman show) around that time, with some of his art curios - even when not in character he was a weird guy :D

Edit: He went back on Letterman a few weeks after the 'kicking' show with some of his artwork too - its on YouTube, but it really isn't as interesting as I remember

I just looked at mine from a year or so ago and boy... was I drunk? I mean, I've never been drunk, but that list... Hm. Maybe I was trolling for attention? Anyhow, here's a mostly better list (in no real order):

There Will Be Blood
Chinatown
Taxi Driver
Requiem For A Dream
The Incredibles
Pulp Fiction
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
American Beauty
Ghost World
Blazing Saddles

But that'll change eventually... I could do TV series too! Dare I start THAT thread up? I might...

here are some of my favorites, but I have a hundred more.

The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros
Nobody Knows
Old Boy
Schultze Gets the Blues
Wild at Heart
Buffalo 66
A Beautiful Mind
It's all Gone Pete Tong
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Zorba the Greek
et La Strada
El Norte

I have tried for months to figure this out... Like many, my list of fave movies would go way beyond 10, so here's my current favorite 10, ahhhh, this was hard, but in no particular order...

Ed Wood
Harold and Maude (maybe tied with ed wood for #1 of all time for me)
Sweeny Todd
Heathers (Dear diary, my teenage angst has a body count) Maybe best line ever!
Clockwork Orange (still not sure why my parents let me see that at such a young age)
The Departed
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Shaun of the Dead
Swingers
Edward Scissorhands

What no Tarkovsky?

Watched the "Stalker" just recently and the movie blew me away. While he's definitely not for everyone, I personally consider him one the greatest artist in cinema.

[This video is unavailable.]

Don't know, but there are 17 on the list from the last 20 years, that are also on the top 100 of all time.

Hello everyone. New here. This is my first entry. It seems I have nothing better to do so I registered. This is the first thread I checked.... I'm a lazy fuck who Finds comfort in Bukowski's writing.

Some films I found compelling, perhaps some Buko-fans will too. I'll spare you the obvious classics like Nosferatu and The Age of Gold. These I've seen at least 20 times. Each.

A Love Song for Bobby Long
Wonder Boys
Little Miss Sunshine (gotta be the best film in hmm... 20-30 years?)

fuck... I'm too depressed to think. Well, see these three 20 times and you've got well over a 100 hours of sumthing-to-do. Enjoy.

Thanks guys, already feel like a part of the big happy Buk-Family. About the top flicks:

Lean: Everything, fav. Lawrence of Arabia
Jarmusch:Everything, fav. Dead Man
Tarkovski: Everything, Zerkalo fav.
Kubrick: Everything, all fav.
Bergman: Everything, Det sjunde inseglet fav.
Allen: Everything, Annie Hall fav.
Von Trier: Everything, Antichrist fav.
Lynch: Everything, Lost Highway fav.
Polanski: Everything, Pianist fav.
Haneke: Everythin, fav. Der siebente Kontinent

There are just too many... and I'm not even mentioning Finnish cinema (btw. check out Klaus Härä's Letters to Father Jaakob)

I also gotta mention Ki-Duk Kim's Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom, which was quite important to me as well as Shawshank Redemption since 'get busy livin or get busy dyin', 'that's God damn right'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard choice but here's some of my favourites:
Eraserhead
2001: A Space Odyssey
Hana-Bi
Eight and a Half
Nostalghia
Shaun of The Dead
Reservoir Dogs
Dawn Of The Dead
The Good The Bad And The Ugly
Taxi Driver

2001: A Space Odyssey - could have easily listed this one in my top ten but didn't (listing a favorite top ten is an exercise in error anyhow). The effects still look amazing to this day 40+ years since release.

you can't?

start a "10 worst movies of all time" thread and i'm sure it will show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back