Movies you may like if you like bukowski (2 Viewers)

Das Boot
The pope of greenwhich village
Drugstore cowboy
Full Metal Jacket
Fargo,The big Lebowski and Barton Fink
Smoke
Sideways
Unforgiven

You may also like Deep Throat or The Wizard of Oz or Elmo in Grouchland if you like Bukowski... but I don't think that I see a connection. Hell, you might even like Warhol's Chelsea Girls (which I recently watched in a fit of masochistic-time-wasting, though a young Mary Woronov and Nico are both nice to look at), though I suspect Bukowski would've hated it.

Good Question!?

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. It seems like a mindless pursuit, this.
Still... it's getting some people excited.

What about...

Colours you may like if you like Bukowski
  • Blue
  • Yellow (of course!)
  • and possibly Red.

Feel free to add to this list.

P.S. surely this belongs in 'All things not Bukowski'

A really GREAT one. The Last Detail, Jack Nicholson. He plays a boozy character called "bad ass budusky" :)

I agree! That's a great movie!

If you like Buk I think you'll like the movie "American Splendor" about Harvey Pekar's career. Robert Crumb is in it too. It's very, very funny...

Last edited by a moderator:
Emperor of the |Norht

anyone seen Emperor of the North with Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine?That is a good film.Marvin is a hobo type who rides the trains in 30s US.Thing is tho Borgnine doesn't want ANYONE sneaking on his train and he strikes the fear of god into Marvins fellow drifters as he is absolutely BRUTAL enforcing his rule(with a very big hammer).Keith Carradine co stars as a simple lad who tags on to Marvin as they try to outwit Borgnines murderous character.
Anyone else seen it?Well worth the watch....

I've seen it years ago. Great movie! Borgnine is awesome in this movie. I seem to remember that Marvin calls himself - or sign his (hobo) name as - A nr. 1. Is it out on dvd now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few of my faves (minus those mentioned previously by Dirk, placeholder, etc...)

O Brother, Where Art Thou ?
Ironweed
Black Snake Moan
Near Dark
Leaving Las Vegas

Watched 'Sideways' yesterday. Very good movie. The golf cart scene and driving the car into the tree were great. The second attempt at driving the car into the tree was too funny.
Near Dark is awesome.
Want to see Buffalo 66

the only one I haven't seen is Black Snake Moan. Love that bar scene in Near Dark...(finger lickin' good!)

Do you mean this?

If so, the movie is worth it for this scene alone. A reason to want to buy the soundtrack.

Samuel L. Jackson -- Stack-O-Lee

This here a song from back in the day
Nineteen hundred and sixty two
My baby left my black ass out in the cold
I said "baby why you leavin?" she said "our love done gone cold."
Well I waded thru water, and I waded thru mud
'Till I came to this place they called the bucket of blood

You know that bartender gave me a dirty look, and a dirty glass
I said "hey motherfucker, do you know who I am?"
He said "hell no nigga, I don't give a god damn"

I reached down in my pocket, and pulled out my shiny .44
Shot that motherfucker twice, he hit the damn floor

'bout that time you could've heard the drop of a pin
that's when that bad motherfucker billy lyons walked in

'bout that time a pimp eased up and turned out the lights
that's when I had billy lyons dead in my sights
when the lights come back on, ol' billy's gone to rest
I put nine of my bullets in his mother fucking chest.

I got these lyrics from the internet and see that they removed soem "motherfuckers", so I added them backl. That being said, I cannot tell if the rest are right and this some is longer, so these are not complete.

Bill

That's a version of an old traditional blues song, though I've always seen it as "Stagger Lee."

"Nineteen hundred and sixty two"? I think the song is much older than that. Though that may be the earliest version the writers were aware of. ;) There have been a million versions of it anyway.

That's a version of an old traditional blues song, though I've always seen it as "Stagger Lee."

"Nineteen hundred and sixty two"? I think the song is much older than that. Though that may be the earliest version the writers were aware of. ;) There have been a million versions of it anyway.

Yes, it is a different version of Stagger Lee, clearly "pulp fictionalized" by Samuel L. Jackson. Good stuff.

Bill

Sideways is pure class. I can't think of any movie I have seen lately, or even during the past 10 years, which comes close. I'm open to suggestions though...

Sideways was a little obvious. I felt like I had the film maker's elbow in my side he whole time. "Hey, get it? Did you get that part? Ha ha, isn't that funny!? He's a drunk! Ha ha ha."

But Giamatti is a star, I dig that guy. The Harvey Pekar movie was very, very good.

Sideways was a little obvious. I felt like I had the film maker's elbow in my side he whole time. "Hey, get it? Did you get that part? Ha ha, isn't that funny!? He's a drunk! Ha ha ha."

But Giamatti is a star, I dig that guy. The Harvey Pekar movie was very, very good.

Hmm, Don't agree with the first part but agree Giamatti is a star. Give that man something to work with! He could do Buk in a movie no problem. He'd make a good choice for an adaptation of post office (if Jack wasn't available...).

Maybe the best person to play hank would be Nick Nolte.....:-)

I just watched Running with Scissors and now that and the Rabbit are sitting comfortably side by side in the fucking strange and creepy room in my mind.

weird night

Buk always said his favorite movie was David Lynch's ERASERHEAD. (Check out his new one INLAND EMPIRE while you're at it.)
He also liked Billy Wilder's THE LOST WEEKEND and Kurasawa films.

Leaving Las Vegas

Oh the gods, when I saw this the first time I just couldn't get it out of my mind. I just couldn't. I was going through the scences in my mind trying to figure out when I could jump into the story and save Nick Cage's character.

I think the documentary by Sarah George entitled Catching Out will be most enjoyable to anyone who likes Buk.

As for movies, I think anything by Lynch and the Coen Brothers is pretty good, even the notsogood stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back