Movies you may like if you like bukowski (1 Viewer)

Buk always said his favorite movie was David Lynch's ERASERHEAD. (Check out his new one INLAND EMPIRE while you're at it.)
He also liked Billy Wilder's THE LOST WEEKEND and Kurasawa films.

I can't recall the original but Kurasawa wrote a great screenplay that was adapted to English called Runaway Train with Jon Voight.

Sideways was a little obvious. I felt like I had the film maker's elbow in my side he whole time. "Hey, get it? Did you get that part? Ha ha, isn't that funny!? He's a drunk! Ha ha ha."

But Giamatti is a star, I dig that guy. The Harvey Pekar movie was very, very good.

I wonder if most of the people that watched it really "got it." It's nice to see a movie made with snobbery in mind--I'm thinking of the scenes where Giamatti throws a fit about merlot.

I also wonder how many people stopped drinking merlot after seeing that movie. I think from now on I'll pronounce wines the way they look to piss off the elitists and tell them how much I enjoyed a bottle of $10 wine I got on sale.

EDIT: Now I'm off to make a post about how I'm young (early 20s) and NOT antagonistic.

I always thought that mamet films were something similiar to Bukowski. Glengarry glen ross, American Buffalo

First my top 3...and I'm not sure if any of this has to do with liking Bukowski...let alone with his tastes...

The Lost Weekend (a good drinking movie, but read the book, there's alot they changed, like the ending).
Raging Bull (I know Buk was a fight fan, and as portraits go, this one of Lamotta is pretty damn good).
The Cooler (strange gambling film with William H. Macy and Maria Bello and a surprisingly good perfomance by Alec Baldwin).

Now the other thing...someone mentioned Leaving Las Vegas. I remember this came out just after I put down the bottle, and it had all the boys and girls in the church basements squirming. "Whatever you do," they said, "don't watch it alone...it'll make you drink." So of course, I waited until my wife (then fiancée) was out, and rented it.

Nick Cage really doesn't know anything about drinking. First off, if I were gona drink myself to death, I'd have a lot more fun with it. And if Elizabeth Shue were sucking me off, I'd seriously reconsider the whole death thing entirely. Was that rude? Sorry. Anyway, the film was a plodding load of crap, and no, it didn't make me drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lost Weekend (a good drinking movie, but read the book, there's alot they changed, like the ending).

I read that! I was shocked. Not because he was alcoholic and i can read about dark sides of this addiction, but Jackson wrote in perfect style about our humans manner. I read and said: "It's so true, i'd do this in same way like him".

i couldn't actually watch that after the first 20 seconds, it was really freaking me out. i had to close the tab and just listen. there was something very, very disturbing about that.

If you like Bukowski, surely you will love .

That was fantastic. Thanks.

I don't know if these are movies you would like, but I suspect Buk may have liked them.

10. Forrest Hump
9. Pulp Friction
8. Romancing the Bone
7. Snow White and the Seven Sailors
6. Saving Ryan's Privates
5. Buffy the Vampire Layer
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Dildoes
3. Rambone
2. Monty's Python and the Holey Girl
1. E-Three: The Extra Testicle

I always thought that mamet films were something similiar to Bukowski. Glengarry glen ross, American Buffalo

Yeah, Mamet could have done something with the old sot. I lived in Pawtucket when they did American Buffalo.

It's a real drinker's town, that's fer sure.

one of the best movies i've seen in a long while is "little dieter needs to fly". it's a documentary about a pilot shot down during the vietnam war. it's one of those movies that affects you for days and days. i just felt weird being alive after watching it...

Not to put ice in your coffee but I do not think that I'l be able to watch another documentary on the vietnam war unless the documentary was shot by a vietnamese.

i like iced coffee! the thing is, it's not about the vietnam war as much as dieter surviving the pow camps after being shot down in the jungle. and the director, werner herzog, is german if that helps...i know what you mean though. this is more a tale of survival against a billion to one odds and never giving up hope, all that good stuff.:)

Dieter Dengler is a survivor of both WWII and
Vietnam. Dengler grew up in Germany.

It doesn't look like it's entirely about
VietNam; Black Swan's point is absolutely valid.

I think I might look into it.

Thnx.

2406381882_80473c41cf_o.gif

I'd watch anything that Werner Herzog cared to film.
dude's crazy...good crazy, but crazy nonetheless.

but, yes, valid point, Black Swan.

Now that Vietnam is making money producing the most rice and building resorts Someone should fund a documentary by a local. That Black Swan is right.

you guys are kinda missing the point. it's not about vietnam, it's about a man named dieter dengler and his amazing escape from a prisoner of war camp. it coulda been any war, the civil war, the cold war, war on drugs, etc. i see your point that american docs are one-sided, but that's really a non-issue in this case. maybe you should watch it before judging. it's just a movie that i found interesting and thought i'd share with you guys here...

you guys are kinda missing the point. it's not about vietnam, it's about a man named dieter dengler .......... it's just a movie that i found interesting and thought i'd share with you guys here...

james I will check that out..little dieter needs to fly..thank you for that. I still like what Blck Swan mentioned, but I will check out the movie.:)

Yeah. You can tell by the way the light changes that it was done over a period of days (if not weeks) and that it's cobbled together from stills.

Yup! That's really a cool animation. I've never seen anything like it before.
Thanks, Rubyred!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back