New Trivia Thread - First with the correct answer asks the next question. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.
One of our buknet members wrote in 1993 a review on Run with the Hunted.
Who is it?

That leaves cirerita. Of course I will get my ass kicked by the real reviewer if I'm wrong. Thinking about this he was probably only 16 in 1993.

It is David Barker.
Published in SURE, the CHARLES BUKOWSKI newsletter 8/9

An excerpt:

Until now, Bukowski has been available only in the hard to find
editions of small independent west coast publishers (mainly John
Martin's own Black Sparrow Press, and City Lights) and in the small
press. If your local bookstore or library doesn't special order him, then
you can't read him.

All that has changed, run with the hunted, presumable, will be in
book shops and libraries from coast to coast. I hope this is only the first
of a whole flood of millions of copies of Bukowski books being
distributed through the "normal" (as opposed to small press) commer-
cial channels. I hope failed poets, eccentrics, loners, literary wanna-bes
and maiden aunts all over are picking up on him for the first time and
exclaiming "WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY? HOW CAN HE
WRITE SUCH GREAT SHIT AND GET IT PRINTED? WHERE
HAS HE BEEN HIDING ALL MY LIFE?"

note: HarperCollins was the publisher.

ok, here we go:
where did bukowski discover, while delivering mail, that he could "shit and shower when down and out"?

i can relate - churches make me want to shit and shower too...

okay, finish this bukowski line -

"my father's feet stank and his smile was..."

From a letter in 1983 Bukowski wrote the line: "And let's not talk about the liver; I don't want to think about my liver, maybe it won't think of me."

To whom did Buk write this letter?

No.

Hint: the answer lays in the package which you can receive any day now.
It has been sent all the way from Canada.

I like the way the hint is to me and me alone no one else. Thank you very much for the wonderful Canada Connection.

So it must be Harry Calhoun.

For the record, I never corresponded with Buk, although I had his address. I figured that after the dust up in the bar, it was best if I just left him alone. I was tempted to write him a few times but resisted.

Although Buk mentioned David in a way that gave the impression that he had no problems with the spit book. I am referring to a letter to Richard Wong. Others had problems, but Buk seemed to be fine with it....

Bill

True. Thanks for mentioning that, Bill. In the letter to Wong, publisher of THE KING OF SAN PEDRO (a miniature book on Bukowski I wrote), Buk was very cordial and had kind wishes for both Wong and me. I could have waved that like a flag in a few hostile faces but didn't. I sometimes forget that apparently he had no problem with my SPIT book. I've heard that he signed some copies of SPIT for Red of Baroque Bookshop. Have never seen one myself.

I saw one recently. Maybe it was auctioned at PBA? But, yes, he signed at least one, so he could not have been too pissed!

I'm not sure what he would have - or could have - been upset about. If you hock a big loogey onto someone's face, I figure they have the right to write about it and you're probably not going to come off looking like a prince.

I never heard that he was pissed...just the people on the fringes who thought they ought to be consulted before I wrote it up. And maybe they should have been, but I didn't do that and they never got over it (apparently.)

Bukowski wrote a poem that is 7 words on 6 lines not counting the title. What is it?

Sherman must have been a real asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back