New Trivia Thread - First with the correct answer asks the next question. (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The magazine is Earth 2, 1966. Buk's essay is "In Defense of a Certain Type of Poetry, A Certain Type of Life, A Certain Type of Blood-Filled Creature Who Will Someday Die." Reprinted in Portions From A Wine-Stained Notebook.

You memory is getting better and better with the years, Rekrab.
The honor is yours Mr. Barker.

There's an untitled Bukowski poem that mentions Adam and Eve. What's the name of the publication it first appeared in?

There's an untitled Bukowski poem that mentions Adam and Eve. What's the name of the publication it first appeared in?

I can see this is too vague and needs a clue. The poem was in a small collection published after Bukowski's death. A limited edition.

Time for another clue. Either this is a really tough question, or it's a really boring question. I'm guessing it's the later. My fault. Anyway, to recap: There's an untitled Bukowski poem that mentions Adam and Eve. What's the name of the publication it first appeared in? It was a small (physically and lengthwise) posthumous collection. The new clue is: it came in a clear lucite box. That should ring a bell with some of you collectors.

I'm holding it in my hand:

I keep pondering the
imponderable
Adam and Eve without bellybuttons?
and if so, why?

From as Buddha smiles

(c) 2003, Bottle of Smoke Press

You are correct, purplestickpin. I think that was the only Bukowski line I found that referred to belly buttons, but I held off quoting the entire line about Adam and Eve without bellybuttons because I thought that might give it away.

Well, it's my understanding that this poem only appeared in Bill's production (other than in the new Continual Condition, so a few advance review copies are out there), so not too many folks would know this.

Yep, until Sept 29th, you can only ready that poem in as Buddha smiles. Although the poem in 20 parts titled as Buddha smiles in the new book is slightly different from my release. No words were changed, but one stanza was added that X-Ray published and one was removed (it is part of another poem in the same book.)

Bill

The yellow piss-bird. Might that be in ALL THE ASSHOLES IN THE WORLD AND MINE? I don't know if that's the first appearance of the bird...

ok, i'll answer it, although i'm out of trivia questions.

yellow piss-bird-- "nurse, nurse, where's dr. thomas? dr. thomas gave me codeine yesterday. where's dr. thomas?"..."can i have a coughdrop?"

Jeez, I got the question wrong. I though the answer was a title, not a quote. So much for close reading. No wonder I washed out as a deconstructionist.

James, you're going to have to come up with something, because you are correct, sir.

As an aside, All the Assholes in the World and Mine is not only the best title of a book ever, but my favorite Buk story; perhaps only challenged by Life and Death in the Charity Ward.

Absolutely brilliant the way he can take a brutal event and make it funny as shit.

Well, Horsemeat is also great, but that's a series of poems, really.

And David: You may have washed out as a deconstructionist, but not as a poet or painter. Priorities indeed.

Thank you for the easy one, James.

In which poem did Bukowski write:

....the whole idea of
life and people
repulsed me
but it was easier to
scrounge drinks off the
right-wingers
than off old women
in the bars.

"what will the neighbors think"?

thanks mr. google search engine

okay. where did esteemed forum member Purple Stickpin get his name from?

Oh come on? It was from Post Office. His wife Barbara Fry had a co-worker who wore a purple stick pin tie clasp or something like that. She ended up leaving Hank for the guy who I think I remember was Turkish.

haha! sorry - didn't realize it was so obvious. that scene where they're eating snails and she starts vomiting cause of the snails 'tiny assholes' is too funny. anyways your up.

I vote for a few true or false questions.
Enough with this intellectual masturbation so you can shoot further than the other.:eek:

I vote for a few true or false questions.
Enough with this intellectual masturbation so you can shoot further than the other.:eek:

Now that I am coherent. Why must things be so soft and easy? Sure many of us relax here but competition can be a relaxing form of recreation. Challenge you mind and your resources live life to the fullest and test your ability to recall that which you have lived through.

Now for a real question about the trivial words of Bukowski. I know there is nothing trivial about the words of Bukowski.

What poem do these words come form:
"come on, baby, let's get
along, it's
easy. . ."

"not for me!" she screamed,
"not for
me!"

she ran into the bathroom to
put on her
makeup.
I got up for another
beer.

[skip to the end of the poem]
I looked at the closed door
and at the doorknob
and strangely
I didn't feel
alone.

I know someone mentioned it here before and I was looking at MS Word compared to the manuscripts from the time after he got the MAC, I say Template Gothic. My final answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back