Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
not according to what i read. but as we all know, buk said many contradictory things throughout the years. i have an interview here that has him stating otherwise....

Thanks...

Ok, here goes:

How much money did City Lights pay Buk in advance for a new edition of "Notes Of A Dirty Old Man"?

We're not talking about the first edition from Essex House! We're talking about how much City Lights payed Buk in advance for a new edition of Notes!
I believe this new edition from City Lights was published in 1973.
(maybe I should call it the second edition, since Essex House published the first edition in '69)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was much more than $2000. Too bad you don't have any bio's. If nobody answers the question within a couple of days I'll post it along with my source, and post another question instead.

OK, after writing Hollywood, Buk became very ill and was diagnosed with TB. He was put on a long course of antibiotics which prevented him from drinking. On what date was he able to resume drinking after this treatment?

Close, but no (I have two sources now; one of which is the book you cited). I think in that letter that Buk is writing about being normal again when he does smoke and drink again, not that he has yet. But keep reading...

ahhh...
pronounced cured of tb on nov. 13th, 1989. letter dated jan. 28, 1990-"back on wine, beer, cigars..."

reach for the sun, page 132

i was almost right. ps was looking for 11-14-89, the day after his antibiotics ran out and he was allowed to drink again. i was looking for the first letter where he MENTIONED drinking again. anyway, here's another one:

when was the only time bukowski said he felt ashamed of his poverty and/or being poor? it may have been mentioned in one of his novels...

Was it in Factotum when he was walking in the rain with his shoe polish-covered suitcase and it rubbed all over his trouser leg and the high yellow called him "poor white trash?"

Ans: No, it wasn't. I thought I remembered a mention of feeling embarrassed at the time, but no.

When his turn signal wouldn't work on his VW and he had to put out his aching arm (aching from sorting mail) to make the turn?

wasn't it something about Buk being on the racetrack and asking the guy responsible for parking cars to pick up his old car?

..or when he couldn't afford to put a gravestone on Jane's grave?
I remember her no-good son never did so, even though he promised Buk.

"I drove the car along. Somehow, that had hurt.
Maybe all the years of poverty had just given me a certain look.
[...] I still felt diminished."

(Hollywood, chpt 9)

NOPE! I don't think that was it, since it was more about a real estate than a car. But just read that one and found it matching - somehow.

no answer? ok, he was tryin' to start his car outside of a wealthy woman's house in the hollywood hills and the neighbors were staring at him. he was embarassed and just wanted to get the hell out and mentioned being ashamed of his poverty, and it was a rare feeling.

how about this: what does "cold dogs in the courtyard" refer to?

i thought so too, but many of these appeared in Outsider, SF Review, etc, before being published in CDitC.

I know that Bukowski chose these and seem to remember reading that they were rejected in the intro, though...

bIll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back