New Trivia Thread - First with the correct answer asks the next question. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was getting really long. Like ridiculously long, so I was waiting for it to die down. No one posted in it for over a month, so I took that as a sign and locked it. You're always free to start another.

I don't know, Gerard, but rumour has it the spit was later used for some water color paintings...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, the difficult answer is...(drum roll)...David Barker!

Next question:

Raymond Carver wrote a poem about Buk. What's the title of the poem?

That's right, Gerard! - A short story? I don't recall at the moment, but I don't think so.

Your turn...

This is easy. How could Bukowski's neighbor's tell the status of his relationship with Linda King from day to day.

Bukfan; Carver's Dog will know the name of the story if he wrote one. Are you here Rodger?

That's right there were more than one. However the bust was not yet bronzed, but you have the idea. Your turn due to the typewriter.

Shit, I'm having a tough time coming up with one....

OK. This is pretty easy (and I could have asked it before, but I don;t think so). When the Webbs were printing Bukowski's book, they had papers stacked everywhere including the bathtub.

What odd thing did they put over the press?

Extra credit, for "It Catches", what brand press did they use?

Bill

Hi,
You got that extra credit right. What about the odd thing that was kept above their C&P Press.

Bill

p.s. The Press was a Chandler & Price 8x12, which is the EXACT press that I have here.

When the Webbs were printing Bukowski's book, they had papers stacked everywhere including the bathtub.

That's right, and Buk made this drawing about how Louise Webb was going crazy over it:

Attachments

• Hank11.bmp
    86 KB · Views: 282
You got that extra credit right. What about the odd thing that was kept above their C&P Press.
p.s. The Press was a Chandler & Price 8x12, which is the EXACT press that I have here.
Who's turn ? Don't make us wait longer please, it's a cool game, I want to play :D

Amb

Gerard and Ambreen can fight it out. Gerard answered the main question, but Ambreen answered the extra credit. The Webbs did build a bed on stilts that they put over their press to save room.

Those folks were hard core....

Bill

Been checking the timeline looking for cars owned and driven by Buk ,after the beemer comes an other one, i believe it's a ricecooker , anybody ?

A Rolls Royce

Gerard and Ambreen can fight it out. Gerard answered the main question, but Ambreen answered the extra credit.
We fought. My uppercut made the difference.

What was Buk's favourite film ?

According to Sounes, "Eraserhead" was his all time favorite movie. He also liked, "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolf", and, "All quiet On The Western Front"...

What, not Barfly? :D

The next car was an Acura wasn't it? But I think he had another BMW later too.

he bought a Lexus at some point. I remember reading an article somewhere about it.

They did have a Lexus in the 90's, but Linda usually drove that. I think she still does...

no not the hearse.
It was a mere joke ;) (I used my Slash smiley for that purpose).

David and Bukfan are right : according to Sounes, it's Eraserhead.

I've seen many horror and gory films but this one is at least the most disgusting film I've ever seen, I was about to vomit my lunch
berk.gif

It's your turn, David !

Eraserhead? Disgusting? That's the first time I've seen someone describe it that way.

The first time I saw it was in the theater when it had just been released and, I have to admit, I didn't care for it much. It wasn't that I disliked it but more that I just didn't really like it. I saw it again maybe a month later with a friend who hadn't seen it yet and, that time, I liked it a lot. Over the years I've probably seen it about 12-15 times and it has aged really well. I still laugh at the same parts and still get a sense of unease from the industrial hum that serves as much of its soundtrack. It's a really good film that needs to be seen more than once to really be appreciated...

... but disgusting?

Pasolini's Salo The 120 Days of Sodom is disgusting. Pink Flamingos is disgusting at times (but funny as hell to us 14 year olds). The Republican Party is disgusting (albeit in a different way).

Eraserhead? Not disgusting.

One more thing, it's not a horror or gore film. It's a really really dark comedy.

Of course it's not a horror or gory film. I just meant that while being used to seeing horrible things without being shocked or disgusted, I happened to find such a film yucky. I don't know if I am clearer.

I saw it years ago, early in the morning. I began viewing it while having my breakfast lunch and I rapidly felt sick. I had to stop eating, open the window to breathe fresh air and make a pause before carrying on the watching. I have progressively erased it from my mind but there are still some elements I can remember...the "baby", these unknown substances spurting from nowhere, etc.
My best friend was much more than disgusted. I told her my uneasiness and one night it was broadcasted on tv she began watching it, rapidly stopped and told me I was a mad girl viewing such films. Her reaction was predictable (she's fond of useless movies like The devil wears Prada...). But mine was not predictable.
Perhaps I would have considered it differently if I had seen it after having known it was Buk's favourite movie. Don't expect me to try it again :D
Nevertheless, I have no problems with Lynch's other films.

Eraserhead is pure German Expressionism, which is why Buk liked it.

Question, an easy one:
What is the name of the Norwegian writer Bukowski admired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back