Newbie (and what's with the SOA references?) (1 Viewer)

Hey guys. I got here from watching the Showtime series "Californication". I'm not sure about the reaction that will bring, but I enjoyed that show. Anyways for the past few hours I've been reading biographical notes about Bukowski, and nevertheless I've been intrigued. Being a compulsive alcoholic myself, and an aspiring writer, Bukowski's works seem like a logical pit stop. As a welcome gift why don't you good folks give me your opinions on navigating Bukowski's works, or chronological suggestions, may be?

I very much look forward to thoroughly enjoying this endeavor. Cheers!

or chronological suggestions, may be?

Novels:
Ham On Rye ---- Chinaski (0-20 years old?)
Factotum ---- Chinaski (early/mid/late 20ties - ?)
Post Office ----Chinaski (33? - 49)
Women ---- Chinaski (50-56)
Hollywood --- Chinaski (early 60ties? - 68?)
Pulp

Thanks again! Should I start reading them in that same order? I saw a thread where readers suggested waiting on Ham On Rye until you've at least read 2-3 of his other ones, like say, Factotum and Post Office. Suggestions?

My suggestion for Buk newbies is always to read the novels in the order I typed in my former post. Matter of taste.

Yet here we all are, and no one murdered yet. What can it mean?

10036542gr.gif

Unrelated question. What's with the SOA references? Looks like you earn the patch with continued persistence in this forum. Right?

Well some stupid TV is slightly less stupid than other stupid TV. :DD

In your case I would suggest reading Women - then maybe Hollywood. Somewhere within and between them there's some hint of whatever essence of Bukowski the perpetrators of Californication tried to convey...

And my other car is another Porsche which also has a broken headlight.

Yes, but it takes quite a bit of persistence. Even to get to Prospect.

They are there to amuse a few of us (probably only me) and confuse everyone else.
Yes I gathered that much.
Prospects and everything. The first nine seem to be ruling this forum. Haha. Good for you.
In your case I would suggest reading Women - then maybe Hollywood. Somewhere within and between them there's some hint of whatever essence of Bukowski the perpetrators of Californication tried to convey...

And my other car is another Porsche which also has a broken headlight.
Cheers for the Porsche.
And thanks for the suggestion. I began reading Factotum last night. Enjoying it so far, and I've a feeling it only gets better. I guess I'll then read Women and move on to Hollywood after.

For reference (since I couldn't remember myself), here are the various user titles and when they pop up:

Prospect - 100 posts
SAMCRO - 500 posts
Redwood Original - 1,000 posts
Road Captain - 2,500 posts
Men of Mayhem - 5,000 posts
V. President/Reaper Crew - Moderators. Those people with the green user names, a.k.a. the persuasive enforcers.
President - Forum admin. You'll have to kill me to get this one. Good luck, you won't be the first to try.
First 9- Members who joined in the first month the forum was open, in ye olden days of January, 2006.
Unholy Ones - This one is only given if/when the time is right. But don't hold your breath. I can't tell you what it means.
Live To Ride - You don't want this one, it means R.I.P. (in the real, forever sense, not just here).

So you can see it's a long way from Prospect to SAMCRO. And most don't even make it to Prospect, because it's unusual for people to post 100 times in a forum. You have to be really sick in the head.

EDIT:

We ditched the patches, but here they are for reference, or old time's sake or something:

patches.png

Last edited:
So you can see it's a long way from Prospect to SAMCRO. And most don't even make it to Prospect, because it's unusual for people to post 100 times in a forum. You have to be really sick in the head.
haha.. I guess that's true.

And thanks for the breakdown @mjp

it still rots me that i missed making that by days...
Looks like you didn't miss it after all. ;)

That wasn't a mercy add! I don't know how we calculated it in the past, but since post #1 was on January 15th, 2006, the first 30 days goes through February 14th. So we've added a few people to the First 9, as it were. Maybe it used to be the first 14 days, I don't remember. But it should be 30. Hell, anyone who joined in the first year was an early adopter. And here we are with 5000 members.

Tidbit: of the 77 people who registered in the first 30 days, 19 were active in the past year. I actually expected that number to be lower - maybe 4 or 5 of us - so there you go.

I still don't know what's it all about, woke up one day and saw someone slapped it on me.
I can only tell the title definitely hasn't anything to do with cramming the forum with YT clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back