Orson Welles Drunk (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member

This is easily the funniest thing I have seen in months. I am laughing my ass off for 20 minutes now (mainly because of the second "Mwaaaahaaaa"!)

Please tell me, wheter I am insane or this is truly great :D

Very funny indeed. I remember those ads. Poor Orson, ever since the Martians invaded and people started jumping out of windows, he was never the same again. He does have a certain Bukowskian, Falstaffian, joie de vivre however. I vaguely remember Dubonnet ads in California also back in the Sixties/Seventies, but perhaps it wasn't Orson in those ads.

The two blank-faced aaactors on the left are very cool also. And the hip party people in the back. It's all so incredible corny. This, in combination with the "Mwaaaahaaaa" cracks me up.

Orson Welles told some interesting stories in the Dick Cavett Show, like this one

Whether they were true or not, he definitely knew everything about aaacting and was a great storyteller and a very charismatic personality. That he gulped down food and booze in great quantities probably only added to it.

The said genius of Citizen Kane still escapes me to this day. Except some maybe interesting technical tricks it always seemed very long and very boring to me.

The initial video saddens me. To think of what he was and what he became is tragic. Much of the genius of Citizen Kane is found in its narrative flow. Plus it took a lot of brass to take on the subject matter in the manner in which he did. He certainly paid for it after the films release.

The said genius of Citizen Kane still escapes me to this day. [...] it always seemed very long and very boring to me.
Because it is boring.

But I think part of the reason that we can't fully appreciate it because it has to be taken in the context of its time, and most of us aren't old enough to have that frame of reference. It's like anything else that's influential or groundbreaking - sometimes, decades later, it's hard for the next generation(s) to understand why it was so unique or different. Like a kid today listening to the first Ramones album and saying, "I don't get what the big deal is...they sound just like Green Day..."

You definitely have to see it in the context of its time, otherwise it doesn't make much sense at all. Also I understand that attacking Hearst in a way like this took a lot of balls. I respect that.

I sense that Orson Welles had a lot of originality, energy and probably genius as much as you can have in that field. I only get the feeling at times that after Kane it went to his head a little, understandable, but thus starting his downfall. His other movies doesn't excite me very much either, although I am not a movie expert and guess they are masterly crafted and everything.

The Ramones stole everything from Green Day, Dude.

the frozen peas spot is classic -

"get me a jury and show me how you can say 'in july' and i'll go down on you"

[...] part of the reason that we can't fully appreciate it because it has to be taken in the context of its time, and most of us aren't old enough to have that frame of reference.
It's like anything else that's influential or groundbreaking - sometimes, decades later, it's hard for the next generation(s) to understand why it was so unique or different. Like a kid today listening to the first Ramones album and saying, "I don't get what the big deal is...they sound just like Green Day..."

I'm sorry, I had to quote your whole post in this length. (I know this isn't appropriate)
It was necessary, since it's one of the few moments, when I can FULLY AGREE to the WHOLE statement!

I couldn't 've said it any better and needn't to add anything. So, rate this post as a 'bump' or just an agreement or whatever. The message is: YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! Rightrightright!

I really like MJP's attorney. He may be my favorite attorney. He looks like someone familiar...

cleveland-200x225.jpg

[...] sometime very soon I will probably piss you off.

Maybe your attorney isn't aware of the fact, that you regularly piss people off - but not me.

We love each other, no matter how different we are. And we both know it.

All this is just a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back