Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Butterfly Effect

butterfly_effect.gif

(trailer)

British horror/black comedy The Cottage. Not comic like Shaun of the Dead, but worth watching if you like Chainsaw type slashers.

I know you can really tell a lot about a person by the things they like, you know movies and like that........Brutal choice gigi. *see post #615 this thread. It is a very brilliant story. My kids have a whole pile of those Korean movies like that.

I know you can really tell a lot about a person by the things they like, you know movies and like that........Brutal choice gigi. *see post #615 this thread. It is a very brilliant story. My kids have a whole pile of those Korean movies like that.

Gosh I'm so used to no one ever hearing of these great Korean movies that I assumed it wouldn't be on this thread! But lo and behold - I've proven the old assumption cliche true!

Prior to this movie, The Pillow Book was my fave. Absolutely gorgeous cinematography.

Warning: Do not watch Mike Myer's The Love Guru.

Watch 'Pollock' if you haven't yet. I feel a compulsion to write everytime I watch it. Yes, I know it's about a painter, but the creative energy behind it is intense.

i highly, highly recommend seeing Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. very well made documentary that focuses on his most productive years(late 60's, 70's).

i highly, highly recommend seeing Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. very well made documentary that focuses on his most productive years(late 60's, 70's).

I would like to see that one! I like Hunter S. Thompson. Hopefully it'll soon be out on DVD...

Last edited by a moderator:
joe_strummer_ver2.jpg

finally bought this one today and watched it tonight. I was putting it off because I hate goodbyes. if the cliche fits...

it's excellent. when it hit his tenure with the Mescaleros, near the end, I started crying like a baby. I'm still crying. I'm sure I'll stop soon.

yeah, that's right, I'm a pussy.

Saw that in a theater, and we usually stay away from theaters because people are no better than zoo animals when they are in the dark.

Anyway, yes, tremendous movie. Though someone who doesn't recognize all the old faces might have trouble putting some of the commenters into context (no names appear on screen to identify the interviewees).

"Pollock" is simply a terrific movie. Now, here's one I watched last night, expecting it to be a ham-fisted and dated chuckle fest (I had not seen the movie since it's initial release decades ago) but it turned out to be a goddamn good movie ... ready? ... Okay ... Charlton Heston in Earthquake. The damn thing was involving as hell with sometimes biting satire (George Kennedy as an apathetic LAPD street cop, Marjoe Gortner in one of his trademark psychopath roles, this time with a unique closeted twist). Some of the soap operatic elements in the first act with retired football star Heston's complicated love life gets a wee bit tiresome but it all pays off in the climax.

And here's the best part about Earthquake I completely forgot ... L.A. is freaking destroyed in the movie. Wiped out. Terrific matte shots by Albert Whitlock.

One of the reasons, perhaps, that the movie works well outside its decidedly crowded genre is that it was directed by Mark Robson, a film-maker with some actually impressive credentials ("The Bridges of Toko-Ri", "Von Ryan's Express", Bogie's last film "The Harder They Fall") with a screenplay by ... Mario Puzo (!)

Pollack is a great film. I have an old VHS copy that I've watched several times.

I remember seeing Earthquake in the theatre in ~1973. They brought in those special speakers that provided "Sensurround (sic)." Supposed to make you feel like you were experiencing an earthquake.

Yes, you can see that they made ample use of the Sensurround gimmick since the earthquake at the center of the film lasts a good 10 minutes and just keeps getting worse and worse ... and, oh yeah, there's that final, just-to-make-things-fatal earthquake in the last act of the movie. (Not to mention the fact that the Hollywood Reservoir busts open)

Fiennes, Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush ... what's not to like? Speaking of Cate Blanchett, I"m Not There is available on my Pay Per View this month. Is it worth seeing? I've read so many conflicting reviews but the premise intrigues me.

go for it.
I'm pretty sure you'll get something you like from it. flaws and all.

Pollock is one of my favourite movies.

"Bad Santa" was much better than I expected; there's a Director's Cut that has a few hilarious scenes that met the cutting room floor on initial release.

been watchin the Butterfly Effect this night again.
still a fine movie even the 2nd time.
will have to look for the original version in english language. will tell you about interesting quotations then ...
maybe.

yeah...I just happened to see it on as I was flipping the channels last night. Kline was absolutely hilarious. Everybody in it was good.

"There Will Be Blood" was exceptional with an astonishing ending that was very similar to the denoument of "No Country For Old Men" -- like the homicidal sociopath Chigurgh in the latter book and film, the sociopath at the center of "Blood" is ethical and warns people who stand in his way that they will be destroyed if they persist in interfering with his plans or break a deal they made with him. No doubt about it, 2007 was a good year for sociopaths in the movies.

The Coen brothers Nailed No Country for Old Men. A book in my eyes will always beat a film but this was a close call. "you dont have to do this" ...

Fargo and Blood simple are worth watching if youve not yet seen them. Im sure you all have.

tKoK - yeah I saw that a while ago too. Billy Mitchell - what's with that guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back