Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my wife and son are away for a few days. I decided today I'm going to have a film festival. but I can't decide between Bogart films and Woody Allen films.

here's where you come in: which should I choose?

here's what I have:

picture.php

picture.php

voting starts NOW!

Haven't you got the Police Academy films? :rolleyes:

I'd start with Bogart, The Maltese Falcon.

whoa! nice little collection you got there. manhattan or annie hall would be a great place to start if you ask me...sleeper and radio days i enjoyed as well.

you can link them with 'Casablanca' / 'Play it again Sam' .

on the Bogart-side of this you'd flank these with 'The Malthese Falcon' and 'The Big Sleep', on the Allen-side with 'Manhattan' and 'Purple Rose of Cairo' - and then you'd buy the Allen-movie 'Deconstructing Harry' which misses in your collection.

I went with Bogart.

The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
To Have and Have Not

I may continue it tomorrow.

re-watching a movie, that every one here knows, I'm sure.
But I guess, you haven't seen it for a loooong time.
(I haven't for over 15 years or so)

And I must say - it still IS fabulous!

Blues-Brothers_Jake-Elwood.jpg

yesterday I saw "Religulous",a Fred Phelps' documentary . I found it very entertaining , almost enlightening . Very funny stuff!
I do not mean to offend anyone who is religious.
The faith of many religious people is questionned in such a way that they wonder themselves what they just said . Larry Charles also directed 'Borat'.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8fPJ6zds8

That's one I'm going to see for sure. I just saw Bill Maher talking about the movie the other day on The Daily Show, with John Stewart.
I'm a great Bil Maher fan...

Last edited by a moderator:
Roni, GREATEST F-ING cop/car chase scene EVER! God, i can't wait to go back to work and see if we have it. It's been years....and now i have a mission. CRB:)

GREATEST F-ING cop/car chase scene EVER!

yeah. but what i like the most is the ubercool attitude of Jake and Elwood.

Like, when they're in that elevator - the whole world right around the building in full riot, time is short, and they are standing in that elevator, where 'The girl from Ipanema' [!] is playing and they don't even move the smallest muscle on their faces:

Blues-Brothers_2-08-40_1a.jpg

or the one and only John Lee Hooker playing on the streets and they're just standing there, faces like cement:

Blues-Brothers_0-56-57_1a.jpg

or all the other little cameos and humor:

Blues-Brothers_1-31-19_1a.jpg

or the whole cool thing in general!!!

Blues-Brothers_0-46-20_1a.jpg

Novel written by Robert Parker, by the by. I don't know if he had anything to do with the screen play. I can't wait to see it! CRB:)

Ed Harris directed it so I will check it out.

Me too! I love a good western. Some of the movie was shot at Dripping Springs, near Austin, at the "San Antonio/Alamo" set that was build for "The Alamo" (2004). It was of course altered to fit "Appaloosa"...

Guy Ritchie is Back and that is what I plan to see. Has anyone seen it?

I went to the movies today and saw Body of Lies which was excellent if you like an action thriller. If you love or hate Leonardo DiCaprio you'll like the movie, same with Russell Crowe.
But....if you want a down to earth believable movie you might not care for it. Ridley Scott made it so you know his track record.

TWBB.jpg

jesus christ. I just watched this. finally.
fucking epic masterpiece in the grandest American style, but still instilled with a dark European influence that always wins me over.

it's rare that a movie that reminds me of sooo many other movies affects me the way this one did. I saw Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Giant, East of Eden, Citizen Kane, A Face in the Crowd, and even a bit of El Topo all wrapped up in this beast.

and Daniel Day Lewis limping around channeling John Huston was excellent.

one of my favourite American films of recent memory.

I agree hooch. I've seen this one three times and each time I'm more convinced that this is best thing I have seen in 20 or more years. A true masterpiece.

blood is good and lets lewis showboat but i highly doubt i'll watch it twice. it just has something missing from it that makes it sit uneasy with me and keeps it from being classic in a On the Waterfront sense.

Hamsun's Hunger:

Just saw the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian co-production of Hunger from 1966.
Its been re-released on DVD recently.
This has to be one of the best film-adaptions of a novel I have ever seen.
Its also one of the best B&W movies I've ever seen.
Wonder IF Buk ever saw it - living in LA I would guess not.
It won the gold palm in Cannes in its day.

It was filmed in the old part of Oslo that, at the time, was just about the same as it was when Hamsun himself was wandering around there, crazed by starvation and full of mad dreams of his own greatness. (All the old buildings are gone now.)

This is a movie you can watch once a year.

The extras has a conversation between Hamsun's granddaughter & Paul Auster who actually hadn't read Hamsun before he saw the film.
Auster curiously mentions that Hunger wasn't available in English around 1967. Perhaps it was out of print or something.

See some snippets here:

and, of course, don't forget: (in the radio-speech at the end he supports the German occupation and urges all Norwegians to stop their resistance and accept the greatness of Germany.)

Burn After Reading, another fine film from the Coen brothers. All the more enjoyable if like me you haven't seen a trailer or heard a word about it...

Burn After Reading, another fine film from the Coen brothers. All the more enjoyable if like me you haven't seen a trailer or heard a word about it...

i love the Coen brothers, but i must say I saved this one for DVD after seeing the trailers, they really turned me off of any excitement I may of otherwise had.

Ah, those pompouse Sex in the City bitches.

Lick - yeah, those always make me laugh. I forget the name of the tv series that started those but they were very funny too.

i'm watching this with a friend of mine tonight, for like the third time. excellent movie.

[This video is unavailable.]

yes, yes absolutely. what? yes...

Written by Steve Martin...we own a copy. I don't feel like watching it now. maybe in a couple of years. Great scene dealing with mistaken identity.

yes i haven't seen it in about a year. but it's good. i like when he is traveling with the band as the roadie and all he listens to are those tapes on how to be a good lover and it actually works.

is it a chick flick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back