Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice little documentary called Kill Your Idols. the story of the New York art punk scene, starting with Suicide, going through Teenage Jesus and the Jerks , Lydia Lunch, Sonic Youth, Black Dice, Liars, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, etc.

it's streaming for one week here.

Ah, those pompouse Sex in the City bitches.

Lick - yeah, those always make me laugh. I forget the name of the tv series that started those but they were very funny too.

Police Squad, isn't it? I've never seen the series, but if its the same quality as the films, I can only imagine.

I always chuckle when I think of Leslie Nielson's "serious" roles in his early career, only to do nearly nothing but spoofs for the last 20 years. Crazy, crazy stuff.

African Underground: Democracy in Dakar

Saw this documentary last week. Its all about the Hip-Hop scene in Senegal. Made me think of reggae & Kingston & Jamaica. Not that I know that much about reggae & Kingston & Jamaica. Plenty of good music there though. Its interesting when one music-form migrates into another culture. The weaknesses are stripped away...

SYNOPSIS: African Underground: Democracy in Dakar is a groundbreaking documentary film about hip-hop youth and politics in Dakar Senegal.

Based on a TV-series, all episodes viewable online her: African Underground: Democracy in Dakar

Police Squad, isn't it? I've never seen the series, but if its the same quality as the films, I can only imagine.

I always chuckle when I think of Leslie Nielson's "serious" roles in his early career, only to do nearly nothing but spoofs for the last 20 years. Crazy, crazy stuff.

Yeah, Police Squad. I remember a scene with him playing basketball. Freaking hilarious. I just watched Dracula: Dead and Loving it. It's kinda weak but Nielson always makes me laugh anyway. The "daymare" part was very funny. I did see him in a "serious" role a few weeks ago. Forbidden Planet. I kept waiting for him to do something ridiculous but it never happened. I was kinda upset by it.

christ, i used to be such a movie buff as recently as a year ago. lately i haven't been sittin' down to watch one of my MANY DVDs...don't have a TV so i've been renting TV shows. hmmm...

well, i will start by saying i've seen two John Cassavetes movies and i fuckin' loved them. Shadows and A Woman Under The Influence were both brilliant films made by a "revolutionary" (i hate using that cliche term, but i think it works here) film maker. i should watch move of the movies in my box set--my parents did pay over $100 to buy me this wonderful gift--but haven't been in the movie mood in a while. maybe this thread will reinvigerate me...

god damn, that's spelled wrong, eh?

and has anyone ever seen Lindsay Anderson's If.... starring Malcolm McDowell? kind of surreal, and in a post-Columbine world kind of scary to think about, but a great film nonetheless.

if it's the criterion box set, watch "The Killing of a Chinese Bookie," pronto.
and the doc on Cassavetes is very good also.
that's a great box set.

17_main_image.jpg

I seen a documentary recently called 'Alone in four walls' (Allein in vier Wänden), a russian documentary, about young boys in a Serbian reform school. It is very harrowing. The filiming and camera work as fucking spectacular. I'm no camera expert but these images looked crystaline. They normalised and otherwise insane situation.

Well worth watching if you can find it. Makes 'western suffering' look like a walk in the park. And western childhood positively Mickey Mouse like.

Harrowing, touching, a draw dropping look at a harsh world and a even worse childhood. Yet these boys are tough as fuck. But will they survive when they are released?

Don't think you can find any footage online, in fact, I'm not sure you can buy it on DVD yet, but when you can I will.

Brillant, FatherLuke. I suggest you give it a watch if you find it. Well worth it.

(My god how many typos were in my last message. Outrageous! My dyslexic mind shames me daily.)

Finally got around to Good Night, Good Luck

Cool period piece - With Diane Reeves singing..

directed by George Clooney
great portayal of journalism
in B&W film

Brillant, FatherLuke. I suggest you give it a watch if you find it. Well worth it.

Thanks Olaf. Will do. It's quite a nice
find. Thank you.

(My god how many typos were in my last message. Outrageous! My dyslexic mind shames me daily.)

No shame, no blame.
We all have our problems.

I know I certainly have my share.

Thanks again, for the tip.

--
Okay,
Father Luke

"Good Night and Good Luck" is a terrific movie, Number 6.

Finally got around to seeing "Iron Man" on PPV last eve. Fun movie and who woulda guessed such great acting turns from Downey and Paltrow in a super-hero flick.

I always wondered if there was any attempt to make a movie based on Joyce's 'Ulysses'. Then I recently found somewhere this film from 1967, directed by some Joseph Strick. It's black and white and almost 2 hours long. It's very close to the novel. A rarity. Wikipedia states that it was perhaps the first motion picture to use the word 'f**k'.

As I said: a rarity.

Donnie Darko

Wow,
I finally just saw this sci-fi cult hit
And really loved it.

Just saw Donnie Darko the other day.
Started out like some sort of high school flick.
Ended up like nothing else.
Big positive surprise. Gave me a bad dream the very same night!
Spooky. Sort of twists your perception/mind.
:rolleyes:

Anyone check out The Fall yet? Great flick which is a remake of a 1981 Bulgarian movie called Yo Ho Ho. The Fall has much more of a budget and can do quite a bit more with the story, definitely worth a look.

Also. . . greatest movie ever made Terror Firmer. . . watch it and understand.

I watched this several weeks ago. Toni Collette is a fine actress. CRB:)
She is indeed. We will always watch something she's in, regardless of the premise of the movie. It (The Dead Girl) became unexpectedly moving toward the end. Really drew me in.

I'm looking forward to seeing her new show this January on Showtime. It looks to me like it'll be fun, hopefully they will allow her to 'steal the show'; which seems possible with her playing at least 4 different characters. I'll be very disapointed it if comes off as 'trying to hard', the way Californication does. CRB:)

Forced to sit through the Sex and the City movie last night.

What a shameful, stupid waste of time, money and effort that steaming pile of shit was.

Good to see, just to get a glimpse of what a very large proportion of people consider great entertainment. Scary.

The Science of Sleep. Oh my, a great film. Very funny, very moving. Directed by Michel Gondry, who also directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (another one you should see if you have not). In fact he started this film, got the Spotless Mind gig, spent a year and a half making that, then came back to this.

It's French - original title, La Science des rêves (The Science of Dreams), but don't let that turn you off. ;) About half the dialog is in English, the rest in French, some in Spanish...easy to follow though, and well worth it. One of the stars is Charlotte Gainsbourg, daughter of popular bukowski.net singer Serge Gainsbourg, and a fine actor and singer in her own right.

never seen the science of sleep but i loved eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. i must get my hands on this film. guess i'll have to do some searching.

Just watched three Bogart films. I think Buk liked the style of Bogart, something about his voice. Where does he say that again?

The African Queen
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
and Casablanca.

2301370955_8ef7160c87_o.jpg

The story of Ian Curtis and Joy Division.

I must say the have been most haunting. I'll
be watching the movie tonight.

Watched Control yesterday afternoon.
Cable company gives free service now. 5 movie channels, 8 out of 10 are bad movies, so still 2 good movies left. Free access to watch them whenever you want.
Last night I watched Alpha Dog. Based on a true story.
Very good movie. See also the comparison with the last Simpson trial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Dog

too many to read through. but i vote for:

eagle vs. shark
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
oldboy
green street hooligans
the squid and the whale

I fell in love with her! And his quotes are just the best.

And as for Science of Sleep, that is probably the best movie I have seen in years and years and years. I could watch it a hundred times. That's how dreams are with me, I saw someone say that too. I confuse dreams for reality a couple times a week. It's a pain! But see the movie. Ahh. I can't gush enough.

This week I bought 3 movies and watched the 3:

Wild At Heart, that I adored

Sick, Bob Flanagan's life and death, a self proclaimed super masochist . I found the documentary troubling to say the least and a littlle sad.

Timothy Leary's Last Trip, with the Merry Pranksters, insteresting but not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back