Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw The Syrian Bride. Very good, the kinds of things in the world you never think about. Had to read subtitles for 95% of it, even my dyslexic ass could keep up. I was surprised it was made by an Isreali film company. Very objective view of injustices.

Last King of Scotland with Forest Whitaker....Good. Great reminder of historcal events, even if it has been corrupted by Hollywood.

I watched Lost in La Mancha last night. A documentary on Terry Gilliam's doomed Don Quixote project wherein everything that can go wrong does go wrong. Pretty entertaining, though by the end you wonder why Gilliam doesn't just shoot himself.

yeah, the Lost in La Mancha doc was interesting. Gilliam sure is quite a character. But Tideland sucks!

The Station Agent has been playing on IFC lately. I have to watch it every time it's on. I have a problem, but it is one of the best films I have seen in a long while.

Barbet Schroeder documentary

In French with English subtitles
"L'avocat de la terreur", brilliant documentary about a famous lawyer Jacques Vergés who defends unpopular causes, like people labelled as terrorists, revolutionaries, war criminals. Jean-Paul Sartre is cited. Was born of a Vietnamese mother and French father, therefore sensitive to how it feels to be a visible minority.
I think it is a very important film to see since it give you a true perspective on the real workings of justice system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got this in the mail. I'll watch it soon. . .

2179187379_0618551c54_o.jpg

There's a new Kurosawa film out on DVD called Drunken Angel. This is one that Tarantino really loved - you can see Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill sources of inspiration all over the place. The film is actually from 1948, but new to DVD.

"L'avocat de la terreur"...
The Criterion Collection (as opposed to the cirerita collection) has also made Schroeder's documentaries on Idi Amin and Koko the "talking" gorilla available on DVD...both worth a look. Schroeder is a unique guy, but we knew that.

The first two movies by Schroeder, More and La Vallée, are not that good. Kind of boring, if you ask me. But at least the soundtracks are good enough. La Virgen de los Sicarios won me over, though.

Schroeder? Hey, he made a movie in the eighties about some drunken poet guy. Think it was called Barfly. Anyone see it? :D

Sorry.

"L'avocat de la terreur", brilliant documentary about a famous lawyer Jacques Vergés who defends unpopular causes, like people labelled as terrorists, revolutionaries, war criminals. Jean-Paul Sartre is cited. Was born of a Vietnamese mother and French father, therefore sensitive to how it feels to be a visible minority.
I think it is a very important film to see since it give you a true perspective on the real workings of justice system.

I saw it on TV a while back. It's a very interesting documentary.
Btw, the lawyer seemed very fond of cigars...

just watched Volver. Almodovar is mellowing a bit, but it was still very good.

I didn't like Volver nor the previous one, can't recall the title now. I think he's mellowing in the same sense B. mellowed, if you know what I mean.

Bukfan, yes indeed Vergés seemed to love cigars, huge ones, cuban I bet and great art
Hooch I saw Volver and liked it too ,edited in a way difficult to follow but if it is not Holliwood I am generally very happy
Something I saw last year that left an impression on me was "nobody knows", about Japanese guettos, movie made after article ,relating a true story in the paper. That was a shock to me. About 4-5 brothers and sisters living alone in an apartment.

Have you seen Fitzcarraldo or Aguirre or that early movie with the midgets? Crazy motherfucker, indeed.

He's crazy alright. I only heard this recently. British film critic and journalist Mark Kermode was interviewing Herzog in L.A. with regard to his movie Grizzly Man, when someone shot him with a pellet gun (I guess that's a Beebee gun in the US?) Anyway, Herzog was just happy to continue the interview...

The poet must not avert
his eyes.
You have to take a bold look
at what is your environment.
What is around you?
Even the ugly things.
Even the decadent things.
Even the dangerous things.

Snippet:

Grizzly Man (2005) interview in full:
[This video is unavailable.]

Police Academy 1 - 6. The first one was absolutely horrible but every instalment after that just got progressively better

hey! we don't like film snobs here! move on, brother! we're working class!
or something...

hehe, sometimes I just wanna watch something that either makes me laugh or where stuff simply gets blown up (death death death :mad:to all arty farty pseudo intellectuals NOW)

just kidding, adrian. sometimes I don't know when to stop a joke. just ask my wife.

yup, My Best Friend is a nice doc about Kinski. In fact, most docs by Herzog are pretty good. I recently saw the one about the hot-air balloon in South America and that other one, Wild Blue Yonder, or something like that.

Klaus Kinski's greatest achievement was his daughter Nastassja.

You know, the Tess/Paris Texas/Hotel New Hampshire era Nastassja, not the Quincy Jones era what-the-fuck-were-you-thinking Nastassja. ;)

there's a lot of talk about Juno around my parts because the lead actress is from this city.
haven't seen it yet, but it's on the radar.

Eastern Promises ; A very good movie, doesn't really show the face of organized crimes, but rather inside the "family". You wouldn't expect what you'd see eventually, but you'll get the sense of it during the movie.

The Burmese Harp (1956); A very influenceable movie, during the era of the Japanese defeat in WWII.

This Divided State
really interesting documentary about UVSC bringing michael moore to speak in utah 2 weeks before the 2004 election. sean hannity also gets brought in to speak - that dude is such a patronising, smug, smarmy creep.

highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back