Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it has some really interesting extras, too. steven greenstreet interviews an assistant professor of philosophy at UVSC, and he talks about how right-wingers have totally hijacked christian theology for their own political gain.

the funniest part is when the hard-core mormon dude, who insists he represents the community of orem, starts yelling about how michael moore 'hates' america, 'hates' conservatives, 'hates' the values of their community etc., but whenever he's asked to pinpoint exactly where moore ever states this, he has absolutely no answer.

Well now there's no excuse! ;) If you have TCM, I can highly recommend Killer of Sheep and Several Friends. Haven't seen the others, so I will try to grab some of them when they are on.

a70-1842.jpg

a terrific movie, indeed
i never tire of this film
the photography is outstanding
blablabla

I saw 'shooting dogs' the other night and couldn't speak for an hour; so chilling I had to sleep in the oven :eek:

I'm going to see 'The diving bell and the butterfly' next week. The film about the French editor of Elle who became paralyzed except for his left eye and amazingly dictated his memoirs using a series of blinks. It's supposed to be a beautiful film, and I have every faith as it's directed by the painter Julian Schnabel (also directed 'Before night falls' and 'Basquiat', both excellent films)

http://www.thedivingbellandthebutterfly-themovie.com/

if you haven't read the book, i highly recommend it. it's not what i was expecting from that kind of story: it's lyrical and dream-like and it's more about the world the guy was living in inside his head than the day to day agonies of being locked inside his body. beautiful stuff.

It's funny because Schnabels last film 'Before night falls' was about the persecuted writer Reinaldo Arenas. The film introduced me to the writing, and I'm hugely thankful for that because Arenas' body of work is incredibly powerful and moving stuff (the film was actually based on Arenas' memoirs of the same name.)
Soooo maybe once again this director will lead me to another great writer!

i'm really looking forward to seeing the film when it comes out here. i'm really hoping he captures that particular atmosphere that the book creates.

i'm really looking forward to seeing the film when it comes out here. i'm really hoping he captures that particular atmosphere that the book creates.

Saw it tonight. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Let me know when you've
seen it and we can discuss. . .

I saw a bad movie last night: Across the Universe, which includes a cameo from Bono. Dull, dull, dull...

well i finally watched factotum last night... i would have posted this in the specifically bukowski-related film board, but i don't have much to say about it. it was okay, but i'm glad i didn't pay $14 to see it at the movies. it just doesn't bring the funnies or the pathos the way the novel does. i also found matt dillon's performance a little hammy - it seemed more like a stage performance than a film performance.

but i'd really like to see bent hamer's other movie kitchen stories - it looks really good. anyone seen it?

well i finally watched factotum last night... i would have posted this in the specifically bukowski-related film board, but i don't have much to say about it. it was okay, but i'm glad i didn't pay $14 to see it at the movies. it just doesn't bring the funnies or the pathos the way the novel does.

I totally agree. I've seen Factotum in the cinema because a friend insisted to go. Big dissapointment. A year later I bought the dvd for 6 bucks or so, an okay movie, no more no less.

i just read a couple of the factotum threads: seems i'm with the consensus on this film. it must be incredibly hard to translate a novel to film, particularly a first-person perspective, and i think hamer did a decent job. i'm not sure if maybe i would have enjoyed it more if i hadn't read the book. i liked lili taylor's performance - she really embodied the jan i imagined from the novel.

father luke, the current distance between us is not conducive to a fun movie-going experience.

yup, I saw Kitchen Stories a while ago. A much better film that Factotum for sure. It's kind of surreal, funny and sad. To some people it must seem a dull, boring movie, but I don't think so.

Saw 1408 last night. Scaaaaary shit ;)

sounds like my kind of movie. will have to see if i can track down a copy here.

i'm totally out of the new-movie loop. what is '1408'?

1408 is lame! :p
Starts okay but the roller-coaster only goes downhill from there.

Adapted from a Stephen King short apparently. Its about a cynical novelist turned haunted house / hotel guide book writer.

That's true. Just saw Cloverfield. Interesting take on a monster movie.

i saw "there will be blood." after the movie, the person i saw it with said, "i think it should win the oscar for best constant sighing. i liked it, but i wasn't floored by it, like every critic seems to be.

looking forward to seeing that one.

Me too. Apparently Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead) made the soundtrack and it's supposed to be grrrreat, it was supposed to be up for an Oscar but it was disqualified from the running as he uses some sound recordings from a TV show and therefore it doeasn't count as 'original material', load of old balls I say :mad:

watched El Topo last night.
I'm still confused and slightly frightened, don't know if it was good or not, but I couldn't stop watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back