Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night re-watched the first "Bourne Identity" .
I love Matt Damon in these action filled thrillers. It was very good.
Tonight will watch Planet Earth as medication
before my blood pressure scores too high.

The Razor's Edge with Billy Murray. Great adaptation of the WS Maugham book but with a different perspective. One of my favorite books. One of my favorite movies.

3:10 to Yuma. Great western in an old style. Worth seeing on the big screen. I was never a fan of Russell Crowe but now that was something. Love Christian Bale.

I recently saw State of Grace for the umpteenth time. One of my all time favourites. The Fisher King is also excellent, as is Children of Men, 300 and Mystic River. I regularly watch the original Watership Down with my daughter, which happens to be one of my fave books. Dog soldiers is good fun.

As Rubyred said, Carnivale was fantastic tv. As is the Sopranos.

I hate Quentin Tarrantino. Realy, I do!

i watched 'the departed' a couple of days ago: pretty damn good. scorcese on form as usual. the ending upset me, but i don't deal well with non-happy endings, so no surprise there. for such a long movie, it was incredibly well-paced.

I hated the heavy-handed rat ending.
we know he's a rat, I don't need to see an actual rat to clue in. I was a bit let down by that.
just me.

It's a pricey buy at $31.96, but netflix has it, if you do the netflix thing. I don't know if any of the big chain walk-in video rental joints would have it. It's not really mainstream stuff.

But man, what a film! I am in awe of this guy.

Be sure to check out the 1969 short film "Several Friends" in the dvd extras.

I have the the Canadian equivalent of netflix (zip) and I put it in my top ten picks to get here pronto. both discs. I'm a sucker for bonus features.

I only saw disc 1, the "Several Friends" short is on there. Disc 2 is apparently two versions of a later movie he made, haven't seen that yet.

206168~Coffee-and-Cigarettes-Posters.jpg

funny
awkward
bizarre
different
definitely jarmusch

Visions Of Dylan

Todd Haynes "I'm not there"
Cate Blanchett plays one side of Bob Dylan and she pulls it!!!!!
Christian Bale
Carl Franklin
Ben Whishaw as Dylan asked to spell his name, Rimbaud. . .
Marcus Carl,
Heath Ledger
Richard Gere
His influences Guthry and Allen Ginsberg among others

Untitled 37.jpg

I watched Jarmusch's Ghost Dog recently and I loved every minute of it.

There is an Italian film around called The Family Friend (L'amico di famiglia is the original title) and the actor that plays the main character, Giacomo Rizzo, reminded me a lot of Buk. A lot. Here is a photogram from the film, maybe someone will agree with me. None of my friends did ;-)

[...] the actor that plays the main character, Giacomo Rizzo, reminded me a lot of Buk. A lot. Here is a photogram from the film, maybe someone will agree with me. None of my friends did ;-)

i don't know if i'm your friend or not but i see the resemblance in the hair line,
certainly, and the way his bottom jaw is out a little bit more than his top.

yeah. i can see it, sure.

I hated the heavy-handed rat ending.
we know he's a rat, I don't need to see an actual rat to clue in. I was a bit let down by that.
just me.

I could not agree more, hooch. I was actually shocked at that clumsy visual stuck on at the end there. Was that supposed to be funny ? I didn't laugh. And the hell of it is, is that the rest of the film is fine - probably the equal of most other Scorcese films. And then........the rat comes along and fucks everything up. Like a gourmet meal that ends with rotted fruit for dessert.

No Country for Old Men and the Cohen Bros are rumored to have movie rights to some Bukowski books. I hope they do some.....No Pulp for Young Men.

The Stone Merchant, tasteful, very good film,
by Renzo Martinelli, with Harvey Keitel,
a view of extremism,
"Man is the only religious animal,
in the holy task of smoothing his mother's path
to the happiness of heaven,
he has the globe in a graveyard." Mark Twain

Zodiac

A great mystery, based on a true story.
Apart from one nasty murder scene, there was nothing about this movie I didn't like.

Class

Finally got over to theater and saw "No Country For Old Men", great stuff. Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones were brilliant. As per usual with Coen Bros. films the dialogue was just the best.

Rewatching 'The Thin Man' yesterday, reminded me of someone writing about the Hank&Sarah-couple in 'Hollywood', to act a little like Nick&Nora, which of course they do.

What I wonder about is:
Could it be, Buk was intentionally using this couple to build his and Linda's behaviour in 'Hollywood'?

The reason I wonder:
Though Nick&Nora, as a couple, work very fine together (they're even funny, I think) the movie itself is lame, ridiculous, obvious and sucking on the napkin of the rich like some Scott Fitzgerald thing - so that Buk must have HATED that movie. - But then: Around the time he was writing 'Hollywood', Linda has read Fitzgerald's 'Tender is the night' (as we know from two poems in 'You get so Alone'), so maybe she was also reading This book - and he had a look into it. Could also explain his sudden interest in detective-stories, which arouse later in his last novel 'Pulp'.

I know we're into pure speculation here. Anyway - any thoughts on this?

I saw last week the Final Cut of Blade Runner, just out now, and the long documentary Dangerous Days which accompanies it. A definitive edition for fans.

(snippage)

What I wonder about is:
Could it be, Buk was intentionally using this couple to build his and Linda's behaviour in 'Hollywood'?

Could also explain his sudden interest in detective-stories, which arouse later in his last novel 'Pulp'.

I know we're into pure speculation here. Anyway - any thoughts on this?

(/snippage)

Interesting speculation. As we know creativity occurs through an incubation
type process, and all things become ammunition for the muse.

Quite insightful, and worthy of consideration.
Very good roni. Very good.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

No Country for Old Men

Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones were brilliant. As per usual with Coen Bros. films the dialogue was just the best.

I quite enjoyed No Country for Old Men. No Hollywood ending. I thought it was a little unusual for the Coens; many of their films have a good guy wins sort of moral. Good that they stuck with the source. Reminded me a little of their early film, Blood Simple.

i recently saw:
fast food nation - killing floor scenes are pretty horrific, even if you grew up on a farm. interestingly told, you see how the meat industry impacts a whole lot of people.
this film is not yet rated - hilarious and intriguing.
ghost dog - great jarmusch film i had to revisit.
last night - the world is ending at midnight, the movie follows a bunch of characters in their last 6hrs. pretty cool.

my review skills aren't much better than mjp's.

ghost dog - great jarmusch film i had to revisit.
last night - the world is ending at midnight, the movie follows a bunch of characters in their last 6hrs. pretty cool.

2 excellent films.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back