Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You see me laughin'

Saw this film the other day on IFC, thought it was well done

You See Me Laughin' is a full length documentary that takes a look at the often untamed lifestyles of the last great North Mississippi bluesmen and the Oxford, MS based label- Fat Possum Records- that struggles to record them. The film is an exciting collage of exclusive interviews, live performances and personal anecdotes. It includes rare, black and white footage of RL Burnside from 1974, disturbingly funny stories about touring told first hand by Iggy Pop and John Spencer Blues Explosion as well as an interesting encounter with Junior Kimbrough described by Bono from U2 and much more. This is not for the faint of heart.

You See Me Laughin' is a full length documentary that takes a look at the often untamed lifestyles of the last great North Mississippi bluesmen and the Oxford, MS based label- Fat Possum Records- that struggles to record them. The film is an exciting collage of exclusive interviews, live performances and personal anecdotes. It includes rare, black and white footage of RL Burnside from 1974, disturbingly funny stories about touring told first hand by Iggy Pop and John Spencer Blues Explosion as well as an interesting encounter with Junior Kimbrough described by Bono from U2 and much more. This is not for the faint of heart.

This sounds like something I would really enjoy.

You See Me Laughin' is a full length documentary that takes a look at the often untamed lifestyles of the last great North Mississippi bluesmen and the Oxford, MS based label- Fat Possum Records- that struggles to record them.
Saw about half of that too, the rest is waiting on TiVo. It is an interesting film.

Is Bono in every fucking documentary made in the last 10 years, or what?

sounds great, i'll look out for it. speaking of 'not for the faint of heart', i saw an extremely disturbing and controversial documentary recently called 'The Bridge' - about the golden gate bridge being the leading suicide destination in the world.

from wikipedia:
The Bridge is a 2006 documentary film by Eric Steel that tells the stories of a handful of individuals who committed suicide at the Golden Gate Bridge in 2004. The film was inspired by an article entitled "Jumpers," which was written by Tad Friend and appeared in The New Yorker magazine in 2003.

The documentary caused significant controversy when Eric Steel revealed that he had tricked the Golden Gate Bridge committee into allowing him to film the bridge for months and had captured 23 of 24 known suicides which took place during filming phase of the project.

In his permit application to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area Steel said he intended "to capture the powerful, spectacular intersection of monument and nature that takes place every day at the Golden Gate Bridge"

The movie was shot with multiple cameras pointed at a notorious suicide spot on the bridge during 2004. It captured 19 people as they took their final plunge, and then offers interviews with grieving families.

sounds great, i'll look out for it. speaking of 'not for the faint of heart', i saw an extremely disturbing and controversial documentary recently called 'The Bridge' - about the golden gate bridge being the leading suicide destination in the world.

I've been wanting to see this. Is it on DVD now?

In his permit application to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area Steel said he intended "to capture the powerful, spectacular intersection of monument and nature that takes place every day at the Golden Gate Bridge"

Heh, that's not really an inaccurate statement if you think about it.

Golden Gate gets two dozen a year? Damn, then I think I must live a few hundred feet from the second most popular spot, because we get about one a month purposely going off the cliff at Sunken City, here in San Pedro. That doesn't count the other dozen or two who fall out of drunkenness or stupidity.

It is often a grim place for all its beauty. 120 feet of sheer cliff that stretch a quarter of a mile along the point, with piles of rocks and boulders at the bottom. Don't get too close to the edge...

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...e=200406399&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2004

just discovered a movie named 'LAWN DOGS'.

lawn_dogs_ver1.jpg

thanks for the recommendation, roni
enjoyed this film very much

Watched V for Vendetta last night, then got in an argument with some die hard comic book vans for admitting I enjoyed the film.

Also saw Requiem for a Dream and for some reason a weird film called 99 Women

'Hot Fuzz'.
I love everything these boys do, 'Spaced', 'Shaun of the Dead'.

The only annoying thing was that my mate who I watched it with grew up in Wells (where it was filmed) and proceeded to tell me how each shot somehow tied in with his life, oh and he went to college with the director (like I care!)

Anyway watch it, British comedy at it's best :)

I recently watched Waterloo which is a historical film made in the 70's that shows Napoleon getting his butt whipped when he returns to France after escaping his exile on the island of Elba but I could only make it through half the film.
Sometime soon I am going to have a Steve Buscemi movie fest with my friends where we will watch Reservoir Dogs, The Big Lebowski and Ghost World.

Hi,
I just watched BABEL the other night. I thought that it was a great movie. Brad Pitt is not in it that much, so those that were scared off by him being in it would not have to worry much. The real stars of the film are the unknown actors that take up more of the movie (A Japanese family and a Moroccan Family).

It is one of those movies, like Crash, that you have to think about.

Bill

I just watched the Soviet-Russian movie "Agony - the life and death of Rasputin" by Elem Klimov. It's from 1975 and was banned for ten years in the Soviet Union untill the era of Glasnost.
Kevin Thomas from L.A. Times wrote:
"Mesmerizing...highly sensual! Shares an intoxicating headiness with the surreal works of Andrei Tarkovsky"
It's very expressionistic which is not my cup of the. It shows a completely insane version of Rasputin without any redeeming qualities and an unrestrained assault on the ruling classes of Russia. But I guess that's what's to be expected from a Soviet movie dealing with pre-revolutionary Russia. It's very one-dimensional. Rasputin is shown as an insane monster and the ruling classes as greedy and ridiculous.
If you're into Soviet expressionistic movies, then this is the movie for you! If you want to watch a somewhat realistic and believeable movie about Rasputin, then stay away from this one! Watch "Rasputin - Dark Servant of Destiny" with Alan Rickman, David Warner, Ian McKellen and Greta Scacchi in stead. It's the best movie on Rasputin so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
i've been on a dvd-watching binge the last couple of days:
Jarhead - pretty good (but i'll watch anything with jake gyllenhaal in it); the scene where the soldiers are watching 'apocalypse now', sending them into an almost religious fervour (reminiscent of the nuremberg youth rallies), was particularly disturbing.
Little Miss Sunshine - very funny, family sorta film, great acting (esp the little kid and the grandpa) but kinda ruined by a way too simple ending.
The Matador - pierce brosnan playing a paunchy hitman wasn't as much of a stretch as i thought. weird story arc to this movie. still feeling ambivalent about it.
Brick - biggest piece of pretentious, wanky, Lynch-imitating cinematic shit that i've seen in a long time. i wouldn't watch this again if someone paid me.
the first series of Carnivale - i'm up to episode 7 and loving it.

Ah, yes. That would be Eraser Head. An old one, but I recently bumped into it at a garage sale and quickly PURCHASED it. Unlike our footpad friend Pavlovich...A very creative movie with excellent sounds that will make your flesh crawl.

the first series of Carnivale - i'm up to episode 7 and loving it.
Don't love it too much. HBO or the producers or whoever pulled the plug on it before the story is resolved. Same thing they did with Deadwood.

No time to watch movies.
But have stolen the occasional moment to watch "We need girlfriends",
I first saw it on Youtube then found out they have their own website.

I found this to be really funny.
Watch them in order and see what you think.

http://weneedgirlfriends.tv/

I saw Knocked Up last night and truly enjoyed it, except for when they showed the crowning stage of birth and showed it twice in less than thirty seconds. Then again, I may have just been very happy because I had found (and bought) a copy of Run with the Hunted shortly before seeing the movie and I had been looking for the book for a while.

I just saw a small IFC movie mentioned within this thread, "You Me and Everyone We Know". Very simple clever yet a brilliant idea and story. The music was great, the filming was extremely creative for what was probably a low budget and it was funny.

Don't love it too much. HBO or the producers or whoever pulled the plug on it before the story is resolved. Same thing they did with Deadwood.

i read that HBO was going to make 2 2hr cable movies to close out all the storylines, but that was a while ago and i haven't heard anything about it since.

let's be...optimistic? :o

i just finished up twin peaks season 2, at least it had the chance to finish the storylines before getting canned.

i read that HBO was going to make 2 2hr cable movies to close out all the storylines, but that was a while ago and i haven't heard anything about it since.
Well I would like to be optimistic, but history teaches us that no such thing will happen.

Just watched Ask the dust. I like it very much. At first I thought the main actor a little to muscular to play the poor writer Arturo Bandini but the setting was great and the atmosphere was interesting. Selma was beautiful as the Mexican waitress. I can see why Bukowski would love Fante. Very good story and true to the book. I am reading 2 books at once (Catcher in the rye )by Salinger and Run with the Hunted by we know who...

Not Catcher in the rye by Stephen King?
Or that wonderful version by Barbara Cartland?

;)

Sorry... couldn't resist.

I must see Ask the dust. Thanks for the reminder.

"Babel" - One of the best films I've seen in a long time. There are moments in this one that will stay with me forever (I don't think I will ever hear "September" by Earth Wind & Fire the same way again). Lyrical, lingering camera shots, a multi-thread narrative that gently coalesces at the end, music that supports but never outshines any given scene, and a heartbreaking performance by Rinko Kikuchi.

Yes, Babel. Just saw it myself.
A really beautiful film.
I also appreciated the fact that all the 'loose ends' were not conveniently tied up at the end.
More like watching a snippet of life... rather than the normal Hollywood shite.

Really disturbing/funny movie, but best to watch it by yourself. I watched this with my girlfried (now wife) and she did NOT think that this was a good movie. I think the fact that I loved it disturbed her more than anything.

Bill

Just rented "The Secret". I found it very irritating. Same old formula in a new wrapper. I saw it as a capitalism hat trick although positive thinking is necessary... for hope.

I saw "Volver". I liked it quite a lot. Interesting development.Contemporary with a touch of old.

My opinion

The Wire

Finally got around to season 1 of THE WIRE on DVD.
(OK so I'm out of touch.)
Remarkable stuff.
Something is happening to TV nowadays, beats the movies by light years.
Might have something to do with the actual DVD-format...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back