Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody seen a movie called 'My Name Is Joe'? It's a Scottish movie made around 2001 about a recovering alcoholic and general rough lad, trying to keep away from his former life but finding himself getting dragged back into it through no particular fault of his own

Funny, sad and true to a lot of people's lives, it was filmed in the slums of Glasgow I believe, and a number of the extras and a few of the speaking part actors were from the estates the movie was filmed in

The main actor was the guy that played the drug dealer Mother Superior (on account of the length of his habit) in Trainspotting

Well worth a look, although some may need to turn on the English subtitles function

I saw "Volver". I liked it quite a lot. Interesting development.Contemporary with a touch of old.
very good movie...i really enjoy penelope cruz in spanish roles, she's just much more at ease as an actress...

recently i haven't seen too much, but i did see "The Valet" and "Paris, je t'aime" awhile back which i really enjoyed, both french, the first a pretty hilarious comedy, second being a bunch of different tiny love stories

i'd recommend both (well all three including volver)

edit: also, I saw "You Kill Me" with Ben Kingsley and Tea Leoni, very good dark comedy about an alcoholic hitman trying to sober up

Pan's Labyrinth! - Visually amazing, the narrative is very good too; set near the end of the Spanish Civil War. It tells the story of young Ophelia, her pregnant mother, living under the rule of Spanish Fascists; yet Ophelia lives out her life mixed between child fantasy and war reality.

Great film! With worth watching...

I saw Hairspray last night and I'm going to watch Pulp Fiction this afternoon for some extreme John Travolta role contrast action.

Hairspray being the role closer to John's real personality...

Oh, did I say that out loud? Shame on me.

anyone see that GG Allin documentary called 'hated'? fun for the whole family!!!:D

I saw the GG Allin show at a hell-hole in Providence years ago. I watched for about twenty minutes, and then had to go outside. However, I would have loved to see him in the Backstreet Boys line-up.

Not to thread-jack but anyone remember the piano player "Sweet Pie"?

I saw the GG Allin show at a hell-hole in Providence years ago. I watched for about twenty minutes, and then had to go outside.

just a wild guess, but was it when he took a shit on stage and started throwing it at the audience that you 'had to go outside'? :eek:

Il Postino = Italian film about a simple postman who befriends Pablo Neruda, during his exile on an italian island. A short film: romantic, sentimental, simple and touching.

Just saw Michael Moore SICKO. An eye opener, glad to be in Canada and will never leave here without health insurance.I had to laugh when Moore takes the Americans to Castro's Cuba to get treated decently for free. Last night saw "The Perfume". I had read the book ( by Suskind) in French but the movie was still pretty good I think a British production...
Is health insurance that hard to get in the States? Is there any way to get treament without money?

Is health insurance that hard to get in the States? Is there any way to get treament without money?

You can get treatment in the states without health insurance at a public hospital. That is not to say that the healthcare that you set when you are not paying is any good. Also, if there is a big expense it is easy for the hospital to overlook that option for a less expensive (and more dangerous to the patient). Without insurance you will not get an organ transplant. That is reserved for those that can afford it.

Really, even with health insurance, healthcare it is not very good here. With kickbacks to doctors for prescribing certain drugs (the pharmaceutical companies give doctors money and vacations for prescribing their drugs, often new and unproven).

Add to that the insurance companies policies that deny valid claims in hopes that the member will pay it and denying pre-certification hoping that the patient will not have the proceedure.

Then you have the doctors. With a HMO, which many people have, your primary care physician is paid monthly for your care. They get paid if you never come in. They make MORE money if you never come in. If you do come in for routine items, they are paid little or nothing for your visit. This is probably the reason why whenever I call with a problem, I am given an appointment in a couple weeks. If you call because you have uncontrollable vomiting, they tell you that they can see you in a week (when you will either be well or dead), or you can go to the hospital emergency room (Where you will wait for a half a day and your doctor is not bothered.)

Add to that the insurance companies policies that even they cannot figure out. Take this example: You go to the hospital for an emergency surgery. Say it is a pregenancy miscarriage. You call and let your Primary care and OB/GYN physician know that you are going (so that the insurance will cover it). You have the surgery. Once you get home, you start getting bills: From the hospital, from the surgeon, from your doctor, from the Anastheologist (sp?). "These should all have been included in my insurance!" you say. Nope. The Anastheologist is not in our network. You owe them $1000 for the 15 minutes that they were in the room. "But how did I know that they were not in the network?". The answer is that you didn't and couldn't have known as you would not have net them until a few minutes before surgery. Yuo would not have had time to call your insurance company and even if you did, there would be no time and no way for you to get another Anastheoligist. You get who the surgeon and hospital give you.

....nd my family is one are the lucky ones with insurance. For all of this I pay about $3500 a year just to the insurance company and my company pays some more to subsidize me. All of this money paid to the insurance company and they seem to go out of their way to provide as little as possible and to make it as difficult as possible for me to get good healthcare.

I have not seen SICKO yet. I will see it when it comes out on DVD. On a side note, Michael Moore just received a subpoena from the US Govt and faces criminal and civil charges for traveling to Cuba. For a free country it is very odd that it is illegal to travel to some countries that the government does not care for. You have to get approval from our Government to travel there legally. They would certainly not grant it to someone that the Bush administration dislikes as much as Moore. They did grant it to the press corp for the Pope's visit there a few years back.

Sorry for the off topic post, but Black Swan asked!

Bill

I can't believe the mental nature of what seems to be the US health system :eek:

As for Michael Moore and travelling to Cuba......F*ck the government. They have no right to tell anyone which country they can and can't visit

The US once revoked a well known chess player's US citizenship (can't think of his name right now) for the heinous crime of ...............going to play a chess tournament in the former Yugoslavia :confused::confused::confused: But had no qualms selling arms to Iraq in the early 80's

Movie: Sicko

Thank you bospress.net for the info. You have basically confirmed the situation described in Michael Moore 's movie Sicko. It is truly a shame from a government that preaches freedom to the entire world.

The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Robot Monster
The Simpsons Movie
The Royal Tenenbaums
Pulp Fiction
Hairspray
Black Sheep

All this week.

I enjoyed the Simpsons movie even though I am not a die-hard Simpsons fan and I did not understand 100% of the references to prior episodes. However, I felt that some of the jokes within the movie were undeveloped which may have been due to an understandable desire on the part of the producers of the movie to maintain a somewhat straight-forward plot progression and avoid veering off on tangents to fully "play out" some of the jokes and possible directions touched upon in the film.

Thank you bospress.net for the info. You have basically confirmed the situation described in Michael Moore 's movie Sicko. It is truly a shame from a government that preaches freedom to the entire world.
well we sure do have a lot of freedom to preach about....but that freedom doesn't come without some sacrifices...such as living

It reads a tad cynical to me. In order to retain the freedom that Americans have they have to be willing to allow the government to curtail their freedom to not be spied on, tracked, imprisoned at Gitmo without charge for years etc. All in the name of freedom of course :eek:

Maybe...
I love the way yanks are constantly spanking-off about "freedom" and never define their terms. I hear news readers and all sorts of social commentators using the word and sometimes two people arguing... both screaming freedom this and freedom that and, in the end, you realize neither of them (none of them) have the faintest idea what the other one is talking about.
I've been lucky enough to travel the world and the place that most resembles the USA in day to day 'on the street' culture is China.
And that's not a good thing.

yeah FREEDOM!!

It reads a tad cynical to me. In order to retain the freedom that Americans have they have to be willing to allow the government to curtail their freedom to not be spied on, tracked, imprisoned at Gitmo without charge for years etc. All in the name of freedom of course :eek:
exactly!!! go US!!!

USA!!! USA!!!!! USA!!!! USA!!! USA!!!

Not all yanks are blind. I'm not sure what Freedom is, but I know that gulag-style improsinment without any trial is not it. I also know that given the choice over freedom Iraqi style and the death and chaos that they have now, most people there probably wish for none of our "freedom". I can't say that I blame them.

Bill

As Martin Prince says in the Simpsons; "MY CHUNKY BROTHERS...GORGE YOURSELVES AT THE TROUGH OF FREEDOM!!

Oh shit... I hope that wasn't another fat joke!?

that gg allen movie was delightful - eddyflash picked it out for me and him to watch on the netflix and it was good.

otherwise i've been zooming through all of Cromartie High School's DVD's, I can't believe this show was only on for 6 months. *sob

i'd like to go see Becoming Jane this weekend but can't find anyone to go with me, on the basis that this movie will be "stupid"

o, and we've been getting a crash course in Studio Ghibli films, trying to get through all of them before we go to the Studio Ghibli museum, so we can feel cool.

not much help. it's summer. i like cartoons. sue me.

Just saw "Pan's Labyrinth," the new film by Guillermo del Toro (director of "The Devil's Backbone," another really good movie). All I can say is "wow!" An amazing film.

Trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/picturehouse/panslabyrinth/

i agree....a great film
thanks for the recommendation herr chronic

6a00c2251df3318e1d00d414388ba83c7f-320pi

I went to see the Simpsons movie last night. There was many a good gag in it, but the tempo is slower than in the tv episodes. It's an ok movie, as long as you don't expect it to be better than on tv...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw "The Bourne Ultimatum".
From A Robert Ludlum novel
directed by Paul Greengrass
Very well done action movie.
Matt Damon was excellent as Jason Bourne. Being the third movie of a trilogy, it brings it all together. you finally get it ( I mean I finally got it). Generally I come out of an action movie and I am stunned, they had lost in the first half hour and I feel like an idiot because the plot is too twisted. I have to ask someone what has happened.The soundtrack by John Powell is good by itself. **** well deserved.

just finished watching the second series of 'carnivale' tonight - me and my friend did a marathon of the last five episodes back-to-back. it was cool how the plot seemed to speed up as they were losing their production budget. the tar-and-feather scene completely traumatised me - i think i'm going to be having some crazy dreams tonight.

not sure how i feel about the ending; it was obviously a rush job, but i appreciate that they tried to kinda tie things up for the fans.

I can't believe the mental nature of what seems to be the US health system :eek:

As for Michael Moore and travelling to Cuba......F*ck the government. They have no right to tell anyone which country they can and can't visit

The US once revoked a well known chess player's US citizenship (can't think of his name right now) for the heinous crime of ...............going to play a chess tournament in the former Yugoslavia :confused::confused::confused: But had no qualms selling arms to Iraq in the early 80's

Bobby something-or-other. I remember seeing a movie years ago about a kid in the chess club that had that guy as his idol.

By the way, do you know more than you're admitting here? His citizenship wasn't revoked for playing a game of chess. Ultimately, that's what he went there for, but I believe the charge was something altogether different.

Bobby something-or-other. I remember seeing a movie years ago about a kid in the chess club that had that guy as his idol.

By the way, do you know more than you're admitting here? His citizenship wasn't revoked for playing a game of chess. Ultimately, that's what he went there for, but I believe the charge was something altogether different.

His name was/is Bobby Fischer. He became world champion in 1972 when he beat the Soviet player, Boris Spasky (spell?) in Reykjavik, Iceland. Fischer was known as a very eccentric person...

Children of Men [repeated 1000 times]
Saw this yesterday.
Great movie.
Set in the year 2027, just about, but feels more like next year.
A well spent 90 minutes. Good soundtrack too. Wait for the Jarvis Cocker song in the credits. "Cunts are still running the world".
(I always thought they were mostly pricks....)
Or see the vid here:
[This video is unavailable.]
photo_22.jpg

I saw the GG Allin show at a hell-hole in Providence years ago. I watched for about twenty minutes, and then had to go outside. However, I would have loved to see him in the Backstreet Boys line-up.

Not to thread-jack but anyone remember the piano player "Sweet Pie"?

Did GG throw any of his own turds at you?

i watched 'warlock' and 'highlander' last night - total 80s horror/action-awesomeness. i'd forgotten how much i LOVE queen's soundtrack for 'highlander'.

'bamf'?? is this an american term i'm not familiar with? clancy brown was AWESOME as kurghan... and he was AWESOME as the usher/brother justin, in 'carnivale'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back