Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, like i said, I watched El Topo, and then the next night I sat through Inland Empire.sadist?
you be the judge.
I kid.
I was with Inland Empire for the first 2 hours, then it sort of slid away from me. but the acting was excellent and the mood/atmosphere was great.
El Topo, I'm still struggling with. too much religion for a guy who has no time for religion.

yeah.

from here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0192194/

The effect is like watching Leave it to Beaver on acid--a haunting
picture of a family paralyzed by their own dysfunctionality, so pervasive
it is that it virtually crushes any hope of what most of us would call a "normal" life. . .

. . .

I saw a really bad movie last night; Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride: Hunter S. Thompson on Film. It made me appreciate Born Into This as the very first rate documentary it is.

How can you make a dull, lifeless movie about someone like Hunter Thompson, for chrissakes?! It's a mystery to me, but they've done it.

Though if you ever have a chance to see the first 10 minutes of Buy the Ticket for free on cable somewhere, it's worth watching just to see how clearly wacko Gary Busey is.

In the Valley of Elah - A bit bland, but nice slow pace. That girl is beautiful even when she's ugly.

We Own the Night - Another movie with a good slow pace. That doesn't mean I feel it's a great movie, but I'm enjoying slowly paced movies as of lately.

Cloverfield - What did I just say? :D

shortbus lots of unsimulated sex, some very funny lines, quite moving in places, justin bond was awesome, but this was also kinda corny. fun movie, though.

a history of violence not sure about this. it was strange and not what i was expecting.

speaking of corny and funny
if you like rowan atkinson (a.k.a mr.bean)
this film is great for some laughs

200px-Johnny_English_movie.jpg

That's true. Just saw Cloverfield. Interesting take on a monster movie.

i saw it, too
a couple of weeks ago
i liked it....but i wouldn't say it was great
the hand held home video approach
takes some getting used to.
it's not really a story
more like a fictional documentary
and there are things that happen
that don't make any sense
i'm not going to spoil it by going into details

I saw a really bad movie last night; Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride: Hunter S. Thompson on Film. It made me appreciate Born Into This as the very first rate documentary it is.

How can you make a dull, lifeless movie about someone like Hunter Thompson, for chrissakes?! It's a mystery to me, but they've done it.

Though if you ever have a chance to see the first 10 minutes of Buy the Ticket for free on cable somewhere, it's worth watching just to see how clearly wacko Gary Busey is.

thanks for the warning, mjp.
the interview with gary busey
can be found on youtube
what a tripper that guy is.
definitely worth checking out

Personally, I though POLICE ACADEMY VII was dealt a raw deal at Oscar time.

the interview

I knew he was a nut when he lit the cigar with a lighter
instead of a wooden match about 50 seconds into the first vid.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

He uses a cigar lighter. They use gas that does not smell (or taste). They also blow hard, so they can be used in the wind... on a boat say or on a balcony by the sea. (That's the loud SHHHHHHHHH noise you hear when he uses it).
The only place they don't work is at high altitude (as I found out at the top of Mount Fuji) and under water (naturally). They will light a cigar in a tornado though.

Yup, he's crazy... but maybe a good crazy... I'm not sure.

I watched "Key Largo" the other night, I love that movie.

Dr. Strangelove came through Netflix, so I'll be watching that tonight. Classic movie.

Last good movie I saw was tonight, Gods and Monsters, directed by Bill Condon.
It's the adaptation of a book about the final days of director James Whale.

Just finished watching Titicut Follies, a 1967 fly-on-the-wall documentary of the Massachusetts Correctional Institution at Bridgewater, a institute for the criminally insane. It was banned in the US for 25 years (until 1992) and is finally available on DVD. I had seen it about 15 years ago on PBS but since then it was entirely unavailable unless you were an educational institution with $500 to spend for a VHS copy from the filmmaker. An intense and sad film and highly recommended (by me, so take it with a grain of salt).

Just finished watching Titicut Follies, a 1967 fly-on-the-wall documentary of the Massachusetts Correctional Institution at Bridgewater, a institute for the criminally insane. An intense and sad film and highly recommended (by me, so take it with a grain of salt).
Wow, I feel like a dick for not knowing about this film maker, Frederick Wiseman. All of those look like really great documentaries. I can see I'll be dropping some dough on that site.

Of course the ones that look really interesting all seem to be $400, so I guess I'll have to wait for some of them.

saw There Will Be Blood...

I agree with some of the more critical comments above. It was beautifully shot...the scenery, etc was great. But my favorite actor Daniel Day Lewis over-acted so much it was hard to watch. The scene in the bowling alley at the end where he slaps himself and does a weird jig had my brother and I laughing. The music was overwhelming too. I'll have to read the novel by Upton Sinclair that it was based on to see if there was more to the story than the screenwriter showed us in the movie.

I never got this Daniel Day Lewis. I guess that it is just me. I always thought about him as a reviewer's actor. Huge with people in the know, but most people miss out on what they are talking about...

Hell,... What am I talking about?

Bill

I liked him in My Left Foot. I didn't realize until just recently that it was him in that movie, but then again when you are a kid you don't care who the actor's name is.

Other than that though, he's the equivelant of Kevin Costner. Ok actor I guess, but nothing that really stands out to me.

Lewis is definitely the media's darling...

but I thought In the Name of the Father and The Last of the Mohicans were great, and he was great in them.

Other than that though, he's the equivelant of Kevin Costner. Ok actor I guess, but nothing that really stands out to me.

Even though I;m not much of a DDL fan, I would not compare him to Kevin Costner, who I find is a painfully cardboard version of a real human....

There are a couple rules that are in force at my house. One is that I do nto watch any movies with Kevin Costner in them. My wife has been kind enough to not force the issue.

Bill

Agreed that Costner is not much of an actor. I'd make one exception to your rule though... JFK was a really good movie... not because of Costner, but because of the editing and machine-gun delivery of the dialogue in long sections, particularly the part where he sits down with Donald Sutherland and the closing argument bit near the end of the film.

Even though I;m not much of a DDL fan, I would not compare him to Kevin Costner, who I find is a painfully cardboard version of a real human....

There are a couple rules that are in force at my house. One is that I do nto watch any movies with Kevin Costner in them. My wife has been kind enough to not force the issue.

I agree, except for Bull Durham...not even Costner could ruin the performance of Nuke LaRouche:

anc.00151.014.jpg

Elephant. excellent.
Bound for Glory was on tv last night. very good. David Carridine was almost perfect as Guthrie.

now that school is over, i'm on a DVD/movie watching spree:
the illusionist - pretty disappointing. some cool effects, but just a sappy love story.
zodiac - awesome stuff. not your typical serial killer movie. totally avoids trying to give the murderer any motives or character or glorification, and instead focuses on the effects of the whole case on the main players.
running with scissors - lite-weight, a little quirky sorta film. funny in places, and brian cox playing the mad psychologist pretty well.
i'll sleep when i'm dead - dreary brit film with clive owen (which is the only reason i picked it up).
no country for old men - really, really good. javier bardem deserves all the praise he's getting. he totally had me believing he was death incarnate. beautiful cinematography, slow-moving but well-paced. i felt hypnotised, very similar experience to dead man, for me. i didn't notice till quite near the end that there was no soundtrack.

Bardem is a great guy. Don't know him personally, of course, but when he talks on TV he seems a pretty down-to-earth chap. And as a producer he's involved in a few interesting projects.

Watched The Killer of Sheep a few days ago, and it left me largely unimpressed. I mean, it's a good movie, but after reading all the posts here I was expecting something, huh, different... more powerful or something. Maybe there are a few cultural references that I didn't get, who knows.

And the subtitles did help!

I saw The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford the other night. Beautifully paced, gorgeously shot, every scene fades out to black at its end and then fades back in to begin the next. Roger Deakins is a master of his art (cinematography) and many scenes resemble paintings by the likes of Andrew Wyeth or Winslow Homer. This film just looks and feels right.

A tip of the hat to Brad Pitt in the role of James. With his looks and charm, he could have hammed it up to make his character the crazy(!), sexy(!) train robber guy. Instead he plays it low-key, with just a menacing glare here and there. Pretty effective.

And as far as Casey Affleck goes, just give him the Best Supporting Actor Oscar right now. His character (Ford) is a mess of emotions and creepiness. A pathetic little shifty bastard that you can't stop watching. Very compelling.

Toss in some cameos by former Clinton campaign adviser James Carville (governor of Missouri) and rocker Nick Cave (saloon singer) and you have quite a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back