Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this movie like a year ago. It is very good, very believable. It was a tough thing to watch.

dr. love, it may've been you that turned me on to this one.
someone recommended it to me, but I can't remember who.
if it was you, thank ya!

Swingtown/Hancock

Have any of you seen the terribly bad and sleazy TV show "Swingtown" with lots of 1970's pop hits providing the background to the oh-so-scintillating action?
And...anyone plan to see "Hancock"? It's not the sort of movie I would normally see, but I think it's set in LA, my home town...:)

Saw this yesterday.

photo_22.jpg

Best movie of the last year, hands down.

The other night I watched a really really good movie that I would totally recommend to anyone. It's called 'The Station Master', have a look on IMDB.

Well worth a watch, it's independant and very well acted.

Sorry my mistake it is the 'Station Agent'!

For those of you in the UK I've been recommended a film that is on Saturday night, called 'psychomania' (hopefully this time I've got the correct title).

It does look quite mad!

For those of you in the UK I've been recommended a film that is on Saturday night, called 'psychomania' (hopefully this time I've got the correct title).

It does look quite mad!

Psychomania - Saturday 21 June 10:35pm BBC4 (UK)

For much of the time this psychedelic zombie biker frightener is utter drivel, but director Don Sharp throws in some cracking scenes, notably the one in which leader of the gang Nicky Henson rises from the grave, bike and all. Henson has a hoot as the Angel from Hell, and he is superbly supported by Beryl Reid as his devil-worshipping mum and George Sanders (alternately fighting off yawns, knowing winks and blushes) as her ghoulish butler. This British horror cheapie ends up so ridiculous, it works.

SOLD! :cool:

Psychomania - Saturday 21 June 10:35pm BBC4 (UK)

Here's a of what you'll get to sit through. Be sure to lay in a good supply of snacks and drinks as well as something to piss in, since I'm sure that you won't want to miss one exciting moment.

Last night I watched a South Korean movie titled Oldboy that was really good in a sick, twisted, completely over-the-top comic book sort of way. It reminded me a bit of Ichi the Killer which is a classic for those with strong stomachs who like this sort of thing.

Last night I watched a South Korean movie titled Oldboy that was really good in a sick, twisted, completely over-the-top comic book sort of way. It reminded me a bit of Ichi the Killer which is a classic for those with strong stomachs who like this sort of thing.

Oldboy is tame compared to ichi the killer. Oldboy is a pretty good story. A Tale of Two Sisters Click Here Is a good one too. The link has a link in it to IMDb which has trailers.

My kids are into these movies. I know I better not piss them off.;)

Yes, you almost have to watch Ichi the Killer two times in a row due to the "Did I really just see what I think I saw?" factor.

I'll have to add A Tale of Two Sisters to my Netflix queue. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for the link Chronic it looks hillarious, I should add that I have been recommended this movie in the so bad it's excellent way. Having watched that link and knowing what the movie is about I'm gonna have to watch it now, it looks like too good an opportunity to miss!

We rented "There Will Be Blood" the other night. Haw!, that's a film after my heart. DDL does it up dandy in another 19th Century role.

I have a competition in me

Hahahaha!!!

I just concluded two days of films about Joy Division. Last night I watched again which was a really fun little movie (Steve Coogan was terrific as Tony Wilson).

I just watched, "Super Size Me". A documentary about fast food and McDonald's in particular. I know smoking can be dangerous but fast food seems to be at least as dangerous. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
We also saw these recently, all recommended:

10 Items or Less (Morgan Freeman may be the best actor working today)
Conversations with Other Women
The God Who Wasn't There
Betty Blowtorch and Her Amazing True Life Adventures

Oddly enough we watched 10 Items or Less and Conversations with Other Women one after the other, then discovered they were both made in ridiculously short amounts of time (10 Items, 15 days, Conversations, 12 days!)

This movie surprised me. It had some funny parts and at times had almost a cartoon quality about it, although it deals with a very serious subject.

Everything is Illuminated

The music was strange but good. There is a band that could play with T Waits.

Old boy is a great film, I also have seen the other two films
of this trilogy,
worth the watch,
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance.

Has anyone seen In Bruges?

IN%20BRUGES.jpg

If so, did you like it as much as I did? Funny as hell and Colin Farrell almost makes up for all the crap he has made with his performance.

Has anyone seen In Bruges?

If so, did you like it as much as I did? Funny as hell and Colin Farrell almost makes up for all the crap he has made with his performance.

i liked Colin Farrell as Bandini in "Ask the Dust".
I'll check Bruges

i was just going to ask if anyone had seen in bruges too. i didn't like it. i thought it could have been fantastic, and there were performances i liked (i actually liked brendan gleeson better than colin farrel), but i thought the movie tried too hard to be an allegory about redemption, guilt, blah blah blah. plus, while scene stealing, ralph fiennes didn't really add anything new to the unhinged british gangster stock character.

i was just going to ask if anyone had seen in bruges too.
[...]

Gleeson was excellent...Fiennes overacted a bit, but have to disagree with you on your overall impression of the movie. I loved it...thought it worked well.

Just watched Hearts of Darkness, the documentary on the making of "Apocalypse Now." It really shows how much Coppola risked making the film. The scene where Sheen has a breakdown in his hotel room is pretty amazing...along with the fact that he had a real life heart attack soon after.

I've caught a couple of good films recently. 'Zodiac' which was another fine film from David Fincher, the docu-film 'American Hardcore' about the 80's early hardcore punk scene and a couple of films by some German bloke called Werner Herzog 'Fitzcarraldo' and 'Aguirre, the wrath of God'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back