Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my little town the few people who go to the movies don't make a sound. Plus because half of the movie goers are over 70 they blast the sound.
I guess that's why there is so much crime in the big cities.

On second thought maybe I'm the one who makes all of the noise.

I rarely go to the cinema either, but when I do, it usually helps to make it a weeknight late show and to have about 10 empty seats in any direction. The only exception I have made to this was last summer, with The Dark Knight. Though there was some talking and distraction throughout, the whole theatre went respectfully and eerily silent during every one of Ledger's scenes. And that suited me just fine.

I just watched Milk. Good script, good acting (especially Josh Brolin as Dan White) and a good movie overall. I don't think it will win any awards though... there wasn't a single goddamned Twinkie® in sight.

I mean if ever there was a great opportunity for product placement, this was it... and Twinkies go great with Milk, dontcha know.

Dear Zachary.

Wow.

Probably one of the most tragic films I've ever seen, though it somehow still manages to end on an upbeat note.

Highly recommended.

Attention everyone!!!! chronic is right on the money. It came in the mail and I thought, "It's a documentary, ugh." Yeah I knew it was before I ordered it, but it is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. It does have a certain brightness in a very dark subject that you have to see to appreciate. Kurt Kuenne did a fantastic job putting this together while the events were unfolding around him. Wow is right. Thank you chronic.

he did. excellent and faithful adaption.
I've just finished the book and you were right ; it's a so well and faithfully directed film that it's as if Thomas Mann did it himself. I'm really impressed by Visconti's work.
The only difference is that Aschenbach is a composer in the film and a writer in the book but it's a mere one, the character being the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't go to le cinema anymore, because the world is full of noisy, brittle cunts.

And every time I think, "Oh, come on, the world isn't really filled with noisy, brittle cunts, stop being so dramatic!" and try to go to a movie, I end up wanting to kill someone. Or many someones.

Because, you know, no one can just shut the fuck up for 90 straight minutes. I don't know why, but 90 minutes of silence just doesn't happen anymore. Anywhere.

So the answer is TV. For everything.

I'm with this> and WHY? the fuck do people have to sit down right next to you in a half empty theater? It never fails,(plus it's just WEIRD) they can go ANYWHERE but they park their asses next to, in front of or right behind wherever you may be. It pisses me off and I WILL/DO get up and move away- while they stare clueless-the fucking sheep! If I do go to the movies I go on weekday nights when the movie is in final run, and I certainly prefer home viewing. CRB:confused:

Best film I have watched recently is Zatoichi. That's the 2003 Beat Takeshi remake (haven't seen any of the original ones). It reminded me in parts of old Japanese films like Yojimbo and, by association with spaghetti westerns. Worth checking out.

On another thread, I said I was tracking all the complete albums I listen to this year, I'm doing the same with books and movies. So far I've seen 32 movies this year, here's the last 5:

The Pursuit of Happyness- A pretty good flick. I never really wanted to see it, but it was on Showtime last night, so what the heck.

Blow - My girl had never seen it, so we threw it on a couple nights ago. Huge Johnny Depp fan and a lot of the movie was filmed on the street I lived in at the time, and features my back yard in the opening shot.

Sweeny Todd - A week ago and that was probably the 5th time I've seen it. Excellent Burton/Depp work on that one.

Control - The biography film of the band Joy Division. I've had it for a while, and we finally watched it, very rewarding for Joy Division fans.

Revolutionary Road - Honestly, I'm not sure if this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, or one of the best.

On a side note...mjp try the arclight on Sunset blvd sometime. I'm sure maybe you have. However it seems to me, to be the only theater where there is about a 90% chance that you will not be annoyed by noisy distractors. They're pretty strict there and even have the "no-late attendees" policy. You get there late, they don't let you in. It's also assigned seating so you pick your seats during purchase. It's a bit costly, about $13.00 bucks, but anytime we want to see a movie at a theater, we usually only go there.

try the arclight on Sunset blvd sometime. I'm sure maybe you have. However it seems to me, to be the only theater where there is about a 90% chance that you will not be annoyed by noisy distractors.
I guess it's not just the assholes that keep me away. The "experience" isn't all that enjoyable even when you have the place to yourself. Visually, my TV and DVD player do a better job than any theater I've ever been to (much better). And if it's too hot or too cold at home, I can fix that. It just seems like a chore, and borderline masochistic to drive through traffic, park and pay through the nose to go have a disappointing movie viewing.

i feel pretty much the same - don't like the restrictions of being in a movie theatre. but we saw 'watchmen' in a big old fashioned theatre - red velvet curtains, huge chandliers, ornate woodwork - on sunday, and there's something about seeing a movie in a setting like that which makes me feel like a kid again, in a good way. also it was ultra cheap at $6.50, and very close to our house.

we really, really enjoyed it! but it's another one of those things... i mean, don't go see it if you don't like big, epic, action-y, overblown, effects-filled movies. i happen to love this kind of stuff, so i had a great time. it's much gorier than i was expecting, but as jordan explained to me, that fits with the comic book-style of being over the top.

also: don't go if you have hang-ups about seeing another man's penis just waving about on occasion.

I'm a comic geek, so I'm fine there.

and I make it a rule to see waving penis everyday (not mine). just ask mjp.

We don't care.

I just watched 21 at my desk on the computer in the comfort of my home. Pause to answer the phone or get some of those homemade oatmeal raisin cookies with a touch of clove and some cinnamon. The movie was very entertaining and also quite thrilling at times. Netflix watch instantly.

Fuck, man. You need some cool lessons! You don't just go saying everything that pops into your head! What are people going to think now? You better stay away from the house for a while. I have neighbors you know. They might read this.

I'm a comic geek, so I'm fine there.

I hear mjp waves it ceremoniously like like a flag.

But there are instructions:

Read, White & Blew.

Dad gum, he's a proud American...

We need more like him in the rank and file....

Don't be an asshole. All of you and you know who you are. This is one of the best threads in the All things *not* Bukowski section so don't go pissing all over it.

I just watched 3/4 of Eagle Eye action thriller that gets as far fetched as a movie can while still holding your attention.

There is a great old movie theatre in my home town. It's great for a few reasons: firstly it's an art deco style building which has recently been fully renovated (it has also been extended during this renovation but not in a way which detracts from the original style of the place). Also, the films it shows are great - ranging from independent British and foreign fare to the occasional classic blockbuster (Raiders of the Lost Ark and that sort of thing). It also attracts a very civilised crowd of movie-goers and it has a nice couple of bars and places to eat too.
Oh, and I watched Key Largo again on dvd last night. Fabulous.

Let the Right One In - an unusual vampire movie from Sweden. Very good, very original and guaranteed to be made into an inferior major US remake within the next year.

There were a couple of funny subtitle things in it though. At one point a character is breathing heavily and a subtitle comes up that says "Whew!" and in another scene there's a police car in he foreground (marked in big block letter POLIS on the side with flashing blue and red lights... the subtitle? "Police."

At least I thought they were funny.

Let the Right One In - an unusual vampire movie from Sweden. Very good, very original and guaranteed to be made into an inferior major US remake within the next year.

the preview for this looks amazing, and it's showing round the corner from us, but i'm a bit nervous about how 'scary' it is - i like a good vampire movie, don't mind a lot of violence, but there's a certain kind of horror that i can't watch (movies like 'the ring', that sort of thing), so what level of 'horror' would you put it at, chronic?

It's not the type of horror film where you sit anticipating something bizarre and shocking to happen at any moment, if that's what you mean. It's more of a love story between two 12-year-olds (though she's been 12 for a long time) than a horror movie. There are moments of gore, though most are not especially extreme by todays standards. The review I linked to gives a better synopsis of the film than I can. The final shot on the train is brilliant and subtly explains just why a prominent character who dies earlier in the film does what he does.

See it... I think you'll like it.

Watched 'Metropolis' last night. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. It's a bit overlong but worth watching just for the weirdness and some of the most iconic scenes in the history of cinema.

I was bored last night and decided to pick out 'Barton Fink' from my DVD collecion. I wonder if The Coen bros. read any Fante when making the film. Maybe...maybe not, but either way in remined me a lot of 'Dreams from Bunker Hill'.
Gotta love John Goodman too. I also watched a weird film with Bill Murray in set in England. I love Bill Murray too.

There's something about them both, no matter how shitty the film is that they're in (quite often) I always feel like watching it.

Hell yeah, Metropolis is a great science fiction classic. It might be heretic, but if there was an industrial soundtrack added to the original movie, I'd like it even better. Some NIN/Jesu/Alec Empire collaboration.

Hell yeah, Metropolis is a great science fiction classic. It might be heretic, but if there was an industrial soundtrack added to the original movie, I'd like it even better. Some NIN/Jesu/Alec Empire collaboration.
Yeah!

Those stupid old "classic" black and white movies should also be colorized. And maybe computer animated somehow. And probably, you know, like, rewritten for today's audience.

It's a silent movie anyway so I thought it was a fair point to raise, given (I think) the people watching it in movie theatres when it came out would have had music played by an organist or whatever, i.e. not what you hear when you watch the dvd. Also, quite a lot of the film has now been lost. So it's not like the original film even exists in full any more.

Yeah, so why bother trying to preserve it or to experience it as it was meant to be seen, right? Fuck it. Remake! Remix!

Here's a thought - how about leaving what's done alone and creating something new?

I realize that 99.9% of Hollywood just laughed so hard that orange juice and little bits of cocaine came out of their noses, but give it a try, kids.

Whoah there cowboy! I just don't think putting a new soundtrack on a silent movie would equate to the kind of artistic butchery you likened it to. I'm not a fan of remakes of classics etc. so I think we're probably both on the same page on that score (pardon the pun ;) ).

Hunt down the 1984 'version' from Giorgio Moroder. It has colour (well, tints) and an electro-pop soundtrack. Nice.

Also, much of the lost footage has quite recently been unearthed.

saw The Wrestler last night, at yet another great old movie theatre. this one is about a 1min walk from our front door and yet somehow last night was the first time we'd been there (go figure). small in terms of seating, but huge screen, fantastic interior design, and COUCHES! so nice to be able to cuddle up to my 'sweetheart' while watching a movie.

as for the movie itself: amazingly believable performance from mickey rourke, he was utterly perfect in this role and i can't imagine anyone else capable of pulling it off. he played it really subtly, which i appreciated. the best scenes are the ones WITHOUT marisa tomei/rachel evan woods: the parts that focused solely on randy's character and life were really genuine and understated and gritty, but the girl-stuff was just kind of... amateur? i'm not sure how else to describe. the performances in themselves were good, but the script/storyline wasn't right. i felt like the father-daughter thing was not well written at all: i think it would have worked much better if it had been played down way more and less overtly emotional and sentimental - i just didn't buy it at all. the same with the storyline involving the stripper: i think she should have been much less beautiful (tomei might be over 40, but she still has a body better than most, and the whole 'aged stripped' thing didn't work with her in the role, despite her great performance). those two elements were, in my opinion, the two things keeping this film from being one of the best i've seen.

Yeah!

Those stupid old "classic" black and white movies should also be colorized. And maybe computer animated somehow. And probably, you know, like, rewritten for today's audience.

Exactly. Exactly that wasn't my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back