Seen any good movies lately?

Discussion in 'Movies, music, TV, art' started by d gray, May 27, 2014.

1. d gray

d gray tried to do his best but could not First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

this was kinda fun

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. Skygazer

Skygazer And in the end... SAMCRO

Based on J G Ballard's novel published in 1975, the film follows it faithfully, being situated in the mid 70's as a near future dystopia.It follows the fate of a bunch of social climbing, mostly unlikeble people, setting themselves apart in a high rise building. I loved it and I haven't read the book, but I will now.

PhillyDave likes this.
  3. Andreas

Andreas Prospect Unholy Ones

They showed the first episode on German Free-TV last night. Haven't seen it before. Surprisingly good.

4. PhillyDave

PhillyDave rock, hill Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Watched this at 3:30 in the am instead of falling back asleep. I'm still on the fence as to whether it was a great movie or not. It was interesting but it was also painfully quiet/slow. She's mourning the death of her husband by turning the occasional trick...in her home. A lonely film. The ending tho...

jeanne.jpg

hoochmonkey9 likes this.
  5. mjp

mjp President First 9 Reaper Crew Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Do you have FilmStruck or are you watching what's available from Criterion on Netflix (or maybe you bought it)?

I thought Criterion's move away from Hulu to FilmStruck was brilliant until I read that it just some of their collection is available for streaming. If they released it all, they'd really be on to something. I assume they fear eating in to disc sales if they released everything, but you can't get half (or more?) of those Criterion movies on disc anyway, so...

I only have a few Criterion titles on disc. With the exception of A Hard Day’s Night, I had to buy them on eBay, because by the time I found out about them (or had interest in them) they were out of print.

I'm still waiting for the Criterion versions of The Fabulous Stains and Barfly. Not holding my breath for either one, but who knows.

PhillyDave likes this.
  6. hoochmonkey9

hoochmonkey9 Art should be its own hammer. Vice President First 9 Reaper Crew Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Love that movie, but I don't recommend it to anyone. They might think I'm a weirdo.

PhillyDave and mjp like this.
  7. PhillyDave

I do not have filmstruck. I may get it some day. The movie popped up on Turner Classic Movies of all places. The Fab Stains. The one with the punk cameos. Ha! I've seen bits of it on youtube. Amusing. And yes Barfly would be great on Criterion if only for the upgrade and extras, whatever they might be.

8. mjp

mjp President First 9 Reaper Crew Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Well, FilmStruck (great name, guys, keep up the good work) is TCM and Criterion, so maybe not so surprising.

PhillyDave likes this.
  9. d gray

we can't get Netflix in Canada anymore. such a drag...

10. d gray

oops, i meant we can't get the american version anymore.

11. PhillyDave

Kinda going movie nuts. Yesterday saw Uncle Buck with the wife & kids, then watched the Gene Hackman double bill The French Connection and Night Moves. NM is pretty good.

12. hoochmonkey9

hoochmonkey9 Art should be its own hammer. Vice President First 9 Reaper Crew Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Night Moves is a good one, for sure.

Ever see The Friends of Eddie Coyle?

13. PhillyDave

Eddie is awesome and so is the book by George V. Higgins. Peter Boyle & Mitchum man. Great stuff.

hoochmonkey9 likes this.
  14. PhillyDave

That's on my short list for next Criterion purchases.

15. Anybody else see the movie Paterson? I think my parents found it a bit slow maybe. For me it was awesome and meditative and fucking hilarious. Does anybody have an opinion of Jim Jarmusch? I saw Coffee and Cigarettes and I really liked it but I haven't seen much of his other movies.

PhillyDave likes this.
  16. PhillyDave

Yeah, been a Jarmusch fan fer a long time. All his work is really good for various reasons: The cinematography, the acting, the scripts, the pacing...shit- everything.. Check all the trailers out, see what looks cool at a glance and go for it. I'm partial to Down By Law, Dead Man, and Ghost Dog. Oh, and yes. I agree with your assessment of Paterson.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Last Night and hoochmonkey9 like this.
  17. hoochmonkey9

Night on Earth
    Stranger Than Paradise
    Mystery Train
    Mystery Train
    Mystery Train

Oh, and Mystery Train.

Last Night, Johannes and PhillyDave like this.
  18. PhillyDave

How about all of them pretty much? and don't forget Mystery Train.

hoochmonkey9 likes this.
  19. Johannes

Johannes First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Did you guys like Only Lovers Left Alive?

Last Night likes this.
  20. PhillyDave

I only saw half. The contemporary vampire is not my jawn. Dracula and that's about it. It is well done, sure, but I got it from the library and it was overdue so back it went.

21. hoochmonkey9

I saw it but don't really remember it, so...

22. Johannes

Johannes First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

I think the title is kewl. The movie itself was okay but not astounding.

23. Nobody got too into Broken Flowers? I had forgotten about that one until I looked up the filmography. So I guess it didn't make a huge impression on me. Or maybe I just saw it when I was too wasted to really remember.

24. hoochmonkey9

I enjoyed Broken Flowers.

PhillyDave likes this.
  25. The Godard-effect; but not necessarily a bad thing, given the constantly-accelerating sensual mess named "American blockbuster."

26. PhillyDave

Saw this WEIRD movie, The Mirror by Tarkovsky. Yet I really liked it. He's an odd scene. Really cool too.