• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

terror street at sotheby's - dec 11 (and Bukowski site and forum stats) (1 Viewer)

Tipped in. What does that mean? Is it when he did the painting and had it put into the book as opposed to painting the picture on a blank page already in it?

Last edited:
right. exactly. he would paint as many as the edition needed, send them to the great editor and the pages would be attached to the book.

wasn't there a story of him sending a bunch of them off and the paintings were all stuck together by the time they arrived?

Or: $2,500 (Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium).

Still an okay price. A better painting may have garnered more bids, but whenever I believe the abstracts go for less I'm proven wrong, so take that for what it's worth.

yeah i thought that was a really nice little abstract.

btw i've never had one of those in my hands to check but what did they use to attach the paintings and is/was it archival? you guys see any burning or damage on the ones you have or have seen?

No idea what they used as an adhesive (or whether the paintings were added by someone at Black Sparrow or by the bookbinder), but the only damage I've ever seen is some oil bleed through (from the paint) on the page the painting is attached to. That wouldn't be an issue for the earlier watercolors like this one, or the later acrylics.

The paintings that I have or have seen are all attached to a free page up front with a strip of adhesive along the back left side of the painting. I'll see if I can get a picture later.

I don't know about the watercolors, but the oils/acrylics I've seen always have a sheet of wax paper on top of the painting itself, so it doesn't stick to the page on top of it.

That's a beautiful book at a great price, but is it important in the sense of Buk's career? There seems to be a glut of insanely cool Buk items available at the moment, some big ticket items have definitely shaken loose and there are some I'd own if I had the dough. But are most of them truly important in terms of his career? I'd say not really. They all feel like things that will all eventually show up again, and again.
Also, as Purple said, the interest in these things seems to be waning a bit.

Interest in Bukowski seems to waning a bit at the moment (according to the Internet), but it goes up and down.

Forum stats:

stats-forum.png

Main Bukowski site:

stats-site.png

Google search:

stats-google.png

Something will happen at some point and interest will rise again.

I don't know about the watercolors, but the oils/acrylics I've seen always have a sheet of wax paper on top of the painting itself, so it doesn't stick to the page on top of it.
My South of No North has what I would describe as rice paper rather than wax paper as a protector (oy, let's hope this doesn't descend into a materials science diatribe as it did a few years back). This makes some sense as it is thinner and watercolors don't need as much protection - more about the title page than the art itself I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back