The best beers (not the so-called king of beers) (2 Viewers)

What are your favourite beers?

I've bummed around from country to country a lot, so I've slugged a lot of the stuff.

First the hall of shame:

English beer (ie, bitter, some ales) tastes mostly like stagnant piss from a brothel latrine.
There are some great Porters, though, and some of the IPAs are ok.

Most brand American beer is the same. Coors, Budweiser all that stuff. How can people drink that dying child's piss? It's immoral, unethical! ;) The worst beer I've tasted on the planet. There are a lot of great micro-breweries though. One that I always used to get stuck in was in Ojai, CA.

Ireland: I like Irish Red, but you can't buy it in Ireland for some reason. I've only ever seen it exported to Russia, Eastern Europe and the US. Guinness tastes like the filthy water that the shroud of Turin was washed in.

In my experience most of the best beer you'll find in Europe:

Poland: Okocim, Lech and Zywiec

Bavaria/Germany: Hirsch, Zoetler, Franziskaner. Plus all the dunkles, bocks, dopplelbocks, etc. There're hundreds if not thousands to choose from; every small town has more breweries than churches.

Belgium (or course): Westmalle (dubbel, tripel), Chimay, etc. Again hundreds to choose from. This is dangerous stuff, often up to 10% vol. Drink it down, then go eat a rabbit in white wine sauce.

Holland: Palm. Tastes nice while smoking a joint and window-shopping the whores. Like being in an alternate Beverly Hills, but with humanity.

Even Russia: I like the Baltika series (10 or 16 in the series I think). You buy beer from little trucks and stalls on the street where you also pick up your copies of the latest movies or software for 5bucks. And it's a nice break from the voditchka.

There's some Czech stuff I had but I don't remember the name of it. China, too. Drank it, no idea what it was - the chinese font/name of the beer looked like a black intestine. And that's what I had the day after I drank it. There is some great beer over there, though.

Ok, I think that's about it. But having said all that, I should admit that I will pretty much drink anything that is put before me. It's rude not to take alms, right?

---------------------------------------------
I don't know how many bottles of beer
I have consumed while waiting for things
to get better.
I dont know how much wine and whisky
and beer
mostly beer
I have consumed after
splits with women--
waiting for the phone to ring
waiting for the sound of footsteps,
and the phone never rings
until much later
and the footsteps never arrive
until much later.
when my stomach is coming up
out of my mouth
they arrive as fresh as spring flowers:
"what the hell have you done to yourself?
it will be 3 days before you can fuck me!"

the female is durable
she lives seven and one half years longer
than the male, and she drinks very little beer
because she knows its bad for the
figure.

while we are going mad
they are out
dancing and laughing
with horney cowboys.

well, there's beer
sacks and sacks of empty beer bottles
and when you pick one up
the bottle falls through the wet bottom
of the paper sack
rolling
clanking
spilling gray wet ash
and stale beer,
or the sacks fall over at 4 a.m.
in the morning
making the only sound in your life.

beer
rivers and seas of beer
beer beer beer
the radio singing love songs
as the phone remains silent
and the walls stand
straight up and down
and beer is all there is.

I go for Belgian and German beer.
I drank Leffe blond in Canada last year, it's
a good Belgian beer.
The Dutch beer palm is not really special.

And I agree with you on English and American beer.

(I'm still not able to convince slimedog that heineken
is tasting like capitol city-canal water.)

true, Palm is nothing special, but I like a red beer. And it reminds me of good times in Amsterdam.

Yes, Heineken is city-canal water when the sewers have burst their pipes.
I can't remember if you can get real Heineken in the US. You certainly can't in the UK - for years it was only 4.1%. The only Heineken I ever liked I had in Amsterdam.

I'm not a big fan of Leffe, for some reason that I can't work out.

Yes, we have some great beers here ;) !
Though I'm sober for quite a while now ( more than 1 and a half year ), the taste of a cold Brinkhoffs comes to my mind. And a cold bottle of Veltins. And another one, a cold Krombacher. Three excellent beers I highly recommend.
I always thought Budweiser tastes not like beer at all and Grolsch must have been the worst I drank in the Netherlands. But I was not in NL for beer in the first place.

The American microbreweries offer some wonderful selections. Almost every major city in the U.S. have at least one of these hidden - to the untrained eye- gems. The Pacific Northwest is the most popular and versatile region for the microbreweries. One relatively common beer, Anchor Porter and Ale, are easily found at most groceries.

Moose Drool brown ale is a good regional beer from Montana
I love Stone's Smoked Porter out of San Diego
There is a local Pizza place here in La Quinta that makes a wonderful Dubbel called Date Palm

I am also quite fond of Bomia and Negra Modelo from Mexico

Old Rasputin Imperial Stout sits high on my list as well.

I think we've had this thread before but my favories:

Heineken, Fosters, Tecate, Stella Artois, Bohemia, St Pauli Girl, Sierra Nevada, Sappro, Boddington Ale and I don't mind Coors Light at all.

Don't Criticize UK Beer until you Drink an Ice Cold Can of Special Brew or Tennents Extra Strong.Both around 9% and perfect when drunk Ice Cold

All U.S Beer is Week and for some strange reason Drunk Warm

All Euro Beers generally taste sweet to take that bitter taste of the UK Saving them during the 40's troubles

Stella is known as Wife beater for a reason

true, Palm is nothing special, but I like a red beer. And it reminds me of good times in Amsterdam.

Yes, Heineken is city-canal water when the sewers have burst their pipes.
I can't remember if you can get real Heineken in the US. You certainly can't in the UK - for years it was only 4.1%. The only Heineken I ever liked I had in Amsterdam.

I'm not a big fan of Leffe, for some reason that I can't work out.

You get the proper Heineken in the UK now. You didn't use to be able to. Although a lot of draught sold in the UK is shit so I'd stick to the bottles.
A lot of stuff mentioned in here is stuff I like (especially Belgian beers) but another one I'd mention and one you can drink a lot of (a lot of proper Belgian ones you'd only have two or three of) is a Czech pilsner called Krusovice. It's quite hard to get but it's really nice. A bit like Staropramen and Budvar but a bit better in my opinion.
Also like a few US beers that are brewed by micro breweries. Goose Island (Honkers and Pale Ale) and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Don't Criticize UK Beer until you Drink an Ice Cold Can of Special Brew or Tennents Extra Strong.Both around 9% and perfect when drunk Ice Cold

All U.S Beer is Week and for some strange reason Drunk Warm

All Euro Beers generally taste sweet to take that bitter taste of the UK Saving them during the 40's troubles

Stella is known as Wife beater for a reason

Hope that's a wind-up by the way

I stick to german beers, for some reason they taste the best to me.

Löwenbräu and Dortmunder are my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! You're my man, I lived in Dortmund for the past six years.
What has been funny about Löwenbräu ( which is like Lion's Brew ) was that I drank it first when I was in England ca. twenty years ago, it wasn't available in NRW 'cause it's a Bavarian beer. But I could by it in New Milton.

I like the Micro brews here in the States... In the San Francisco Bay Area there are a lot of places that Brew their own Beers which are mighty tasty. The problem I notice with all the import Beers is that they fall under US regulations so they never taste like they should. You don't get to really enjoy them until your on home soil.

the One Eyed Purple Bison Extra Special Reserve Bitter Stout is excellent.
Hmmm... this one has peeked my interest.

I was actually in the Läwenbräu brewery in Munich recently. There's a big bar attached to the side. And up the road there's a great English language cinema.

Labatt Blue. Hands down, the best, IMHO.
actually i really like labatt blue. they've got 22oz cans for a buck! thats a damn good deal when you're down and out in western Virginia.

When I was out in Portland I drank some really fine ale. They're known for their breweries down there. its good stuff. beautiful city too.

Good lord, the list is far too long. This is certainly the Golden Age of beer in the United States. Lately, I've been rocking Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA and locally got into a batch of Sweetwater's "Dank Tank" limited double IPA. Powerful and incredibly delicious.

At the moment I'm in a Lech phase.

Gooood stuff, especially now the off licence near me has a cool 6 for £5 deal going on:cool: Im not a huge ale fan but other beers I drink a lot include:

Heineken
Peroni
Cobra
Stella Artois
Tyskie
Guiness
San Miguel
Becks
Pilzner
Cobra
Peroni
Kozel
Efes
Staropramen
Budvar
Tuborg

Damn, I'm getting thirsty now.

Sir... you are a fool.

This is the juice from freshly squeezed Koalas.

Even Aussies don't drink it and we'll drink nearly anything.

It's true I'm a fool but that has nothing to do with enjoying beer. I grew up in America when we had about 8 beers and Heineken so I might be easily awed but the 25 oz Fosters is heaven indeed-but the regular bottles don't seem that great.

But I hear some europeans go gaga over Budweiser, so who knows.

What do you criminals in Australia like in beer, may I ask?

:)

I like Steinlager and Coopers and most Japanese beers (Kirin, Asahi etc) and Grolsch and Little Creatures and Samuel Adams.

God I like beer.

Sam Adams comes from the East Coast (USA) where I'm originally from and is popular but I don't like it, don't like heavy beers at all.

You told us your favorite beers but what would you say are Australia's top sellers?

In America I think the microbrew is popular on the east coast not so much on the west. And I still see most folks drinking Bud, Milller, Coors.

West coast has some great micros.

A sushi chef at a place I used to frequent in Santa Monica loved him some Coors Light. WE would pound Asahi while he drank that swill.

...don't like heavy beers at all....

You told us your favorite beers but what would you say are Australia's top sellers?

I love heavy beers; I forgot to mention Guinness!

Victoria Bitter (VB) is especially big in Victoria, while Toohey's is biggest in New South Wales and XXXX dominates in Queensland.

I see more people drinking Coopers Green...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eJ_G3PHZ_6I/SQDh7MoAEpI/AAAAAAAABcA/TSuAK-A4bIM/s400/CIMG3474.JPG

...than any other beer.

Cheers!

That's interesting, never heard of any of those beers. Do they spill out 'cause your upside down at all?

Did a quick research and those beers I mentioned are the biggest ones in America. Sierra Nevada is our biggest microbrew and the only one I can stand.

& I had one of those lovely Fosters tonight mate.

Old Style and Schlitz

I like any kind of beer, but these two are among my favorites. Has anyone else here tried the re-formulated Krausened version of Old Style? It's actually really good. Now that Schlitz is backing to it's 1960's formula, I fond myself drinking that a lot as well. They are both great beers...better than MGD or High Life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back