the late season - Stephen Hines

PhillyDave

“The essential doesn't change.” Beckett
Over 1000 posts
Damn. The Late Season. That story truly stays with me. I can't stop thinking about it. There's subtlety and it's brief and it speaks volumes. Also, it's just some sad guy hanging out, then it's so much more than that. I have a limited vocabulary and want to something profound but i can't. The story's really great. Thank you. That is all. At my next opportunity to read i'd like to finish the book in one fell swoop and start all over again.

PhillyDave

“The essential doesn't change.” Beckett
Over 1000 posts
I just want to relay this moment. I'm getting ready for work this morn and my 12 yr older's propped up on my side of the bed on his chromebook with his mother asleep beside him. Just as i'm about to put on my shoes & leave for the day i ask if he's seen my book. He hands me i don't know what from the piles. I clarify for him, "Oh, no. That one. The Late Season." He hands it over and i proceed to go on & on, as i do, about how it's a killer short story collection about humans & realistic life & stuff & it's authentic & so good & the stories are from Canada & grandpa's from Halifax in Nova Scotia." His response? "Dad, i'm glad you're reading again. You know 'cause you were stuck there for a little." "Yeah, i know dude. Thanks for noticing." And thank you again Mr. Hines. The last story left to read.