the late season - Stephen Hines (1 Viewer)

No bother at all. I need the motivation. In addition to being a slow writer, I'm also a lazy one.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Now, if you know of a North American publisher that would like to pick up the rights, hook me up. Ha.

It was a pain trying to get the book in my local library because the distributor is in the UK. I had to donate a copy. My local indie bookstore turned its nose up at it. And I have spent a shit ton of money in there over the past 30+ years.

Ah well.

Why the hell would a local independent book store turn its nose up at a book by a local author?

Is it that they think, because it doesn't come from some literary hotbed (if there is such a thing), that our books just can't have any value? I feel like shops are annoyed by asking, at least sometimes.

It's gotta be a tough racket...wanting to put interesting stuff on the limited shelf space available, only to have readers come in and ask for the NY Times bestseller. That said, I'm pretty sure that anyone who picked up the book would find a hell of a lot to like in it. As I get closer to the end, I'm reluctant to finish because I don't want it to be over.

Leaving for Vancouver for 3 weeks on the 8th! Guess I am leaving with Stephen's the late season, second time around!

69CCF2EE-E9F5-4682-8AA4-B50174C55125.jpeg

Great idea. I'm leaving Sunday for Calabogie ONT. I'll bring The Late Season to re-read & leave it for other guests to read/take. I can think of two other books (Hosho & Carol come to mind) I could leave in my Canadian library too.

Hey hooch, I just wanted to take some time to tell you how much I enjoyed the book. It had been a while since I read something that truly grabbed me. Throughout the week in which I read it, I was kind of busy doing other things, but my mind kept going "Hey man, maybe you should read another story."

What confused me sometimes about the stories, but is what I ended up loving about them, is the fact that they drop you in the middle of something. They didn't feel like traditional stories. They felt like stories about those moments in life in which not much seems to be happening, but a lot is going on, specially through people's heads. Definitely worth the wait.

Keep on writing, man!

btw Hooch. My folks are cool & well read but they don't get around to small press stuff. My father is currently reading Late Season I gave him & digging it. Short stories are not usually his thing. He's often a little off put as to the seemingly abrupt endings. But hey, so far, so good. oh yeah, i never did leave my copy in Canada... well, it's my dad's now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back