Unknown Bukowski pictures? (2 Viewers)

The German MaroVerlag posted this one on Facebook

Buk-a.jpg

I like the old photos; young Buk.
I like both old & young. The pics of him older remind me of my grandfather in good & bad ways...a lot.

Previously unknown picture of the side of Bukowski's head, 1987.

Taken the same day as the Penn/Madonna pic in the photos section of the site.
I read somewhere that Joe Henry the musician grew up & went to high school with Madonna. That's how he met his future wife, M's sister...anyway. They, Joe & Madonna, turned eachother on to Buk's work back in the 70's apparently. So she more than knew who Buk was & is/was a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the caption said mandarines..
These WERE mandarines indeed.

The story in short is, that Buk had a biiig bunch of those from the trees in his garden, filling up to two huge trash-cans (AFTER Linda took to the 'Dewdrop-Inn' as much as she could use as long as they were good). The time was March 1980.

He didn't know what to do with them and Benno Käsmayr, who was up for a visit at the time, suggested to simply bury them. That's the process we see in the picture as well as in the following one:

Untitled-1.jpg

The guy helping Bukowski in the pic is not Benno, but Rainer Wehlen, the translator of the German edition of 'Shakespeare Never Did This'.

(I'm sorry, I can't find those pics in color right now. They must be on a very old hard-drive or CD-R/DVD-R, since it's over 10 years ago, when Benno sent me the original photographs to scan them. The reason I easily found it in b/w is, that I've published this one in our yearbook of 2004 (p.58) along with the background-story written by Benno himself.)

Last edited:
Good catch My grandfather was the same way -- he even wore dress shoes. I think they just saved their old dress clothes for yard work. My dad still wears his old dress shirts when has to spray stuff, paint, or handle brush.

Does anyone recognize/have quick and easy access to a photo:

I think Buk is sitting at his typer, and on the wall next to him is his shelf overflowing with published little mags, zines, etc?

Is it even real? I'm convinced I remember seeing it once (but maybe I imagined it)...

It's real. The shelf is bending under the weight of what's on it, yeah? Don't remember where it is though.

Here is the bigger version of the same photo (from Amazon):

Huge.jpg
Yeah I know it looks smaller than BS's photo, but it's a thumbnail: you have to click on it (and on an arrow, and on a magnifying glass with + on it) to get the original size.

As I am learning, it seems that Bukowski could be more of a misanthrope in general rather than show a disdain specifically to women. Either way, simply because his outlook may have had it's uglier sides, doesn't mean the photos documenting his life aren't interesting, and it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to appreciate his work for other reasons. Does it?

No, of course it doesn't! There are many rooms in MJP's mansion. Misanthropes, klepto's, those with progeria
and even vegans have been treated graciously. The only caveat I've seen is hippies must use the bathroom off
the foyer, and no plushies in the grotto. S'all good.

As I am learning, it seems that Bukowski could be more of a misanthrope in general rather than show a disdain specifically to women.
You should have learned that long before you tried to badmouth the man (in your very first post in a forum dedicated to him and his work, of all the places.)

I doubt this is the correct thread for this zobraks, but really I thought the whole point was to come here to learn things, not have to learnt all the important things before arriving :) No 'badmouthing' was intended, merely questions posed.

Fantastic.
The back of it states "1964". I looks a bit like being from the same series as these:

View attachment 4538

My wild guess would be New Orleans.
These appear to be from the Nash collection @cirerita linked to...

He's leaning against his 1957 Plymouth in one of them, so unless he drove to New Orleans, they would be from Mariposa or DeLongpre (and vicinity). My guess would be DeLongpre, since I don't see the three story Mariposa building in any of them.

(I'm not sure the dates given for the photos on the site are correct - the one in the dark shirt sitting at the kitchen table in the Mariposa apartment is dated 1966, but it's clearly taken the same day as the one earlier in the thread that he signed to Sherri Martinelli with a 1963 date...)

The site lists that these are all public domain photos that are being offered. I have a couple questions:

1) Who was the photographer?
2)How can they be public domain? I know that pre 1923 is public domain as is anything that is photographed for the US Government (or in most cases). These seem to be from a photoshoot in the 60's. Seems that someone owns copyright to them.

The "Nash collection" is huge, and they say it's all "public domain" photos, but I think that would be difficult to prove. Nash also wanted the photos to be freely available to the public, so I'm not sure how selling them accomplishes that. Anyway, it's good to see them.

Nash is/was quite a character. He published Bukowski a few times in his Literary Times in Chicago. I think Bukowski sent Nash all those pics for possible inclusion in Literary Times, Cold Dogs in the Courtyard, and other small press publications.

I remember Bukowski mentioning in a letter somewhere that Nash sent him a flask Hemingway drank out of? Is this correct?

Great photos by the way!

word from Nash who also sent a flask Hemingway took a slug from, and now it’s mine, a nice gift, and it will see use, good use
(to Douglas Blazek, late April 1965, Screams from the Balcony, page 150)

Nash is/was quite a character. He published Bukowski
J.R. Nash wrote a nasty piece on Charlie (Bukowski) too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back