What I'm having for dinner. (5 Viewers)

I poured some albacore tuna into some plain sour cream and used it for dip with Salsa Verde Doritos.
The other day I made a Ziti casserole with homemade meat sauce with a layer of ricotta cheese mixed with parsley and garlic. Topped with mozzarella and Parmesan. Wine was only in the sauce. My wife came home to a hot dinner on the table and a husband who ate and ran.

There's leftovers...fly on out he to Calfornothing and eat big.

I went to meet a CIA operative that I am debriefing and bringing back into society. We have him stashed at a safe house here near Green Acres. He killed himself this morning so there's plenty of leftovers now.

Me and the hound share scraps. Nothing gets tossed-out in the Scribbler house. No compost heap, no gurgling and buzzing sink disposal. More fuel means more action.
I had chili and eggs for breakfast...and chili and Doritos for lunch (Spicy Buffalo flavor).

Last night, pan fried ribeye steaks, mashed potatoes, corn. What sort of ghoul would pan fry a nice piece of meat? Well that's the "funny" part. I heated up the grill outside, came in, prepared the cow slabs, brought them out, laid them on the grill - SSssss... Nothing. I had run out of propane.

Okay, no problem, I'll broil them in that drawer at the bottom of the oven. Brought them inside, turned on the broiler. I can see flames through the little holes in the bottom of the stove. Perfect. 10 minutes later, slide open the broiler: it's cold. Broiler doesn't work on this oven.

That's where the pan enters the picture. Never fried $20 worth of meat in a pan before, so it was kind of hit and miss. They were a bit overdone, but edible. And peppery. I put on lots of ground pepper when grilling, as most of it burns off. In the pan, it just sticks to the steak.

Overall, a disappointing meal. When you've been thinking "champagne" all day, a big flute of Martinelli's Sparkling Cider on the table in front of you is a letdown.

I know how to replace that igniter that is going out in your broiler.
I have had some awesome pan fried steaks in my day. I like garlic on it.

Last night it was fish and chips with shrimp cocktail appetizer.

I hate that when the propane is gone. They sell 5gal tanks with a gauge.

Well I never run out of propane because of the six 100# lb tanks I keep around for running my forge.
And I've figured out how to do some pretty damn good pan-fried porterhouses. You gotta go "blackened". Tons of pepper, VERY hot skillet, no oil. Theyre done when the outside is slightly charred and the inside fairly raw...I dont prefer it to the bbq, but it makes for a pleasant change.

Fried chicken and sweet potatos last night. There was something green there too, but I left it alone.

Bought a nice 12-inch sautee' pan yesterday and broke it in tonight. Decent splash of olive oil, then tossed in 2" cubes of firm organic tofu, browned 'em up slightly. Added diced carrots, onions, salt, pepper....then got stupid.

"Why not make this a rice dish !", I exclaimed to my indifferent 16 year-old cat. After adding about 6 oz. of white rice I realized I had no lid to properly cover the pan. Well, it took awhile but eventually came out OK. I just added water as needed and kept stirring. Hey - cayenne pepper and garlic powder cover a multitude of sins. But my cat still doesn't care for tofu.

I baked a piece of salmon with oil, soy sauce and aneth with lime juice and pepper. Steamed broccoli and salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

I have an eighteen year old cat. I put a small piece of salmon for her in a saucer. She smelled it and ran away as a kitten. I wondered how she registered that smell. So there was more for me. :confused:

one of the spices on the salmon is cat repellent.

My wife threw together some tomato based pasta sauce with Ground turkey meatballs. Lemonade from fresh lemons. Quick and easy.

Black Swan - Cats are an eternal mystery, aren't they ? And the older they get, the bigger the mystery. Last week I drained the water from a can of tuna, threw in a few small chunks and served it to my cat. He gladly drank every drop of the water but walked away from the tuna chunks. 5 or 6 years ago, this would not have happened - he would have inhaled everything and begged for more. He was also non-plussed by a recent visit from a dog to my apartment, whereas in the past it would have been fight or flight.

Back on topic : Today there was no proper dinner - some cheese cubes and crackers with peanut butter, a handful of nuts, and a slice of 3 day-old pizza. Ahh....the bachelor life....

Last night it was a miracle I got the kitchen cleaned when I finished.

Steamed Chinese cabbage with carrots, bean sprout, garlic and a dash of toasted sesame oil and garlic. The main dish was chicken in Hoisin sauce with garlic and spring onion. This was placed on a bed of snow peas with sauteed mushrooms.

Lemonade no vodka.

Hockey game tonite...me and my boy, Hot dogs, cheeseburgers, nachos, ice cream...and cups of beer for me (took a bus). Helluva time. Only one fight though.

Earlier, some steamed broc.(2 small pieces),
Italian wheat toasted garlic bread, dipped into homemade
pork chop gravy. I skipped the chop. CRB

Dinner at work - the Almond Sole special. Filet of sole, pan-seared with a "crust" of finely chopped almonds and herbs (and parmesan cheese ?). With salad, baked potato, and mixed veggies.

Fishsticks on toast with chive cream cheese and a quart of whole milk....okay, and some Oreos...about 5 of em...would you believe 9? All inhaled after laboring late at the torches. The whole house is asleep...tired myself, the full belly and the history channel will surely take me down quickly.

Stubbing My Tongue

A pork loin cooked in a crock pot by the Mrs. After 5-6 hours in that heat/steam bath. Smothered with Stubb's pork marinade. Full jar. Never had it before, and didn't know what the dad-gum to expect. But the logo looked cool, and it was BOGO right next to the loin I bought in Publix.

YeeHah!

Spicey and just right.

Didn't think the kids would dig it.

Needless to say, the little gal had two bowls.

The boy, after an LAX game tonight had three "potato bread" rolls chock full.

The Mrs. dug in for a bowl or two.

And I had two potato rolls that overflowed so much another asshole could have jumped off the side of one and thought he was going over Niagara Falls.

Delicious...

I made some soup from looking on the internet trying to replicate what my Turkish friend's mother made for us once in 1969. It was yogurt soup with fish and lemon juice.
So I used some pacific red snapper that has been in the deep freeze too long- my wife refuses to eat, she is the smarter of the two of us. Plain yogurt, 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice the fish cut up some white onion cooked with some garlic, dill weed and a touch of paprika and some water so it would be soup.
The fish tasted like wax but the broth is heavenly. So I fished out all of the old fish and the soup is fine. There is leftovers so lunch tomorrow is ready to go.

Had some Chinese food delivered. Something called "General Tao's Chicken", which featured deep-fried-but-not-breaded chunks of chicken breast in a garlicky sauce with generous amounts of hot peppers, both whole and chopped. Over white rice.

Yeah, probably. It sounds like the same dish, but I don't think mine was breaded. If it was, then it was a very light breading. I devoured the stuff so fast it didn't matter !

Anyone have any Chairman Mao's chicken?

No, but I do have a copy of about 3-4 pages of Mao's poetry from a ~1972 Playboy. It's hard to say how good it is due to the translation, but it's not bad.

The funniest bit about this mag was the fashion section, which showcased crotched sleeveless sweaters in these really (dare I use it?) gay colors. Really thick thread - very Paul McCartney inspired.

I know, he wields a mean axe, but he was/is also very boop-de-do, if'n you catch my meaning.

Oh; we're talking about food.

Fusilli pasta with Pastene marinara, plus meatballs, corn and peas with a healthy dollop of ricotta cheese mixed in. Chives and parmesano (real) on top.

That dad-gum corned beef I didn't get to cook on St. Beer Day. Big green pot, taters skinned, cabbage cut in quarters, all mixed and currently simmering "” with 3-4 types of mustard ready to go when they all are...some soda bread on the side, too. Yum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined a friend for dinner at a tapas restaurant. A cheese plate featuring a sheep's milk and a goat milk variety, with almonds, thin slices of pear, chopped figs and a saucer of honey. A mushroom/leek tart in a tomato coulis. Dates stuffed with almonds and mascarpone cheese. Grilled scallops sitting in a pool of some kind of reduction with herbs I don't even know and don't care because it was delicious. Plus two bottles of Estrella Galacia beer. It was a late birthday celebration and well worth it.

That sounds really good number6. I had a slice of pizza, Hawaiian style after having a few Irish Coffees with my landlord, who's husband passed away, somewhat unexpectedly in December. It was nice. I hadn't ever really talked much to her, even though I have lived in the house she owns for well over 10 years. I talked to her husband many many times. He was a really really good man.

Great point strange girl, dinner and drinks are usually more about who you share it with and the conversations. My kids are here for spring break so all of the food tastes better.

Many bottles of beer, Baja fish tacos with a side of fresh guacamole, and freshly pickled Mexican carrots with jalapenos. And More beer...more beer, and more beer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back