What I'm having for dinner. (3 Viewers)

Patatos Bravas, broccolli and Cordon Bleu. English Christmaspudding (loaded with Brandy) with cream for desert. (Didn't make it in time, so it was not matured at Christmas, but fortunately it is now). Will be living on just water tomorrow to balance the calories.

Marjan

Sounds a hell of a lot better than the bologna sandwich and Fritos* I scraped together for dinner tonight !

On a related food note, has anyone seen the footage of those meat-processing workers using forklifts and beatings to force cows into the slaughterhouse ? Cows that were unable to stand or walk on their own, by the way - which should have disqualified them for slaughter and required an immediate safety inpection by the FDA. I swear my carnivorous ways are drawing to a close, for practical reasons, if not ethical.

A question I have been asking myself since seeing this footage : Why should the witnessing of my food-supply chain in action make me cringe ? Why ?

I apologize for the "hi-jacking" of this thread. I tend to get emotional when I realize I may have had my last bologna sandwich ever tonight. :confused:
If the mods see fit to spin this off into an independant thread, no problem.

* Fritos are an American-made chip made of corn, instead of potato. ( in case the Frito-Lay conglomerate has not made its way to Belgium yet :) )

has anyone seen the footage of those meat-processing workers using forklifts and beatings to force cows into the slaughterhouse?

yes. worked in slaughter houses, too.

supper was my normal vegetarian dinner.
a couple of soy dogs, and some decaf.

2278906320_bee50d410b_o.jpg

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

On a related food note, has anyone seen the footage of those meat-processing workers using forklifts and beatings to force cows into the slaughterhouse ?

It's bad but then again, that's how factory-farming works. See http://www.kfccruelty.com.

If you want a reason to quit eating meat, this book will provide several. I was a vegetarian for 8 years after I read it. I only started eating meat again after I had lost 60 pounds during chemotherapy.

If you want a reason to quit eating meat, this book will provide several. I was a vegetarian for 8 years after I read it.
I read John Robbins book 20 years ago, and I even gave up eating meat for a couple of decades+ (not because of that book, but it reinforced my ideas). Robbins in an interesting guy, gave up his share of the family fortune (Baskin Robbins ice cream) because he thinks the product kills people. Gotta admire principles like that.

But where I grew up our families hunted and killed a lot of their own food, so I have mixed emotions. My great great grandmother was Oglala Sioux, and she found nothing disrespectful about ripping open a recently living animal and cooking, curing and using it's parts. Quite the contrary, she felt she was honoring it. Those traditions faded the closer the generations got to me, but my father, uncles and cousins still all hunt and eat what they kill.

Seeing those cows pushed around on the forklift isn't pretty, but it isn't pretty to watch your old man gut an elk or a deer that is still so warm that steam pours out of it as it lays there in the snow bleeding out. To me it's just the same thing on a different scale.

Tonight I had a thin sourdough baguette, some gouda and about a quart of ice water (we drink it from the tap here).

I can sympathize with hunting and farming because both my grandfathers made a living that way, too. However, I examine my own dietary patterns and see room for improvement. More veggies, beans, and greens...

As good as time as ever to go vegetarian, seeing as how cows are being forklifted these days into our consciences. Too bad.

I wore a leather jacket through most of my twenties,
when I was a vegan.

"Hypocrite," an employer called me. I was ready for that.

There was this Indian. Kind of a loner. He was a vegetarian,
and he lived alone. He was a Shaman. Make up a history for
him. . .

When it came time for the animals to die, they would come to
him, communicating that it was time for them to die. Then
they would lay down their bodies to be used for his food, and
their skins to be used for his warmth. All this in thanks to him
for letting them and their families live without fear of being
hunted.

The big boss man understood, even though I'd made the story
up.

Then again I was skinning deer before I was twenty. So wutever.

Dinner? Heh. . . the usual
Decaf, Yogurt and . . .

2278906320_bee50d410b_o.jpg

However, I did worry about having my identity stolen tonight because I
bought a phone card off the net. So that was pretty cool.

I wore a leather jacket through most of my twenties,
when I was a vegan.

"Hypocrite," an employer called me. I was ready for that.
Heh, yep, heard the same thing for years. My response was always, "Hey, you killed it, I'm just using the parts you left over."

I was born a vegetarian, if you know what I mean, and I've been a vegetarian -not a vegan- all my life out of pure inertia. No reasons needed. No explanations required.

A "Healthy Choice" frozen dinner, which really should be branded final choice, or last choice. Aside from condiments and some ruined celery down at the bottom, it's the last thing in the fridge.

Prayers will issued for some weekend beer.

Last night was a veggie burger on seedless rye, green beans, and organic tortilla chips.
Rumor has it that talapia will be on the menu tonight.

Catfish, carrots and peas mixed vegetables, salad.
As Morrissey said Meat is Murder but I'll side with the Indians on this.
Back in the 80ties the Smiths refused to do their show on a Dutch music festival because the organizers didn't remove the hamburger stands...

I saw Morrissey on the BBC last year, "later with Jules Holland"? hank solo might recall the name of this great weekly show...
He did a few new songs, not bad at all and he looked healthy.

Yes Ponder, it's Later... with Jools Holland. Morrissey was on it again recently, in February. It's a good format for a tv music show - nice antidote to all the MTV type blipvert channels.

Slimedog,
I once got lost going to Quebec city, taking route 132 and ended up in Le- Chenail-du- Moine. At the end of a dirt road stood this little restaurant by a lake where they only served catfish .I think it was deepfried. I loved it.

Slimedog,
I once got lost going to Quebec city, taking route 132 and ended up in Le- Chenail-du- Moine. At the end of a dirt road stood this little restaurant by a lake where they only served catfish .I think it was deepfried. I loved it.

I just had some this week that I made, it's by far my favorite fish. Well, maybe next to lobster. I first had it in Memphis & you won't find better catfish there or probably anywhere else in the south, it's just not the same.

Last night was something called aloo matar - Indian dish of potatoes and peas in a medium-spicy broth. I served it over brown rice with a few cubes of monterey-jack cheese on the side. I tell you - I'm liking these microwaveable Indian foods. Easy on the budget and bachelor-friendly. If you can read and push buttons on a microwave, you're in business.

Made baked whole wheat lasagna with spinach,tomatoes,ricotta cheese,tomato sauce,garlic,olive oil and mozzarella cheese and cilantro.
and BLACK PEPPER AND HUICHOL SALSA.
was so good I thought IT WAS DELIVERY

I was looking forward all day to having a delicious LaBrea Bakery baguette and Havarti dill cheese, followed by a nip of Bombay Sapphire, but when I got home, Carol said, "Buddy (our Border Collie) ate the bread off the counter."

So we had Gouda and Triscuits. Ha. I'm saving the Havarti for some good crunchy bread.

Damn, that's some good bread. Good choice. Corgis are very smart but their legs are too short to get on the counter. That's the job for the Golden-Lab mix, the Corgi will be the lookout. That kind of counter robbing is called self rewarding behavior our big dog always checks the counters.

Hahahahahahaha. That coming from a true expert in the whole -not giving up.
Quarter to midnight and sharp as the bright morning sun, thank you Father Luke.

Easter and rites of spring

forgive FL this day our daily drunk
as we have come to
forgive those
WHO FUCK UP and make all
of this possible whenever ever is
and ever after too

Cobb Salad - no black olives (as if black olives belong on a salad in the first place), oil & vinegar dressing, with no garlic bread. A Cobb Salad is aka A Chef's Salad. Turkey, cheese, bacon, hard-boiled egg and all other cholesterol sources that can fit onto a dinner plate. Pepsi-cola straight from a "bar-gun" to drink. Cheers.

We ate at a Japanese place, you know, those bento boxes. You get salad, miso soup, rice & then we got some sausages in a roll thing, geyko or something, vegetable tempura, basically vegetable made unhealthy covered in batter, beef terayaki & some suchi-calif. roll.

It makes us feel good thinking we're eating healthy while in fact, it's probably as bad as a Mexican joint.

It's helpful as it makes the surprise more realistic when the knife comes down.

marmite on super grainy toast. this is pretty much what i live on because i'm excessively lazy when it comes to cooking for myself. luckily i work in an italian restaurant so occasionally i eat a decent meal.

some american friends of mine were confounded by the idea of a 'yeast spread' (marmite) so i've mailed them some to taste test. and i'm bringing some over for jordan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back