What I'm having for dinner. (4 Viewers)

i can't wait to come post all my american food eating experiences here! i'm gonna make jordan buy me every conceivable form of american junkfood, and take me to every conceivable american fast food joint.

apparently it takes about ten years to become a proper, fully-fledged sushi chef. how long would it take if they had to actually cook the food?

i can't wait to come post all my american food eating experiences here! i'm gonna make jordan buy me every conceivable form of american junkfood, and take me to every conceivable american fast food joint.

I always gain about 12 pounds of weight in 3 weeks during my visits on the U.S.
When I'm back home I lose 12 pounds in 6 weeks or so...

i'm gonna make jordan buy me every conceivable form of american junkfood...
At one or two samples a day it would take the rest of your life to eat every American junk food. Don't you know all our food is junk?

Or corn. Everything we eat is made from - or fed with - corn, according to some documentary I watched recently. So...hope you like corn. It's a corny joint.

Get it? Corny?

Ha ha ha. Oh, my. I've done it again!

noooooo,........

If this happens it will be hard for you to fit in the door to your house after about a year over here. American food it not so healthy unless you seek out healthy food, but American Junk food is death. That being said, I eat a lot of it, but I know that you might as well pump solid fat directly into your heart...

I'm convinced that the Chinese don't actually eat the food that is served in American Chinese restaurants. I have always thought that this was their version of junk food. I cannot see them eating Egg Foo Young and General Tzo's Chicken for every meal.

Didn't Black Swan live in China for a while? Please tell me that they eat well over there.

noooooo,........
If this happens it will be hard for you to fit in the door to your house after about a year over here.

at least Rubyred will, by then, fit in there, no?

:D i couldn't resist that.

speaking of things we can't resist,
my partner just order a chinese/thai takeaway (thanks bill!):

satay prawn thai style
chicken curry
sweet and sour prawn balls
fried squid w/salt and chilli

she does love a takeaway. i try to point out to her that it's shit, and financially, not in our best interests, but i've hardly got a leg to stand on, so to speak, considering my whiskey consumption.

I'm convinced that the Chinese don't actually eat the food that is served in American Chinese restaurants.

When I lived in North Beach in S.F., adjacent to Chinatown, the rule of thumb was as follows: The only authentic Chinese restaurants were the establishments that were overflowing with Asian customers. Joints filled with hungry, round-eye patrons were serving up the inauthentic slop. Surprisingly, there were more of the former than the latter.

If you have a friend who is genuine Italian, in the U.S., and they go to an Italian restaraunt it will be a very good restaraunt. Real Italians ussually cook their own, so eat at their house if they invite. I don't have any Chinese American friends, but I have a couple of great cookbooks. btw I like the asian people.

btw I like the asian people.

So do I, but living amongst them for a year -- many main thoroughfares out of North Beach pass through Chinatown -- proved to be difficult at times. Many elder Chinese males are phlegmatic and have a tendency to spit their globules on the sidewalk. Walking down Grant Street requires maddening navigation among slow-walking Chinese who gravitate to the center of the sidewalk. Chinese-Americans in Chinatown are not big on eye contact, either, have a tendency to keep their heads bowed. They have superstitious legends that apply to all facets of the human experience but especially to death. There is a morbid fear of death in the Chinese tradition.

They're an unusual and unique people, very mistrustful of Americans (I suppose we've given them good reason to be) and not terribly warm and affectionate.

noooooo,........
Didn't Black Swan live in China for a while? Please tell me that they eat well over there.

So Rubyred go for it, your jeans will tell you when to stop

Bill, close but no cigar ,
I am from Lachine Quebec but the discoverers thought it was China.
But you are in luck I was married to a Chinese man and he was a cook.

No, the Chinese do not eat badly at home, american chinese food is not even their junk food. The Chinese eat very simple foods like rice, rice noodles, very little meat, and they like greens. They love fresh fish and steam a lot or just drop stuff in boiling water or broth for a minute.
They like feasting with their family, then they eat foods with a variety of sauces, often spicy and sweetened.

True the Chinese do not make much eye contact. It is cultural, with a population of 1.3 billion, the asians have learned to move around in their very own private space.

noooooo,........

If this happens it will be hard for you to fit in the door to your house after about a year over here. American food it not so healthy unless you seek out healthy food, but American Junk food is death. That being said, I eat a lot of it, but I know that you might as well pump solid fat directly into your heart...

I'm convinced that the Chinese don't actually eat the food that is served in American Chinese restaurants. I have always thought that this was their version of junk food. I cannot see them eating Egg Foo Young and General Tzo's Chicken for every meal.

god, thanks everyone for trying to talk her out of this. i don't care if rubyred gets super fat or anything, but it would be pretty sad if her heart stopped :(.

what, rubyred, quinoa with lentils for every meal isn't good enough for you?

Ruby - So help me, there are a million delicious ways to research American junk food and spike your cholesterol count here in Chicago. From all styles of pizza, to Italian beef sandwiches to Polish buffets or the ice cream carts and elotes vendors that make the rounds in Humboldt Park, Logan Square, Pilsen etc.. An elote is an ear of roasted/steamed sweet-corn brushed with butter, coated with mayonnaise and rolled in grated cheese (simple white farmer's/chihuahua cheese) and sprinkled with lemon juice and cayenne pepper. There is no better way to get your vegetables - Mmmmm....

It is included on my LAST MEALS SHOULD I WIND UP ON DEATH ROW list.

Which gives me another thread idea...

You might be surprised that this part of America has more fast food Mexican food than your typical McDonalds/Burger Kings in the east.

I've heard of what you spread on your toast but still have no idea what that really is. You won't find that shite here, I'm sure.

You should know that anything you get in fast food you can get in a regular restaurant, pretty much. It'll be healthier but cost more, that's why the poor are so obese in this country (along with a lot of folks who have no excuse.)

But eating healthy, for the most part, will not only nake you live longer but feel better while you do.

Drinking excessively is good though as it kills neurons in the brain and I believe those are the ones that harbor bad thoughts.

made chicken pesto tonight.
(sautee chicken in olive oil. turn heat off. add in al dente [ooo la la] pasta, basil pesto, quartered cherry tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, shredded mozzarella. stir until everything is coated with pesto and cheese melts.)

couple glasses of water
(water is good for you)

J&B scotch
(serve neat, drink until plastered)

bon appetit!

Rotini pasta, tossed with oil and vinegar, sauteed mushrooms, fresh garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Two bananas for dessert.

Dinner at the work-desk again. Yay.

Today : A peanut butter sandwich and a Tylenol #3. Got a bad tooth situation that will not get worked on for a couple more weeks, so the T-3's will be incorporated into my diet here and there. Is it red or white wine that goes with codeine ? I can never remember...

I went to a street fest today and sampled some BBQ ribs and brisket.
8-10 restaurants with huge smokers and grills
and endless slabs o' carnivorous heaven. (my apologies to the vegetarian/heart-healthy/"sane" people on this board :) )

Pork ribs in a tangy sauce, not too salty or ketchup-y. Slow-cooked and tender.
The brisket was lean and sliced VERY thin. Two different restaurants with the same excellent results. I feel like I hit the street fair lottery of good/bad food.

Next time, I'll bring some carry-out.

it's for realz

IMG_00901.JPG IMG_00921.JPG

hehehe... No I wasn't eating alone last night. There were a few of us partaking. That was just one tray, too! There were also tempura vegetables and some of the cone-shaped hand rolls in colorful wraps. And vodka, there were both vegan rolls and salmon rolls. Oh - and also homemade ginger ale.

I thought of the porto,
thought of pouring a glass of red wine
and forgot about dinner,
so I ate a handful of almonds and went to bed:confused:

Now I want to know how to make that. I thought you had to brew that stuff for months.

Share that ginger ale recipe, por favor.

okok... In order to make gG's ale, you get to make ginger syrup and candied ginger. How fun for you!!

Ingredients

2 cups peeled and sliced ginger (sliced to the thickness of a coin)
2 cups water
2 cups sugar - you can use sucanat, but it's not 'right' tasting that way
1 other cup sugar

Some club soda - I like the little mini-cans of Hansens or little bottles of Canada Dry unless I'm serving a lot and will use a whole big bottle.

preheat the oven to 200-225 degrees

To make the syrup:

• Simmer the ginger, water, and 2 cups sugar to a 50% reduction. This usually happens at about 200ish degrees if you like thermometers.
  • Strain the mixture into a jar and refrigerate the syrup.
To make the candied ginger:

• Toss the strained ginger in a bowl with the other cup of sugar.
  • Bake in the oven on a non-stick cookie sheet for close to 3 hours, depending on thickness of your 'coins'.
  • Let ginger cool.
  • Put ginger in a sealed "Tupperware" type container and set aside.
To make ginger ale:

• Put 2 Tbs ginger syrup in a glass (or more to taste).
  • Fill with chilled club soda to taste.
  • Add ice
  • Garnish glass with a piece of that bitchin' candied ginger
Optional Ingredients:

• Citrus juice of your choice - get creative. I like blood oranges or tangerines. Organic is best.
  • Mint sprig - muddle it or garnish with it.
  • Cilantro - no, seriously.
  • There are a million and a half options, get down wit yo' bad self. That one small jar of syrup goes a long way, so you have room to experiment.
I like eating raspberries with this.

Let me know what you think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back