Will it make my iPod? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, if you have a deathwish. or a grudge against your record company.
It's funny, Reed was trying to give the record company something unreleasable, but they (RCA) called his bluff and even suggested releasing it on Red Seal - their classical label!

Reed backpedaled and tried to get a disclaimer printed on the jacket basically telling people not to buy it, but I guess the record company got the last laugh on that one.

He claimed - after the fact - that there were melodies buried in there, but if you've heard it you know that it's really just noise.

It's funny, Reed was trying to give the record company something unreleasable, but they (RCA) called his bluff and even suggested releasing it on Red Seal - their classical label!

Reed backpedaled and tried to get a disclaimer printed on the jacket basically telling people not to buy it, but I guess the record company got the last laugh on that one.

He claimed - after the fact - that there were melodies buried in there, but if you've heard it you know that it's really just noise.

Sounds like somethng I might like :)

Disclaimer: My opinion. I once played a gig at the Zeitgeist gallery here in Cambridge, MA (now defunct), and we did the entire White Light, White Heat album, and I had to learn the entire album in 5 days (I'd never heard of it before that). I learned it in about 3 hours (without junk, btw). Lou Reed; I just don't get it.

Had fun at the gig, though.

Sounds like somethng I might like :)
Ha ha - well, buy it and see!

It is 4 sides, one track per side, each exactly 16:01 in length. The tracks are just a jumble of different kinds of feedback. The left and right channels are completely independent, there is no crossover between them or "center" of the noise. Channels will gain and lose volume, drop out completely...it's like torture, really, and I don't know anyone who has made it through more than a few minutes of it (unless they were trying to prove they were insane). When it came out people returned it to the stores thinking they got defective pressings.

It's something to hear, for sure, just so you can say you've done it (akin to eating kangaroo testicles on Fear Factor or something). But I would try to find someplace to get it free, or someone to borrow it from. If you are a masochist there are two original vinyl copies on eBay right now, one is still sealed.

17. Ok, how about the Cowboy Junkies remake of Neil Young's "powderfinger"...or some Lou Reed. hell, I don't care.....:cool:

Paul Morley had a lot to say about Metal Machine Music in his book Words and Music. Great book, by the way. One of the things he said that stuck with me was that the advantage of having it on vinyl was that you could control the speed. Instead of 33 rpm, play it at 45 rpm or 78 rpm to get through it quicker.

But he added the best thing to to was play it at 16 rpm to helped to lubricate the music. Or something like that, I'm paraphrasing from memory.

Also, on the original pressing, side 4 was a "locked track" (I think that's what it's called). Meaning the needle wouldn't automatically pick up, you had to get up and go to the turntable to stop the torture. Proving finally that Reed was indeed a prick and a sadist.

Although the Velvet Underground is my favourite group. Go figure.

Also, on the original pressing, side 4 was a "locked track" (I think that's what it's called). Meaning the needle wouldn't automatically pick up, you had to get up and go to the turntable to stop the torture.

Flipper did this on one of their singles. The last groove on the side was just an endless loop. It was pretty effective on that particular track.

That's 18, so week er... 3 is done.

Week 3 Tracklisting

1. Tom Waits - Somewhere (chronic)
  2. Motorhead - Ace of Spades (Father Luke)
  3. Noah and the Whale - 5 Years Time (Rob.)
  4. The Band - Chest Fever (Kingcargo.jb)
  5. Joe Henderson - Invitation (Purple Stickpin)
  6. Big Star - Back of a Car (strangegirl)
  7. Johnny Cash & Kris Kristofferson - Sunday Morning Coming Down (hoochmonkey9)
  8. Tom Clay - What The World Needs Now (Digney in Burnaby)
  9. The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset (james)
  10. Richard Thompson - God Loves a Drunk (Erik)
  11. PJ Harvey - Water (mjp)
  12. PJ Harvey - Hardly Wait (mjp bonus track)
  13. D'Mite - Read a Book (hank solo)
  14. Lou Reed - Perfect Day (harrystuped)
  15. Lou Reed - Kill Your Sons (roni)
  16. Soulsavers - Revival (HevyMinik)
  17. Cowboy Junkies - Powderfinger (1fsh2fsh)
  18. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born on the Bayou (Gerard K H Love)

Just to pick up the pace a bit:

07. Bad Brains - Big Takeover

BadBrainsBlowUpYourIpod.jpg

I like it all GH I'm still having trouble downloading all the songs from week 1
Talk about taking left turns at the right time-what a great set of music
My contribution:- 09. Framed - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

I was trying to find an early version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (Theme for Lester Young) but couldn't find the Mingus recording that I have from the early 1960s that I love so much (the bass just rumbles at the end). So how about, and I'm being serious here, a . Not bad at all. Simplicity and emotion always work.

Song 10?

Hey Digney in Burnaby: Goodbye Porkpie Hat originally appeared on Mingus' Ah Um from 1959 (if I recall the date correctly). As an upright player who spent 5-6 years playing jazz in the Boston scene, this album spoke to me like very few others. Mingus was much like Buk; very prolific, and controversial. Then again, the similarities end somewhere near there. Buk never screwed 17 (sic; may have been more) Mexican whores in the same evening and then had to jerk off to get through the night.

Well, at least to my knowledge. :D

Okay, I found the track I love. Guess it's actually a tuba rumbling with the bowed bass. Recorded September 20, 1963 according to the liner notes. I first got it on a cassette with no info and low fidelity. Just ate the whole series of songs up. Theme For Lester Young was/is outstanding.

Beneath The Underdog, yeah!

Hey, Lou Reed released a few good albums -Berlin comes to mind now- and the VU has quite a few great songs. I'll probably buy a ticket to see him this summer. He'll play in a beautiful spot 15 minutes away from my place to an audience of 1,000 or even less than that.

But MMM will seem a nice joke to you if you listen to Neil Young's Arc. That's what I call torture feedback noise. I've never been able to listen to the entire CD, and it's only 30 minutes long. And while MMM could be considered an experiment from the 70's, Arc was out of place as soon as it was released in 1991. Blame it on Sonic Youth ;)

Here's the info re. the upcoming Lou Reed show (it's in Catalan!):
http://www.guixols.cat/portaferrada/
http://www.guixols.cat/portaferrada/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=106&Itemid=59

I love SAHB.
Really? I thought you guys were just being pomo. ;) The Sensational Alex Harvey Band is one of those outfits that seemed to come through town playing support on one tour or another every year in those mid/late 70's arena rock days.

I saw them a couple of times, but they left me kind of cold. It seemed like Broadway show music, and I wanted to rock out, man! That, and the guitar player dressed like a puppet or a doll or whatever he was, creeped me out.

SAHB-70's for sure a little dated and more Spinal Tap than I care to admit but I think you can hear elements of AC/DC in there and I bet we all have albums and bands we liked then, that we woulld be reluctant to admit now -might be another new thread-worst album in your collection here's a bit of trivia-ZAL also played guitar for Nazareth-Love Hurts Sonofabith-and SAHB still tour even though Alex is dead-and there is a SAHB cover band too

Okay, I found the track I love. Guess it's actually a tuba rumbling with the bowed bass. Recorded September 20, 1963 according to the liner notes. I first got it on a cassette with no info and low fidelity. Just ate the whole series of songs up. Theme For Lester Young was/is outstanding.

Beneath The Underdog, yeah!

Ah, that would be from the Impulse! issue of Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus. I suppose that one could argue that the title was really Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, and the last Mingus was just who the album was done by, but I've said Mingus enough at this point. :D

One might question the legitimacy of calling it an autobiography, however. In more than a few cases, Mingus treats the truth like a wad of salt water taffy. But it is a great read. It reminds me a fair bit of Buk in many ways.

Hey, Lou Reed released a few good albums -Berlin comes to mind now- [...] I'll probably buy a ticket to see him this summer. He'll play in a beautiful spot 15 minutes away ...

yeh, he IS great.
only, all the live appearences i've seen so far (on tv and video) were really lame. (and from his very many live albums i dislike half of them). still i would go there, if i had him play so close to me.

so, since you gave the 'Berlin'-album, here is:
16. LOU REED: 'The Bed'

When does week 5 start?
#1 for week 5. I heard this on the smooth jazz station but it's fits everywhere. Besides it's funny.

Shut your mouth! :cool:

We can dig it.

A slightly short list (16) then for week 4? Unless 2 songs quickly materialise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back