Your top 10 albums of 2009 (2 Viewers)

I am too haunted by some dead bands to listen to a lot of current ones. Good 2009 albums which come to my mind are :

A woman a man walked by, PJ Harvey
À tout moment, Eiffel
Backspacer, Pearl Jam
A-Lex, Sepultura

And before even having tested it : IRM, Charlotte Gainsbourg. I know I'll like it since I like everything she does. Except that all the songs are duos with Beck. : pukingsmiley :

Note that I have not included The resistance in my list. I am improving !

Last edited by a moderator:
IRM, Charlotte Gainsbourg. I know I'll like it since I like everything she does. !

Including the song Lemon Incest where she is rolling around in her panties in a bed with her dad? The video for that song disturbs me greatly. Maybe if I spoke French, it would not disturb me as much. Maybe it is about puppies and going to a ballet recital.

Bill

They're not out yet :cool:. Seriously, there were some rather good albums that came out in 2009, but too few great albums to make a top ten for me.

And before even having tested it : IRM, Charlotte Gainsbourg. I know I'll like it since I like everything she does. Except that all the songs are duos with Beck.
: pukingsmiley :

I found that album she did with Jarvis Cocker et all a bit dull. Couple of good tracks, but just a bit breathy and monotonous overall. However, I do think she is a sexy lady (especially in 'The Science of Sleep').

This year I liked Bill Callahan's return to being miserable!

Guys, I'm asking for YOUR top 10 of 2009, not just a few albums.
Take your time, flip through your music collection. Ponder about it!

The reason everyone is having trouble here is because it turns out the best albums of that decade were in 2000 and 2004.
Narrow your search, people ! C'mon...

(in no particular order)

Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans (2004)

Brian Wilson - Smile (2004)

Dungen - Ta Det Lungt (2004)

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose (2004)

Dolly Varden - The Dumbest Magnets (2000)

Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days (2004)

Paul Westerberg - Folker (2004)

Jill Scott - Who Is JIll Scott (2000)

Beck - Mutations (2000)

Comets On Fire (2004)

2009 in no particular order

Blitzen Trapper- Black River Killer (technically an EP, but it has 7 cuts so I say it counts)
Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Meric- Fantasies
Wilco- Wilco The Album
Fever Ray- Fever Ray
Morrissey- Years of Refusal
Silversun Pickups- Swoon
Neko Case- Middle Cyclone
The Dead Weather- Horehound
Noah and the Whale- The First Days of Spring

I don't really listen to new music unless its given to me. I don't like to pay the excessively high prices for CDs, so... Mostly I just listen to XM and the CDs I collected through college.

In this order:

1. Backspacer: Pearl Jam
2. Conor Oberst: Outersouth
3. Dead Weather: Horehound
4. Arctic Monkeys: Humbug
5. Monsters Of Folk: Self Titled
6. Julian Casablancas: Phrazes For The Young
7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: It's Blitz
8. John Frusciante: The Empyrean
9. Weezer: Raditude
10. The Used: Artwork

Well, shit....

My speed-reading skills fail me again, as I thought this was a spin-off from Hooch's NME thread. BUT WAIT ! This could give a moderator true purpose and meaning to their life if they spun my posting into a separate thread for "Your Best Of 2000-2009".... just sayin'

I don't really listen to new music unless its given to me. I don't like to pay the excessively high prices for CDs, so... Mostly I just listen to XM and the CDs I collected through college.

XMU is almost nothing but new music. You should spend some time there.

I tried to come up with 5, but of course I failed. I really enjoy these, so I can offer a top 3:

Voivod - Infini
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
Trap Them - Seizures In Barren Praise

WARNING!!! most of the covers in this list are annoying!!!

10. cover.jpg

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Lots of squeaks and pops and squiggly noises. But the good kind.

Song I like:
9. sonic_youth-the-eternal-album_art1.jpg

Just like them, that's why.

Song I like:
8. dinosaur-jr-farm-album-art1.jpg

Just like them, that's why.

Song I like:
7. jay-reatard-watch-me-fall.jpg

Jay Reatard - Watch Me Fall

Jittery garage punk. Sort of.

Song I like:
6. neko-case-middle-cyclone-big.jpg

Southern uncomfortable.

Song I like:

to be continued...

5. Girls-Album.jpg

Indie hipsters lately have been smitten with the Beach Boys. This band is no different, but I don't hold that against them.

Song I like:
4. the-xx.jpg

The xx - The xx

Make-out tape for shoegazers.

Song I like:
3. japandroids-post-nothing1.jpg

ilikethemcuzthey'rereallyreallyfastandawesome.brah.

Song I like:
2. micachu_jewellery.jpg

Micachu and the Shapes - Jewellery

Punk and hip-hop by a 20-something prodigy who makes her own instruments, even though she looks like a 13 year old boy that spends most of his time at the skate park and is considering becoming a vegetarian. But that just makes her more awesome.

Song I like:
1. the_flaming_lips_embryonic.jpg

the Flaming Lips - Embryonic

Veteran hippy punk tripsters change direction. Again.

Song I like:

Nice list, Hooch. The XX just missed my list. Girls was close too. Only heard a couple songs from Embyonic. It's all really that good?

Rob, I absolutely love Embryonic. but you've seen my list, so take what I like with a grain of salt. ;)

Andrea BocAndrea Boccelli's Christmas Albumcelli's Christmas AlbumAndrea Boccelli's Christmas AlbumAndrea Boccelli's Christmas AlbumAndrea Boccelli's Christmas AlbumAndrea Boccelli's Christmas AlbumAndrea Boccelli's Christmas Album

The only album i can come up with is Bat for Lashes Two Suns. Did the Pixies release anything in 2009? *sigh* Yet another ho-hum year in music.

I'd probably go for this

Sonic Youth - The Eternal
Fol Chen - Part I: John Shade, Your Fortune's Made
Zombie Nation - Zombielicious
Lucky Elephant - Star Sign Trampoline
Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
Clutch - Strange Cousins From the West
Cue The Moon - Thought Forgotten Spoken
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu - Gurrumul
Hanne Hukkelberg - Blood From A Stone

SoiSong - xAj3z
Sieben - As They Should Sound
Current 93 - Aleph At The Hallucinatory Mountain
And Also The Trees - When The Rains Come
Wumpscut - Fuckit
New Model Army - Today Is A Good Day
Iggy Pop - Preliminaires
Rammstein - Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
Marc Almond - Orpheus In Exile
Ludovico Einaudi - Nightbook

I know what you mean, it's different than what you would normally expect from Iggy Pop, so that's why it may be disappointing to loyal fans. I'm not one of them, so maybe that's why I liked it so much. I think the whole vibe of the album, its jazzy feel, suits him perfectly. And me too. Iggy said somewhere that this book was the inspiration of the album. I just bought the Romanian translation, but didn't get to read it yet. Maybe it holds some answers about the way this album was conceived.

Yeh, I bought it because I buy everything Iggy does...But after about 4 listens I just put it away. Then I tried again 2months later and felt the same way about it. Don't know if I'll give it another chance, I'm sure I will at some point.

I was cleaning up some cds that were scattered all over the house, and I found some I forgot about that may have made a difference on my list:

pe-st-vincent-actor.jpg

St. Vincent - Actor

song I like:

album_noblebeast.jpg

if you asked me to listen to this cd by a singer who plays violin, whistles and has a song called Nomenclature, I would've asked you to kindly fuck off and get your hands off my penis. but god help me, I like this cd.

song I like:
l_9d245b7408e0419db2831225f99d80e5.jpg

song I like:
yearsofrefusal.jpg

song I like:
41zra3qms0l.jpg

song I like:

Morton Feldman - For Samuel Beckett - Ensemble Modern
John Cage - Imaginary Landscapes - Maelstrom Ensemble
Iannis Xenakis - Music for Strings - Ensemble Resonanz
Giacinto Scelsi - Natura Renovatur - Münchener Kammerorchester
Keith Jarrett - Testament
Olivier Messiaen - Complete organ works - Olivier Latry

Not ten and some released prior to '09, but that's when I bought them and that's all I care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back