Zappa - A young genius on the Steve Allen show (1 Viewer)

I've probably already written about this in another thread, but I saw Zappa and the Mothers of Invention on a late night talk show in L.A., when they were largely unknown. The show was called The Joe Pine Show, and Pine was an abrasive loudmouth that picked fights with the audience members. Zappa's band was called -- I think -- The Three Cherry Sisters. A hell of a long time ago, 1960s.

that is crazy old. i'd love to have seen the mothers. this film of Zappa is his first television appearance if I'm not mistaken. he always seemed to hold his tongue every time he made appearances on shows like that, letting witty retorts slip through and making the hosts look like assholes. I loved the episodes of him on crossfire. he totally owns all the arguments and puts John Loften in his place.

this film of Zappa is his first television appearance if I'm not mistaken.

This appearance is from 1986, and Zappa had been interviewed many times before on TV. I believe his first TV appearance was on the Steve Allen Show in 1962-63 at age 22 where he played the bicycle (!).

[This video is unavailable.]

yes. that was the appearance i was referring to, not crossfire. i can see how you would get confused tho. lol good job trying to school me tho. i think i have a little more sense than that.

I've probably already written about this in another thread, but I saw Zappa and the Mothers of Invention on a late night talk show in L.A., when they were largely unknown. The show was called The Joe Pine Show, and Pine was an abrasive loudmouth that picked fights with the audience members. Zappa's band was called -- I think -- The Three Cherry Sisters. A hell of a long time ago, 1960s.

Wish there was some video of this. Apocryphal story has Joe Pyne saying to Zappa "So I guess all this long hair means you're a woman." And Zappa said to Pyne "So I guess that means your wooden leg makes you a coffee table." I guess Pyne had a prosthetic leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back