BoSP Book by Father Luke (2 Viewers)

throw a gun on the casket.

What a good piece. I like this style of writing Padre. Very descriptive in the right places and in the right amounts. Also liked 'lady next door'.

To be honest my first impression was that this guy is embellishing. But on subsequent readings I think your on the 'up and up' and I'm a fan. I grew up on the brooklyn water front (before it was fashionable) with a seedy gogo bar out my front window. What a theater I had!

I can smell bullshit a mile away, and this isn't it.

Nice padre, I look forward to more.

joe

Bill,

the fact that these editions have sold out is a testament to your excellence as an editor and publisher. Some of my own funky little self-published chapbooks took thirty years to sell out, and truth be told, I gave half of them away.

CONGRATS! i'm so glad to have gotten FL's book before it sold out. unfortunatley not the HC, but hey, soft is better than none. it holds a special place on my book shelves. any plans for another? sure hope so!!

I sold all but the last 10 or so very quickly (with a week or 2). Then there was a pause and last week a bunch of orders came in. I'm sure that I will now get e-mails from folks wanting to know where they can find a copy....
Bill

Some of the last few paper copies were signed by Father Luke in Bird & Beckett when we were there. Some of the last folks that got copies got pretty cool ones....
Bill

I wish. My dream is to go into a little hole-in-the-wall bookstore that does not buy from me and find a copy on the shelf. That would be very cool. As it is, there are not many bookstores that are interested in carrying my stuff. Ask Jorday, he witnessed it first hand and was not there to see me get completely get snubbed by Moe's. That was very painful. Made me feel like a panhandler.

Bill

i'd love to see a BoSP MJP book... put me down for one of the hardcovers!

as far as getting snubbed by moe's- that sucked. i wanted to smack that guy's bald head for grousing about "security" (meaning that people would lift individual broadsides)... that's what the window display is for your moron! it kind of made me like moe's a lot less. although i wonder if they would have taken the signed ones up at more moe's.

You missed the true FU that I got the next day when Owen told me that he is not the one to talk to about Small Press stuff. I guess that he did not realize that I knew that he is exactly the right person to talk to about small press stuff. It is one thing to say that they are not interested. Quite another to treat me like an idiot.

Yep, I sold to exactly one person while in CA and that person was sitting with me in a coffee shop in Berkley.

Bill

mjp has never sent me a submission.....

If interested, he should send some stuff. I have liked what I have read that others have published...

Bill

christ MJP, he's HANDING YOU a book! don't strike a gift horse in the mouth while the iron is hot or something or other.

i will add my two cents here and say that i would most definitely like to see a special BoSP hardcover from mjp.

feeling pressured yet, mjp??

Honestly, I haven't sent anything to Bill because we work closely on another project and I didn't want him to feel beholden to throw something my way just because we are compadres.

I don't say that to cast any doubt on the others he has published and also works with. I know as an editor he has standards and he doesn't drop them to scratch anyone's back or curry favor.

It's just one of the many weird things I have in my brain.

Having said that...maybe I'll send something anonymously, from a p.o. box. ;)

Now some smart ass will send some of their work from a So Cal PO Box and Bill will publish it.
Well, he'll only publish it if he likes it, and that's the point. I don't think it matters where it comes from.

what's the zip code for So Cal?
just wondering, no reason...
According to the always accurate wikipedia, "Southern California has 647 zip codes in its seven counties."

Good luck!

Yeah, I hear where mjp is coming from. There is not as much a danger of me publishing him because I consider him a friend as there would be talk of that being the reason. Still, I have said before and meant it that I really liked what I have read.

So, will there be a BoSP/mjp book. Maybe. Maybe not.

Even if I accepted a book for publiication today, it would be a while before I could get caught up enough to actually do it. I have a bad habit of accepting things for publication that I cannot possibly do soon enough.

If this makes sense.

Bill

It's kind of funny, the story of BoSP and
Father Luke. Bill will confirm this, I think. . .

Long time ago I sent him an email asking him
about publishing with him. Like about three years
ago? Something like that. Well, Bill wrote a nice
letter back explaining that he didn't really charge for
publishing people. He just published what he liked.

I sort of thanked him, and said: "Okay."

Well. We both forgot about it.

One day I get an email form Bill:

Hey Faddah. You gots you any books out?

Huh? I mean, no. No, I don't.

Want one?

The rest, as they say . . .

This is all true and I had forgotten about the original e-mail until I was searching for something and found an e-mail that predated all others by at least a year.

It is funny how things happen in their own time sometimes.

Bill

"...
She is screaming now.

I look in the rear view mirror.
This time I can't blink away my tears.
I can hardly breathe.

My three year old daughter is
running out across the lawn
towards the car

'Daddy! Daddy! Don't go, don't GO!'
..."

Man, I almost cried.

Man, I almost cried.

yeah, me too. brings back old sad memories... of course "my three year old daughter" is now thirty-six. Father Luke has other great words almost daily on his web sight. just latley one that really hit home with me is "you've gotten old" this could only have been written by someone who has been there. sure would be great to see some of this stuff collected in another book someday. I make it a point to Read some Bukowski everyday. Then some Father Luke.... (not patronizing,.. being honest) thanks FL....

Man!:( I was going to say that. Yes I make regular visits to fatherluke.com/ and .org, but he has been preoccupied or distracted or it's all going to print lately.
Thank you to Father Luke.

My first (last) poem in English

Father!
Father!

I stormed the room:
book in one hand
and the passport
with the last touristminute
in the other.
Finding Father was hard,
(took all my visa time)
but he was there
be
(hind) a dim
screen(saver) light

Yes:
The pages turned to dust
reach Uruguay (Or Hell)
with the last copyleft.

Father!
Father!
Would you sign it?
'Sorry kid', he said,
'Only hardcovers...'

The door
be
(hind) me (stillopen)
was getting colder
with everyminute.

:D(Yeah, I managed to get a copy!!! Father Luke will hit Uruguay soon) :D
Words like 'touristminute', 'screen(saver)', 'everyminute', 'be(hind)' and others like these are caused by a recent e.e. cummings biography read :o

. . .

The pages turned to dust
reach Uruguay (Or Hell)
with the last copy left.

Father!
Father!
Would you sign it?
'Sorry kid', he said,
'Only hardcovers...'

If you have gotten one of the last copies
of Dust, then you'll soon see that it's been signed.

But I love a story.
And yours was way cool. . .

And thank you for supporting the small press.

2652679908_16f605472d_o.gif

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

I am so proud to have Father Luke's book in our collection. It is truly a fucking gem of a book. Great writing and great publication in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back