Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an easy one?!?

We all know of Bukowski's obsessions with the classical, but which 20th century pop musician did Hank once name as his favorite?

Hey! Hold your horses! We have'nt answered cirerita's question yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, no offense Zach, but this is a thread that has over 600 posts and there is a very strict rule. Answer the question, and get the right to ask a question. There are probably other threads that the question can be asked and will give a lively discussion.

BIll

Hey cirerita, of COURSE it must be a girlie-magazine, since he is petting a Pussy! (haha, how funny I am!)

No, seriously, I don't know about THAT special pic, but can get very close to it! How about this one:

http://www.bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/bukwithcat_2.gif

bukwithcat_2.gif

This was in a German book named 'BUK. Von und über Charles Bukowski.' Maro, augmented edition from the 1983 ed: 1989. p.72.

The pic must be made in 1985 according to information on THIS piece from obviously the same day:

http://www.bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/bukwithcat_3.jpg

bukwithcat_3.jpg

it's in: Freyermuth/Montfort: 'Das wars. Letzte Worte mit Charles Bukowski.' Rasch und Rähring, 1996, p.64.

But that's not the answer of course. So - anyone else?

yep, the year was 1985. and the mag was Oui, Sept. issue, featuring an uncollected story titled "The Bell Tolls for No One"

Sisyphus Leaves

Okay, I got one: Bukowski was one of three poets whose work was published in Sisyphus Leaves. Who were the other two?
Sisyphus Leaves was a little small press magazine thing that appeared in the early nineties (and then quickly disappeared forever).

Ah, I see that I already broke a rule (I asked without answering first). So here's a question with an answer.
Q: What's Steve Richmond's middle name?
A: Andrew

Yeah, that dilettante Goodwin published himself in that little magazine (along with Bukowski and Richmond). That was before he quit the whole small press scene and started writing about himself in the third person.

c'mon guys, rack your brains. This poem was published as a broadside in 1975 -minus the drawing, I think, but I'm not sure because I've never seen the broadside- and in a few other places, but it first appeared in 1974 in... where?

old marble press published it as a broadside. Also it was in Africa, Paris, Greece. Are you saying that it was also in a magazine?

cirerita,
I must say. you do find the magazines that are obscure. I take it that the place that it was published in 1974 is in a mag that mjp and fogel did not know about? It is probably one that Martin did not know about either....

Bill

John Martin not only saw this poem, he published it many times. I was referring to the earliest magazine appearance. I believe that Old Marble Press was a ficticious press (Published by John Martin?). Also, this poem appeared in "Africa, Paris, Greece", "Play The Piano...." and "Run With The Hunted".

Bill

it was published in an Australian mag in 1975 and in several other mags later on, but it was first published in a pretty famous paper. that's some hint, huh?

Bill, I told you I was doing my homework ;)

So, LA Free Press it is.

To continue an earlier thread. Please name all of the press names that published Bukowski, but were in reality John Martin. Not counting Black Sparrow.

Bill

What about The Paget Press? They published the buk/Purdy letters and the book looks just like a BS book, so I got the idea that it maybe was a BS operation...

Tinux is right. Your turn to ask one, my friend.

Paget Press does indeed look like BSP, but that may be because they were bound by Earle Grey bookbinders. I have also seen a high end bookseller, who would release his yearly catalog that was bound by them. It was beatiful. As mysterious as Paget Press was, I don;t think that they were a BSP joint...

Bill

Ok, name this mag. No need to do it in Japanese, though ;)

and yeah, the guy on the cover appears to be Bukowski... somehow.

japan.jpg

A question for collectors!

Bukowski writes a dedication....

"To -------
who typed these
things
bavely
against the knocking
on our floor
from the critic
below."

What is the title of the book in which this dedication appears and to whom is it dedicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back