Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now been looking through
- The Night They Took Whitey
- The Swan
- Insomnia
- 6 A.M.
- A Nice Place
but didn't find a Mr. Adams.
Are there any appearences in 'Notes from underground' I don't know of?

Now, this is strange. You give the right answer, it's from The night they took Whitey and there is no Mr. Adams.

Read this part of the interview of 1989:

Ah! Just read it back, I thought, Mr. Adams automaticly appeared in the poem. But I guess Buk just mentioned him. Sorry, my mistake. By the way, never been able to read the poem, so far.

From the poem"the night they took whitey," was Whitey a friend of yours?[/B]"Whitey" was an off-and-on drinking partner in this hotel on Vermont Avenue. I went there now and then to see a girlfriend (Jane) and often stayed two or three days and nights. Everybody in the place drank. Mostly cheap wine. There was one gentleman "” a "Mr. Adams" "” a very tall chap who took a fall down the long stairway two or three nights a week, usually around 1:30 a.m., when he was making a last attempt at a run of the liquor store around the corner. He would go tumbling down this long, long, hard stairway "” you could hear the sound of him banging along "” and my girlfriend would say, "There goes Mr. Adams." All of us always waited to see if he would go through the glass doorway, which he sometimes did. I think he got the glass doorway about fifty percent of the time. The manager just had somebody come and replace the doorway the next day, and Mr. Adams went on with his life. He was never injured, not badly. That fall would have killed a sober man. But when you're drunk, you fall loose and soft like a cat, and there's no fear inside of you; you're either a bit bored or a bit laughing inside of yourself. Whitey just let it go one night, blood roaring from the mouth. I had done the same thing a few times, so I related. Blood is purple and a bit of stomach comes out and the blood stinks. I came out of it after a dozen pints of blood and a dozen pints of glucose. But we never saw Whitey again.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is only part of that interview.

I recently scanned the entire thing, but I have to go through it and fix all the OCR fuck ups. So the entire Stonecloud interview will be available soon (also an old ONTHEBUS interview that I haven't seen elsewhere).

no "besides" here ;)

it was edited by a single person, and it was NOT John Martin. The only Martin's contribution was the dedication "For Jane", which Buk was uncomfortable with, or so I'm told.

I named JM, bc I think, he'd never let solely decide another person what to put in a BSP-book and am sure, he at least reserved 'the last word' on the choice of poems.

But, o.k., I'll say San Dorbin then.
If it wasn't him, I'm out.

(on the dedication: according to Sounes, Buk wanted to dedicate it to Norse first and split up with him about this issue. He also confirms your info that is was JMs idea to dedicate it to Jane. - p.99)

I would prefer if AC/DC had dedicated a song to Bukowski
but well "Dirty Day" was the song on the U2 album "Zooropa" in 1993.

You are Right with your answer - so You are to ask now!
... you're also right in suggesting AC/DC's KICKIN' ASS!
... you're right, if you do assume, that 'Dirty Day' is a weak song.
.. but I'd definitely FIGHT for U2 being a Great band with Great songs and Great lyrics! - wanna bet?

haha! - go on buddy! YOUR turn!

Hey i never mentioned that i don`like U2 they are really a great band.
By the way Bono also dedicated a concert at the Dodger Stadium to Linda and Charles Bukowski. Would be very interesting if anybody knows if a bootleg
from this gig is available.

The lyrics from former AC/DC singer Bon Scott (R.I.P.) were not so far away form the Bukowski writing he also was a womanizer and an alcoholic and put
this stuff in his songs.

My next question is:
Bukowskis friend and translater Carl Weissner was asked in an interview he
should describe Buk in one single word.
What did he answered?

LOL - but he should describe the character of Bukowski in one single word.
I read the interview in an american literature magazine called "Free Thought".

Hey Bukfan - i don`t know exactly if the interview was printed somewhere else does not matter anyway because Roni gave the correct answer.

Hey Roni go ahead with a new question !

He was obviously thinking of Buk's 'Schopenhauer-ian'-side.
The feeling of 'not-getting-involved', standing on the outside, being a loner, let the world go its way but leave ME alone.
Something like that. In this perspective he was totally right.

I'm too fucked up now to think of a new question, but maybe I'll scan the interview for you (it's only one column) and post here.

Hey Roni are you still too fucked up to think of a new question ?
Come on man , enjoy the sunshine go out and let's have a drink in one of Bambergs beer garden.
After the third one you are able to ask a REALLY TOUGH one for the crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give you a not so tough one:
What was the job of Tom Moto at the beginning and what was it at the end?

Tom Moto was a character mentioned in the novel "Post Office" he started
as a sub (temporary employment) and made career to a controller.

I guess, you're talking about people who were not only 'poets' but also friends.
Friends from the late 60s/early70s maybe?
I can guess who is it, but want somebody else to answer: Am very short of an idea for the next quest.

John Thomas and Gerald Locklin.

Here's a good one: Bukowski talked (and wrote) about an incident where he (accidentally?!) screwed a man named "Baldy." He claimed that he was drunk and Baldy was in his bed with his back toward him, and he assumed that Baldy was a woman.

What was the name of the woman Bukowski thought he was romancing?

John Thomas and Gerry Locklin was the correct answer!

In the german translation of "Notes.." were TWO women mentioned called Mitzi and Betty.

My turn?

I'm taking the answer from a Bukowski interview, and it is not Mitzi and/or Betty...though it may have been a different name every time he told the story.

ok, an easy one. as I said, Sanford Dorbin edited The Days. However, Martin thought the book was too long and a few poems were purged and left on the editing floor. However, as early as April 1970 those "leftover" poems were put aside for a different book which would come out some years later. Which was the title of that book?

I'm taking the answer from a Bukowski interview, and it is not Mitzi and/or Betty...though it may have been a different name every time he told the story.

Hey mjp,
Well Cirerita started with a new question and that`s fine but what was the
answer Bukowski gave in the interview?

He said her name was Mystery. That comes from John Thomas and Philomene Long's book, Bukowski in the Bathtub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back