Drinking Habits (1 Viewer)

Hank drank. i imagine most of you do also. so let's talk about it! what do you drink? how much do you drink? how often? does it help you? does it hurt you? do you drink to dull the pain or to spark the creative light within you? do you drink to forget her name or your own? do you drink alone or in public? do you have a drinking problem? are you a problem who needs to drink? is drinking a problem? do you hate alcohol? are you drunk right now? are you in AA? are you a MADD spy? do you read THE MODERN DRUNKARD? do you think Hank was only good because he drank? do you think Hank only drank because he was good? can you not afford liquor and need to take up a collection? will you drink with me? do you hate me already because of this thread? why is there a moth in my apartment? do you smoke when you drink? are you still reading this?

The Boozer's Thread needs to be brought back up into the front. It is the same thing except you will accommodate non drinkers. Most of us do stop drinking once in a while- not all.

I don't drink as much as I would like.

Read some of Buzzcats posts, you reminded me of him even before you started this thread. Good job on that.

Is there really a Modern Drunkard? I'd like to see the writer's room. No, I'd like to work in the writer's room. I've been drinking for longer than I've known of Bukowski, but ever since my sister introduced me to him in the 11th grade, I've felt far less guilty and now describe problem drinking as an artistic mechanism. I only drink beer in the morning, National Bohemian to get in those breakfast calories while I write, but I work odd hours, so I have to be in there by 2, and its dull monotony for 8 hours, 5 days a week. Usually at night time, I prefer Seagram's whisky and ginger ale. I work in data processing in an office and it takes just shy of a pint to help me forget all those numbers before bed.

Modern drunkard is an actual magazine published in I think Colorado. They have many (but not all) of their articles online and are really interesting reads. I'd link to them but i'm kind of lazy so just google it, shouldn't be hard to find. I've wasted many a day reading their stuff... most of their stuff is only influenced by Bukowski there are only like 6 or 7 articles that mention Bukowski or a quote by him out right. Also I'm pissed he lost to Jackie Gleason in their mock "clash of the tightest"

Anyways as for my own drinking habits I tend to drink cheap beer and cheap wine to dull the pain. Sometimes hard cider or straight bourbons if I feel like it. I wish the liquor store was closer than the grocery store. I would drink with anybody, but honestly I prefer drinking alone.

Modern drunkard is an actual magazine published in I think Colorado. .

yup. Denver and proud of it. anyone living in the denver area can pick up he magazines for free at local bars and some restaurants that subscribe. its not just a humor magazine either, although humor is their main goal, but they also actively support drinker's rights and tackle groups like MADD, the American Prohibitionist Party, and AA.

i don't hate the Pats or nothin...although i was happy for the Giants, i kinda wanted to be alive for a team going 19-0, and they had my support, but being a Denver fan, i was pretty fuckin' cheesed by what happened last night. i mean, when the fuck did Cassel learn to throw like that? what a game for him to come into his own...couldn't he do that against San Diego?

sorry...this got off topic. although a broncos loss is always reason to drink, so maybe it works out after all.

i don't hate the Pats or nothin...although i was happy for the Giants, i kinda wanted to be alive for a team going 19-0, and they had my support, but being a Denver fan, i was pretty fuckin' cheesed by what happened last night. i mean, when the fuck did Cassel learn to throw like that? what a game for him to come into his own...couldn't he do that against San Diego?

sorry...this got off topic. although a broncos loss is always reason to drink, so maybe it works out after all.
You are right on topic. Bad games and drinking habits go hand and hand.
Like Father Luke says:
I'll drink to that.

Uh, yeah. Are you surprised? Yeah, I just read his big post in the Boozers Thread. The only thing I don't dig that he does is that cheap pisswater American beer like PBR & Bud. But, hey, life is subjective, right?

As for the where have I been... well, I get lost. Sometimes for weeks at a time.

No Night Train ! ? ! Good gawd man,
That's uncivilized! There is a solution:

2966325642_b21dc8e1d4_o.png
2965486401_09c1272e45_s.png
2966325716_fe184f1316_m.png

Simple.
Glad to help.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

um, yea...i actually night train would be cheaper than those two.

but y'know, i've never gone blind. maybe it'd be a fun new adventure!

dammit. i'm out of bourbon. that Old Crow sure does go quickly, now doesn't it? guess i'll be going to bed soon.

So I've come to notice something peculiar, well not, too peculiar, but still a pain in the ass. When I was younger I didn't drink nearly as much and smoked reefer several times a day, to the point of making lazer bowling actually seem like a good idea from time to time...I've been hanging out with some stoner friends again as of late and I find that I don't really enjoy being high. I get paranoid, grind my teeth, and feel somewhat nauseous. I know a couple other drinkers who feel the same way. Anybody experience this?

OH FUCK YEA.

i was never a stoner necessarily, but i would get high with friends for a few years. i always liked drinking better, but about a year and a half ago i had the worst drunk/high experience of my life. besides the paranoia and being naseous, i got dizzy beyond comprehension, and was in full on blackout mode. the last thing i remember was feeling the high coming on and SMACKING myself in the face to try to clear my head. did not work. i then stumbled home in the cold cold dark rainy night (think i wrote a poem when i got home, actually) and barely remember much of anything. not even sure how i got through the door.

but that was it for me. i had the worst hangover the next day, and i only had a few beers so i know it was the weed.

....................... smoked reefer several times a day, (snip...)...I've been hanging out with some stoner friends again as of late and I find that I don't really enjoy being high. I get paranoid, grind my teeth, and feel somewhat nauseous. I know a couple other drinkers who feel the same way. Anybody experience this?
Grinding teeth sounds like Meth.
OH FUCK YEA.

i was never a stoner necessarily, ..... besides the paranoia and being naseous, i got dizzy beyond comprehension, and was in full on blackout mode. the last thing i remember was feeling the high coming on and SMACKING myself in the face to try to clear my head. did not work. i then ....................
so i know it was the weed.

Maybe it wasn't real pure weed. One of the many medical uses for marijuana is to stop nausea. Dizziness, maybe you were just dehydrated, which is a side effect of consuming large quantities of alcohol. People like to mix stuff into pot like angel dust, opium and even heroin, to name a few. Heroin and opium will usually make you puke- or the alcohol.
I just heard a commercial on the radio today about how pot is safer than alcohol and less addictive. It was an L.A. radio station-L.A. means Los Angeles.;)
You guys just need a better source or don't drink and smoke pot. I haven't smoked in six months.

No night train? Good god man, what kind of crummy liquor stores are in your area? How about some madd dogg 20/20 or thunderbird!

If you're really desperate kool aid + cheap red wine (preferably in the box)

Pot is fine now and again. But i'm kind of biased since i'm from Oregon, no such thing as bad weed in this state.

I just got into college, and i just began to drink. I also play basketball at my college on a full scholarship. I like to drink, but all i hear from the other end is why i shouldn't drink. I know absolutely nothing about beer, liquor, nothing about da booze.

If you are going to drink hard liquor drink Scotch. Please don't mix it with anything sweet. Scotch goes with water (pure water avoid the tap) ice (made from the same water mentioned) or club soda.

LOL! It is an acquired taste. I find that there is little or no hangover from Scotch, but you'll be tired the next afternoon. One other thing it will put weight on you.:D

I just got into college, and i just began to drink. I also play basketball at my college on a full scholarship. I like to drink, but all i hear from the other end is why i shouldn't drink. I know absolutely nothing about beer, liquor, nothing about da booze.

If you must drink, please do it in moderation (sorry to sound like a Mom; I drink more than I should, but I still make work every day with a clear head). A full athletic scholarship is a rare thing, so please respect that. Have fun, by all means, but see if you can't turn that scholarship into something special. It really is a major thing that few people get...

There's plenty of time to become a drunk after you've failed at everything! ;)

A friend's son, with a full scholarship, just broke a vertebrae and can no longer play so he has to take the education seriously. It happened in practice in an instant. He was not drinking nor reading Bukowski so you have hope.
Take care and drink responsibly.

Well, since we're putting our voices of responsibility out there, I'll pass on my life motto:

Practice Survival Moderation

Do I live by it? Mostly.

If you must drink, please do it in moderation (sorry to sound like a Mom; I drink more than I should, but I still make work every day with a clear head). A full athletic scholarship is a rare thing, so please respect that. Have fun, by all means, but see if you can't turn that scholarship into something special. It really is a major thing that few people get...

There's plenty of time to become a drunk after you've failed at everything! ;)

A friend's son, with a full scholarship, just broke a vertebrae and can no longer play so he has to take the education seriously. It happened in practice in an instant. He was not drinking nor reading Bukowski so you have hope.
Take care and drink responsibly.

Well thank you both for your words of wisdom. There is definetely plenty of my life to waste away after most important things are out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back