"Find what you love and let it kill you" (4 Viewers)

wow, i must be hallucinating. i thought it was upside down and the boob was an ass!

5573-ce2a11450fa2973e22a8fb11b345eb79.jpg

I was also certain that it was a thigh tatoo. That sure is one fine obtical illusion. That is one dedicated Bukowski Fan. Oh My Lord, that takes commitment.

For me commitment would mean making sure the quote was authentic. I'm afraid this may be one of those people who thought it might be awesome to have a tattoo quote by that Bukowski guy who represents all that cool shit, you know, like alcohol and puking.
If I had been at the stage in my life where I had only read about half of Buk's work, and decided I needed a quote tattoo'd (and found this one), I believe I'd choose one that I had read in one of his books that meant something to me instead; if this one meant enough to me that I wanted a tattoo of it, I believe I'd try to find it in one of his books first. Just to put it into some kind of context before inking it on in there.

Context?

Poppycock, sir! A tattoo is meant to be a dionysian expression of one's own idiocy. As for finding ideas in book... who the hell reads those things anyway? Far better to wait for the movie to be released on netflix.

I think the way Kari and Helena were treated is smug, disrespectful and rude. There are polite and respectful ways of making a point, but they seem to have eluded you.

great. we pissed off dad. now he's going to start measuring the liquor bottles again.

well done, assholes. next time you're thirsty and can't settle your jonesing? blame yourselves.

pricks.

Excuse my previous post, I must have been channeling my inner southern belle.

Yes, now dad has weighed in. But isn't it funny that the earlier complainers made a point of saying that "young women" and "ladies" were being mistreated. That's such a sexist characterization, not to mention a sexist "defense" of the poor young ladies who surely can't defend themselves. I guess that's where dad comes in to save the day.

You'd think that dozens of icky men had pounced on poor little Kari and said, "SHUT UP AND SHOW US YOUR TITS!" when in fact the "young women's" words and foolish "I Googled it, so it's a fact" statements were being challenged. Yet somehow an accusation of "mistreating young women" is made, inferring misogyny and some sort of sex-based bias.

Funny, yeah.

Saw this on a quote investigator website

Kinky Friedman was profiled by the paper because he had branched out into a new field. Friedman had recently authored his first mystery novel, and while discussing his colorful career he employed the adage. Interestingly, the expression contained the word “like” instead of “love”. Boldface has been added to excerpts:

“I did it on my own, without AA or Jesus; but, then, I think we all have to find the Jesus of our choosing. I’ve always said: Find what you like, and let it kill you.

The saying with the word “love” has been credited to Charles Bukowski in recent years, but QI has located no substantive evidence to support this ascription.

Here are additional selected citations in chronological order.

In 1991 a collection of interviews titled “Songwriters On Songwriting” was published, and one of the interviewees was the composer Van Dyke Parks who was a friend of Kinky Friedman. Parks reported that Friedman used a version of the jocular injunction with the word “like”:

Interviewer: So songwriting for you is a daily activity?

Van Dyke Parks: There are months that go by that I don’t write songs. I go out and take care of the garden; I take care of the realities. I get the house reroofed and painted and stuff. Pick the kid up from school—both kids, if I’m lucky. And in the meantime I stay plastered to the news.

Interviewer: So to connect with those realities beyond everyday life you stay aware of this reality.

Van Dyke Parks: Yes. I find something that moves me. Kinky Friedman said, “Find what you like and let it kill you.”[Laughs]​

Maybe we should all make an image with the quote, quote it to the appropriate source and spread it around the web with the hastags #notbukowski #bukowskididntsaythis

That'll work, right?

I saw this quote & it inspired me to read Bukowski, I've finished all of his novels & have been steadily working through poetry, it's all changed my life for sure. It makes me laugh to find out the quote that led to me reading all of this wasn't actually his, oh well, I'm glad is was incorrectly attributed & led me here with you fine folks.

I did wonder that too. I am all for reading "inspirational" quotes / memes but I would much rather they just say "unknown" than attributing the message to someone whose body of work can be searched easily or has been researched / followed as intensely as Bukowski.
They'll be saying it was in a letter from Shakespeare next.

Last edited:
I saw this quote & it inspired me to read Bukowski, I've finished all of his novels & have been steadily working through poetry, it's all changed my life for sure. It makes me laugh to find out the quote that led to me reading all of this wasn't actually his, oh well, I'm glad is was incorrectly attributed & led me here with you fine folks.

There's a little good in everything.

I just found this quote in one of NIETZSCHE's notebooks from 1873:

"... stecke Dir selber Ziele, hohe und edle Ziele und gehe an ihnen zu Grunde!"
(KSA 7,651 / Notizbuch Sommer-Herbst 1873: 29[54])
which would translate like:
"... find yourself high and noble aims and let them destroy you."

of course I've quoted out of context and translated a bit deliberate, but still...

another thing:
[...] Bombay Gin [...]
[...] Slouching Toward Nirvana [...]
are these different from the poem in 'Whoreson Dog #1' (1993)?
because in the database they're listed seperately.

Last edited:
A "letterpress print" on eBay. Just so you know that the world never forgets once it "knows" something.

Untitled-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back