New forum: the airing of the grievances (1 Viewer)

I think I see what you mean Bukfan. You mean if you use the View attachment 2765 quote button. I expect that placing the cursor manually is unavoidable for now. Perhaps it's something that will be corrected by a later patch.

Have you tried the Reply option, which automatically quotes the post (which you can trim if you don't want to quote the whole thing)?

Right, that's an option too, especially if there's not too much text you have to trim down. In such cases it might be faster to use the "Quote" option.

Now that I look at how the quote button works, I think it is working as it's supposed to. Assuming most people will use "Reply" to quote from a post, the quote button would be used to quote text from outside the forum. if you paste some text from outside, then select that text, applying the quote button puts the quotes on both ends and places the cursor under the quoted text so you can keep typing.

I guess it's the selecting of the text that's an extra step. But no one in the developer's forum has even mentioned this, so I have to wonder if most people consider what it's doing now to be "correct." I'll bring it up anyway.

Maybe it's just me and my habits. I usually copy-paste the text I want to quote instead of using the "Reply" option and then trim the text down to the part I want to use. Both methods require some steps, so one step more or less does'nt make a lot of difference, of course. I just thought I would mention the cursor thing now that we're discussing the pro's and con's of the new forum anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mjp: I'm getting used to the new look, and it seems fine. Maybe this has been discussed already, but I'm not seeing the number of posts with people's avatars. Is that by design?

Yes. The post number can be added, along with other stuff, but 1) it takes up a lot of space - a one line post ends up being three inches of mostly empty space, and 2) not having the post count kind of evens the playing field. I know that I look at someone with 3,000 posts and someone with 3 posts differently, and I probably shouldn't.

If you click on the avatar you get a handy little pop-up that shows post count.

Huzzah from me too! I like it and I have seen this format before, I may have been a test dummy.

As for our dear roni, read his post. He clearly stated he just got home from the other side of the world and if you have been paying attention to roni you know he has little or no money so you can bet he did not fly first class, not that that would have been that much more comfortable. A long jet flight is stressful on many different levels so give him a couple of days to get back to his senses. WE LOVE YOU roni!

Does the spell check work? or do I have to hook it up again? You know I need that since I never finished college.

For the record I like this post.

There is no spell-check in the forum software, I don't think there ever has been. That's more of a browser function these days.

WE LOVE YOU roni!

That's right! Come back - or we'll start singing outside your house every night until you give in.:D

WeLoveYouRoni.jpg

(I just love how easy it is to upload an image in the new forum! That's a great improvement)

Nice place. Nasty looking from the curb though. But once you're inside, it's quite decent. And if it's easier to deal with, then it's worth it.

How much do we owe the movers?

Okay, I am being berated by a vicious, obsessive and possibly dangerously psychotic cunt over on the forum for this software --- but she has a point.

So I have changed the default forum width to fluid, or variable, so it will widen almost out to the edge of your browser window.

If you want to go back to the fixed width, just mouse over this here:

choose.png

and choose "Fixed width."

Can we give Stavrogin an award for Most Ridiculous Youtube Video Post, seriously I would love to know how the hell you came across that gem.

Okay, I am being berated by a vicious, obsessive and possibly dangerously psychotic cunt over on the forum for this software

talk about forum software and tweaking is pretty boring, but i would definitely like to hear more about this.

Well, I was exaggerating for show, you know how I do.

But there's a thread about this forum, and she commented that I should have a fluid style as well as the fixed. I made the mistake of asking why and she seemed to lose her mind. Some people have strong emotional responses to running a forum at a fixed width apparently. Ha.

I feel completely hemmed in and claustrophobic having to use fixed width skins, I refuse to do it in fact, for example: There is an excellent Admin forum around, even though it is a fine site with good people and discussions.. I cannot abide fixed width skins, truly physically feel sick using them, and whilst that site several choices in themes, they are all fixed width, sadly I cannot post there at all.
and the argument you don't want to "maintain" two styles is (naturally) spurious... make the default xenforo style available (which is nicely fluid you will notice) then you don't have to do a single thing.. And then, those of your pooor members who like me detest being dictated to in such a fundamental way will have one less control freak thing to object to.

Nazi, control freak, (naturally) spurious...someone is taking it way too seriously. So I replied:

Naturally?

Do you hate me because I set a fixed width, or did I do something else to you that I don't remember?

Wait - were you that girl in the pink leather jacket at CBGBs in 1981? May I remind you that it was your idea to go downstairs! Those bathrooms scared me. And you gave me the jacket, I didn't steal it. You were pretty wasted after downing those 17 little bottles of Anbesol, but you clearly wanted me to have it. And you knew I was leaving for Philadelphia the next day. It was a one-night gig, I told you when we started making out in the dressing room. I didn't appreciate all the letters to my apartment over the following 18 months. You know, my girlfriend opened some of those.

Jeez, talk about holding a grudge.
Then back and forth a little more, and I'm just trying to make a joke and get her to shut up already - not unlike a night I experienced at the Huntington recently - and the thread went along and it seemed fine. Then she came back and started in again. I think she has a mental problem. But what can I say. In the end, when I thought about it, she was right in that there should be a choice. She's out of her mind about everything else, so it would have been easy to take it all personally and tell her to go torture someone else, but a good idea is a good idea. Even if it comes from a lunatic.

Yes. The post number can be added, along with other stuff, but 1) it takes up a lot of space - a one line post ends up being three inches of mostly empty space, and 2) not having the post count kind of evens the playing field. I know that I look at someone with 3,000 posts and someone with 3 posts differently, and I probably shouldn't.

If you click on the avatar you get a handy little pop-up that shows post count.

I like the post count because it tells me when someone is new, and how new. I look at a 3rd post differently than a 300th. But like you say, it does level the field.

[...] we'll miss you for sure, but leaving in a huff because you don't like the new design is awfully overdramatic, don't you think?

baby, I never intended to leave the forum! how could I?
I just had to leave on that evening, as it was really too much for me at that moment without warning etc.

And I wanted a few days to see if anything changes due to other member's suggestions, before I'll start my rant.

:-))

^^ HA! it starts with the damn smilie above! In the old system I was able to avoid these annoying thing poping up automatically by using two closing-brackets for the lips. If it stays like this, I won't be able to use letter-based-smilies anymore. :-((

[...] Also we restrict the width now, obviously, [...]

You Sure?

buknet-screenshot_width.JPG

Ah! - I see now:
[...] So I have changed the default forum width to fluid, or variable, [...] and choose "Fixed width."

That's good.
I like the width fixed.
Remember how I complaint about the width being non-fixed anymore after the last design-change? Now I feel better.

I also like that it isn't that much 'comic'-style anymore (bubbles, smilies, etc).

I agree with some of the first posters, who said, the screen was too light / too few contrast now. The 'white' is okay, but some letters are still too light-colored for my eyes and I miss the obviously big breaks between posts as well as a clearer border around quotations or something else that would help identifying at first look.

[...] she was right in that there should be a choice. [...]

Yep!
That's always the best way to do it - if you can make it work that way.
You know everybody has their stupid little habits and thoughts of how things should work and look.

I feel completely hemmed in and claustrophobic having to use fixed width skins, I refuse to do it in fact... I cannot abide fixed width skins, truly physically feel sick using them... sadly I cannot post there at all.

What a weirdo. Either she's sick in the head or extremely stubborn if she would rather leave a forum than accepting a fixed width. On the other hand, if the poor little thing gets physically sick, she does'nt really have a choice. Maybe her doctor can't give her a script for pills against fixed forum widths.

I miss the obviously big breaks between posts as well as a clearer border around quotations or something else that would help identifying at first look.
Yeah, I may end up putting a box around the posts again. I liked the way they sort of blend together at first, but now I'm not so sure.

I just wanted to try some new things, and this was the opportune time. In 6 months it will probably look just like the old forum. ;) But it will still work better.

you know the feature I originally thought would be useless, but now I really enjoy? the 'like a post' thingy. a lot of times I would enjoy a post or find one really funny, but I wouldn't write a reply saying "I agree" or LOL, or whatever the kids say. now I can click a like, and show my appreciation.

+1 on boxes, or at least a more defined rule after each post.

+1 from me too.

I like the post count because it tells me when someone is new, and how new. I look at a 3rd post differently than a 300th. But like you say, it does level the field.

+1 on post counts too.

Btw, what happened to our signatures? + 1 on getting them back too.

• Boxes/borders are on the horizon.
  • Post count is under advisement by the legal team.
  • Signatures were removed because they fucked up the flow of the thread, baby. But when we box the posts they will be less disruptive, so maybe then. Personally I don't like seeing the same quote or link a thousand times, but I understand why people like them.

Signatures were removed because they fucked up the flow of the thread, baby. But when we box the posts they will be less disruptive, so maybe then.

Good point. We'll see when the posts are boxed. Not that the signatures are all that important, nor the post counts, but still.

Boxes/borders are on the horizon.

Thanks man!
That's great!

a)
I'm not a big user of signatures, but its existence is a reason to tell people to shut up about their blogs and post links in the sig instead. (not that I would mind, but I seem to remember that a lot of other people like to point people to that option.)

b)
Another:
the email-notifications (about new posts) do not show, what has been posted. So you always have to go here to find out even if it's only a small remark.

c)
Next:
I dislike (as others have stated too) that you can't easily jump to the new pages from the very start. I have now set all my threads to 'being read' and maybe that'll help my cause. But as a general structure to work, it just doesn't please me. All pages of a thread should be accessible from the listing-view.

d)
Also been said here before:
Some writing is still very unreadable, due to either being too light against the white bg or being too small or both.
This goes especially for every information given beneath a post (date of post, number of post) but also some other.
For my bad eyes, this is a MAJOR issue.

buknet-screenshot_too-light_tn.JPG

e)
directly connected to the date-of-post-info:
the info about WHEN a post was made, didn't satisfy me before either, when the post was from 'today' or 'yesterday' esp since we got a global timeshift here. But it was managable. Now it even says at older posts things like 'Saturday' without any date.
I DO like, that recent posts are given as those (today, yesterday, Saturday) but would love to see the actual DATE of these too. possible?

buknet-screenshot_too-light_BIG.JPG

I dislike (as others have stated too) that you can't easily jump to the new pages from the very start. I have now set all my threads to 'being read' and maybe that'll help my cause. But as a general structure to work, it just doesn't please me. All pages of a thread should be accessible from the listing-view.

Not sure if I'm understanding you here, but if you mean going to new posts, try making a bookmark of this link or making it your homepage in your browser so that everytime you open the browser it will automatically show the new posts page:

https://bukowskiforum.com/index.php?find-new/threads

Thanks chronic.
I already used this (https://bukowskiforum.com/search.php?do=getnew) - maybe will have to change the link.

What I was talking about was what hanksolo pointed to HERE.

The listing just didn't give the option to jump to the LAST (or any) page of a thread.
I've done what hankso suggested and will see if this works. But in general I still think, in every LISTING of threads there should be a way to jump at least to the first 3 pages of the particular thread plus the last - like so:
(1) (2) (3) ... (last)

Some things are not as obvious, but they're there..

ghosts in the machine.png

When you point your mouse pointer to the thread title on the list, if there are several pages, then buttons will appear that link to the later pages. Not exactly what you're asking for, but pretty close.

Also, don't forget the little blue dot on the left of the title - at least it's there when there are new posts in the thread. It takes you to the first new post.

There's also a 'New Posts' button on the light-grey bar at the top. Goes to the page chronic mentioned. Your old link can be deleted in favour of this new page.

Contrast is low on some things. Maybe the boss will tweak it slightly...

Somethings are not as obvious, but they're there..
like in real life. (you sound like Hamlet talking to Horatio here : -)) that's cool!)
thanks for the info!

will leave now, BUT ONLY FOR TONIGHT !!!

maybe I'll still appear as being 'online' which is, because I usually keep a lot of tabs open, but I do intend to just watch some videos now and go to bed then.

I will sure be back!
(is this a promise or a threat? anyway...)

the email-notifications (about new posts) do not show, what has been posted. So you always have to go here to find out even if it's only a small remark.
No configuration available for that yet. It has been brought up on the developer's forum.

I dislike (as others have stated too) that you can't easily jump to the new pages from the very start. I have now set all my threads to 'being read' and maybe that'll help my cause. But as a general structure to work, it just doesn't please me.

Untitled-1.png

The thread title link works in a somewhat new way, and it's difficult for some people to adjust to it. But after you "mark all read," the thread title should take you to the first post that you have not read (that is, the first post made after you hit the "mark all read" link).

That "read" data is stored for 30 days. After 3o days the forum considers a thread "unread," so if someone revives an old thread, the thread title is going to take you to the first post whether you have read the thread or not. We can increase the amount of time that the forum keeps your thread marking data, but the longer we store data, the larger the database becomes.

The system is intentionally designed to take you to the first post of an old thread, because dropping you in the middle of something you haven't read in a month or a year is going to be confusing for most people - "What the hell is this thread about?"

Some writing is still very unreadable, due to either being too light against the white bg or being too small or both.
Unfortunately that groovy "usercard" pop-up uses the same font color that those light items in a thread use. So when I made the thread links black, a bunch of the text in the usercard also became black, making it unreadable. I have to figure out how to set separate values for the usercard before I can darken the links in the threads.

Also - making all those links black removes the visual cue that they are links. I can underline them, but that looks like crap.

I DO like, that recent posts are given as those (today, yesterday, Saturday) but would love to see the actual DATE of these too. possible?
So far they have not made that an option we can change (and it doesn't look like they will). But "today" and things like that are always related to your local time.

In addition to adding the border around the post, I set the post background to the same slightly off-white color that it was on the old forum. You can see the difference if you look just outside the post box, where the background is white.

Takes awhile to get used to.Sittin at the computer without a shovel in my hand.This place is all new and good for those who fall into their happy everyday stuff.Change Happens and it is fine to learn new approaches to old ideas.jump out the box, roll with the punches.Read more Manuscripts.This place is the bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back