New Trivia Thread - First with the correct answer asks the next question. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I stirred up some questions with my question, and I guess as we wait of our Corgi Man to come up with his question, we can continue to dawdle....I've always wondered about Buk and Blazek, Richmond, Masarik, etc etc. He was VERY competitive, and I wonder whether he "really" thought they were good poets, or whether he knew he was so much better so could afford to be complimentary. You see the same thing with Robert Graves. He attacked viciously Pound, Dylan Thomas, Eliot, etc etc but then praised poets noone had never heard of and have never heard of since. I think Buk might have come out in favor of those guys because several were loosely affiliated as "meat school" poetxs (although Buk himself I don't think would consider himself part of any "school").
So maybe we're safer with mjp's answer: Bukowski, Bukowski, Bukowski, Bukowski, Bukowski. After all, he did wear that t-shirt with his own picture on it. :):):)

So maybe we're safer with mjp's answer: Bukowski, Bukowski, Bukowski, Bukowski, Bukowski.

That's what Buk says on the Hostage CD/The Last Straw DVD - "Who are your favorite poets? I answered, Charles Bukowski, Charles Bukowski, Charles..." :D

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but he wasn't asked for 5 favorite poets, but 3 favorite writers then. And it's been asked here before. ;-P

Concerning 5 favorite Poets, how about:
- Barbara Frye
- Frances Smith
- Robert Creely
- Gerard Malanga
- Kris Kristofferson

NO!! AS WE CONTINUE TO WAIT FOR THE CORGILOVEMAN....
Favorite poets and writers are actually:
Joyce Kilmer: "I never saw a poem as lovely as a tree"
Rod McKuen
Richard Bach: "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"
Khalil Gibran
Wayne Dyer
Deepak Chopra

Hey, I got a job, one that makes me work like I'm sewing Chinese Gucci, all right?

That line was courtesy of Hosho McPoet.

Here, this will stir up some shit: Who are the Bukowski Inner Circle?

Bukowski hated Ginsberg. Maybe because Ginsberg was too good, too smart, too much real competition? There's a scene in a Bukowski story where he insults Allen at a party after a reading in San Francisco, I think.

I don't hate Ginsberg, I just feel better when he's not around. ;)

Since this thread has come grinding to a halt, here is a real question with an answer.

What was the story about gold with purple spots and the Austrian doctor? What was it written in? You see, easy.

There's a doctor with a German accent in the story, "All the assholes in the world and mine", from, "South Of No North". I'm not sure if his nationality is mentioned, but Buk calls him a Nazi doctor at one point so I've always presumed he's German although an Austrian would fit the bill just as nicely...

are you talking of the story where the guy wakes up covered in spots and decides to go out and snipe people driving on the freeway?

....when he looked into the mirror he saw that his face was gold colored with green polka dots....
Okay, it was green not purple. I was drinking then. It should be easier now.

are you talking of the story where the guy wakes up covered in spots and decides to go out and snipe people driving on the freeway?

man i know that story but can't think of what books it's in. at the end he looks down and the spots are gone.
how about: hot water music.

I think he is! That story is in "Notes of a Dirty Old Man".

There are no titles in Notes of a Dirty Old Man.
I read it two years ago so I didn't remember this detail and I interpreted your question as asking us to tell the titles of the story and of the book it's written in :p

HINT: Buk was originally presented to the guy through the Webb's...

Bukfan: Wild guess here: John William Corrington? I don't recall ever having read that Buk quote, but it's a great one.

Not a wild guess at all, David! It was Corrington alright! Buk wrote it in a letter to him dated Oct. 10, 1962. It's printed in "Living On Luck".

Your turn!

Wow. I got something right. My brain isn't useless after all. Call it intuition; it felt like he was talking to Corrington there. Hot damn. Okay, I'll come up with the next question. I will try to make it a tough one, something obscure as hell.

The most obscure question would be, what color shirt was Bukowski wearing when he spit in your face. (with all due respect, of course)

I don't remember! A lot of what happened is gone from my memory, or buried in the subconscious. I need to undergo hypnotic regression, to bring back the lost details.

Okay, what's the title of this poem and in what magazine did it appear?

"I used to deliberately
get into barroom fights
with anybody around

now
as the world
nears its end
I hear reports of the
dinosaur being
sighted again

time
for me to
go back to the
bars."

That's the complete poem.

If there's no response a couple of days after you posted the question, then it's time for posting a hint, I should think.
I myself is completely blank...

Here's a clue. When he learned of the planned publication of this poem along with some of Bukowski's letters, John Martin wrote a letter to the editor threatening legal action if he went ahead with it. The letters of Martin and his attorneys were reproduced on a broadside included with the magazine. How's that for in your face?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back