New Trivia Thread - First with the correct answer asks the next question. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...When he learned of the planned publication of this poem along with some of Bukowski's letters, John Martin wrote a letter to the editor threatening legal action if he went ahead with it...

Well, that narrows it down :rolleyes: just joshing JM

Yeah, how many of those could there be?

Here's another clue: Charles Manson and William S. Burroughs also have writings in the same magazine, along with a few others. The mag is not listed in Bukowski.net's database. And, there are Montfort photos. Buk, Manson and Montfort are printed without permission, according to red ink stamped notices across the pages.

Here's a clue. When he learned of the planned publication of this poem along with some of Bukowski's letters, John Martin wrote a letter to the editor threatening legal action if he went ahead with it. The letters of Martin and his attorneys were reproduced on a broadside included with the magazine. How's that for in your face?
Wow, that's great, David! I have no idea about the editor and the magazine, but Martin's actions are all too familiar as we know from my experience! (While for some reason I don't have the original snippy letter that Martin sent me warning me away from publishing more Bukowski, I do still have his letter dated October 31, 1985, much more conciliatory and offering me a ton of Black Sparrow books, all of which I still have.)

If this was back in the days when I was publishing, it could have been any number of litmags ... both Ron Androla's Northern Pleasure and Steve Doering's Random Weirdness published quite a bit of Bukowski in those days. Naturally, Wormwood did too, but it would not have been Marvin. Broadsides? The incendiary nature of publishing the letters in a broadside would lead me to guess Kurt Nimmo and Planet Detroit. Probably wrong, but at least it's a guess. :)

(I googled Charles Manson and didn't find any homonym...)
Sorry, just my feeble attempt at humor. As in, "No, it's not Charles Manson the hippie killer, it's Charles Manson the gentle organic gardener!" :)

But it does look like James has answered the question!

(...)

The incendiary nature of publishing the letters in a broadside would lead me to guess Kurt Nimmo and Planet Detroit. Probably wrong, but at least it's a guess. :)

Great guess. I hear Kurt's name mentioned almost daily on the Alex Jones radio show. Kurt now writes political commentary and news for Alex. Kurt's been on the show a few times. I wonder if he still has any interest in the small press scene, poetry, all that?

Charles Manson and William S. Burroughs also have writings in the same magazine, along with a few others. The mag is not listed in Bukowski.net's database. And, there are Montfort photos. Buk, Manson and Montfort are printed without permission, according to red ink stamped notices across the pages.

I just want the damn magazine....

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I can't imagine getting on Manson's bad side. That has to be a scary thing.

Here's what he . Rekrab, you could take him, remember he's a very short guy.
I think there is a limit to how much LSD you can take, the chronic video proves that.

oh yea, i forgot the original question. don't know the poem.
edit: i believe the poem is "renewal".

also, i didn't use abe to find the answer, just to confirm my guess. as soon as you mentioned manson and burroughs, the cover of pandemonium popped in my head, with all of their portraits on the cover like mug shots.

oh yea, i forgot the original question. don't know the poem.
edit: i believe the poem is "renewal".

also, i didn't use abe to find the answer, just to confirm my guess. as soon as you mentioned manson and burroughs, the cover of pandemonium popped in my head, with all of their portraits on the cover like mug shots.

James, you're the winner! Even if you had found the name of the magazine using ABE, that would count as decent detective work in my book, but as it popped in your head, you get the proverbial gold star (do teachers still do that?) Yes, the poem is titled "renewal." The Buknet database shows it as unpublished manuscript. There's another poem in there as well. I'll post its title so mjp can add them to the database under Pandemonium -- or does unauthorized not count as published?

Here's what he . Rekrab, you could take him, remember he's a very short guy.
I think there is a limit to how much LSD you can take, the chronic video proves that.

It's not Manson himself physically that would scare me if I were the editor who had published him without permission. It's his influence in the prison network and its extensions into the outside world. You don't want a guy in his position pissed at you.

well alright! here we go:

in an interview from the late 80s, bukowski states: "XXXXX XXXX's a strange fellow. he doesn't put on much of a hot-shot front. he just sits around depressed. and i make him more depressed. i say, "XXXXX, for chrissakes, it's no so bad." when you're feeling bad and someone says that, you only feel worse."

who is he speaking of? bonus points and 3 gold stars for naming what publication the interview's from.

you are correct, sir! harry dean stanton is one strange, cool old fellow.

although, no gold stars for you, even though your source is legit. i actually got the interview excerpt from Film Comment magazine, august 1987 issue. they're interviewing buk about Barfly, etc and asked if he's "known people who've worked in movies".

Great guess. I hear Kurt's name mentioned almost daily on the Alex Jones radio show. Kurt now writes political commentary and news for Alex. Kurt's been on the show a few times. I wonder if he still has any interest in the small press scene, poetry, all that?
Hey David, have been out of touch with Kurt Nimmo for years but I still hear his name occasionally. What a character. Of course, we go way back into the 80s when he was doing Planet Detroit and I was putting out Pig in a Poke. Little-known small-press trivia fact: Back in 1996 or so, Nimmo was putting out an online poetry zine called PNG (which stood for "persona non grata.") He was doing the dual roles of Webmaster and editor and it was wearing him out. So he asked me if I would edit the mag and he would stick with the Web hosting.

Long story short, it never happened. Kurt moved (from Detroit to Chicago, I believe) and we lost track of each other. But somehow he never got around to pulling down the site, and after all these years, I still get e-mail occasionally from people responding to the call for submissions! Here's the link, which contains the call for submissions and the last issue of PNG ... some great stuff in there from Lyn Lifshin, Michael Estabrook and others.

http://members.cruzio.com/~png/

Don't know if Nimmo is still involved in poetry. I Googled him and he's now living in New Mexico ... maybe I'll renew acquaintances. :)

Don't know if Nimmo is still involved in poetry. I Googled him and he's now living in New Mexico ... maybe I'll renew acquaintances. :)
The last I heard, Kurt had stirred up emotions with a controversial political blog he'd written and was getting serious threats. He went into hiding, more or less, and became hard to contact. This was a year or two ago. I lost touch with him probably in the late 80s.

Trivia question

I'm so unaccustomed to getting the right answer to the trivia question that I almost forgot to ask my own. To make up for my negligence, let me ask two. Anyone who gets both right gets bonus points which you can redeem ... uh, OK, nowhere. You just get the satisfaction.

Anyway, the first one should be fairly easy. Which character is Bukowski talking about when he says, "... since he never talked and he never touched money I could neither expect an answer nor could I pay him"? And from which book does the quote come?

Second question: In "Six Inches" (from Erections,Ejaculations etc. and The Most Beautiful Woman in Town and Other Stories, how did Bukowski's character kill Sarah the witch?

Good luck!

(So the Charles Manson mentioned is the psycho one ? Wow ! I wonder what kind of bullshits he wrote...
His adepts, especially the girls singing during his trial, were much more frightening than him.
And Ted Bundy was much more charismatic than him.)

I find the second question easier : He pierced her heart with a hat pin. Ouch.
Sarah the witch...I also think to this one : http://observers.france24.com/files/images/palin_witch_teaser.jpg :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Which character is Bukowski talking about when he says, "... since he never talked and he never touched money I could neither expect an answer nor could I pay him"? And from which book does the quote come?
Hey Harry didn't you already ask this question before? Well sort of...
HERE:eek:
so I will say Drayer Baba from Women. p267

(So the Charles Manson mentioned is the psycho one ? Wow ! I wonder what kind of bullshits he wrote...
His adepts, especially the girls singing during his trial, were much more frightening than him.
And Ted Bundy was much more charismatic than him.)

[...]:D

It's been years since I read the magazine, but the Manson contributions are his letters to the editor, and they are out there. I recall being creeped out when I read it.

Sorry, I didn't have time to come here earlier...

What was the link between Hank and Pete Townshend ?

...I'm not much more inspired than that :p

Linda and Pete Townshend were both devotees of Meher Baba. Buk thought she and PT were having an affair.

The infamous argument between Linda and Buk in The Bukowski Tapes is after Linda had come home from a Who concert ( i think)

I don't have loads of Buk info at my fingertips, so my question will probably be an easy one:

Who conducted Buk's funeral rites?

Buddhist monks ?

The infamous argument between Linda and Buk in The Bukowski Tapes is after Linda had come home from a Who concert ( i think)
I don't remember if she came back from a Who concert or if she ever came back from somewhere that precise night.

BUK_funeral_1994_03a.jpg

I don't remember if she came back from a Who concert or if she ever came back from somewhere that precise night.

According to Sounes, at that time Linda was attending Who concerts and the after parties while they were in town.

Buk was not interested in that scene and, as we know from his earlier life, he expected his women to be at home for him. When they weren't, he assumed they were out screwing around.

I know that, but I was talking of the very night where he beat her in presence of a journalist and a camera.

"his women" ---> as if he had a harem :D

I know that, but I was talking of the very night where he beat her in presence of a journalist and a camera.

The only such occasion I am aware of is where he literally kicked her off the couch on the Buk Tapes, and that aggression was in relation to Linda's late nights out with Townshend and friends.

Yes, that was the "only such occasion" but that was not what I meant ! I can't express myself more clearly in english, sorry.

It's my turn, no ? I'll try to find a good question with the help of my books for that evening !

Who is the actor and director who made a film inspired by the short story The copulating mermaid of Venice, California ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back