Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They Live, John Carpenter, 1988 How Rowdy Roddy didn't get a nomination for this I cannot fathom. Awesome film.

This is one of my all time favorites!
P.S. David Icke, 'famed' conspiracy theorist acctually says one should see this film as resarch into the ways of the real Reptilian Race!:eek: He also strongly suggests the mini-series, V.

My ex-wife's favorite film.

/end rant.

I thought there was a thread about this, but I can't spot it right now:

Spiral Descent, a Charles Bukowski Story with Roddy Piper

I just saw "The Wrestler", and I found it great. A perfect role for an aging Rourke.
I can only think of good things to say about the movie.
I was thinking that he was the perfect Buk ,and still is.

Yeah it's a fine performance by Rourke, and a much better turn by Marisa Tomei this time - I thought she was off in Factotum. Shame there was no cameo for Roddy Piper though huh? :)

Doubt was amazing....ly short. Nonetheless, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep were brilliant. Excellent film.

MILK was great. I'm just not gagga over Gus Van Sant anymore. He's a bit of hit or miss with me. And with this one, he did neither. The actors pulled their weight, all on their own without the help of anyone. Sean Penn deserves the Oscar, but I've heard Mickey does too.
I have yet to see the Wrestler, so I'll hold off on that assumption.

Just saw Doubt. It was worth the $22.50. Yes I brought my own beverage.
It was long enough. Amy Adams was so good I didn't know she was this:

enchantedprem5.jpg

and this,

doubt_still.jpg

playing a nun

That would be a shame. Who would they give the award to, the computer programmers?

The curious case of Benjamin Button.
Liked it... quite a bit.

i found it dull, boring, and pointless and i didn't care at all for the characters. of course, most people disagree, but i almost walked out after two hours knowing i had another 30 minutes to watch...

there's a great little documentary streaming at pitchfork called Tokion Soundclass.

here's the description from the website:

This short documentary from director Adam Glickman, seen here in an early rough cut, explores the history of Jamaican sound system and dub culture. The film uses interviews with Paul Simonon, DJ Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, and more to explore the roots of this music and the influence it had around the world.

link

it's only up for a little bit, so if interested in such things...

Computer animation is not my thing, I won't voluntarily watch it. So, no, I wouldn't go see something like that. I was basing the comment on what I read about the movie being primarily CGI work, pasting computer generated faces onto the different actors who are supposed to represent the different periods of the main character's life.

There will come a time (and this movie shows that we are probably there) when you wont know you are watching CGI.
For me, the CGI in this movie in no way detracted from the story telling element.

And James, you are right about the movie being pointless. It has no point to make, no lesson to draw or great moral to impart. But neither do most short stories (this one is loosely based on F. Scott Fitzgeralds).
It's just a weird story about a man who grows young and how that effects the way he lives his life.
My favourite movies are mostly pointless... snippets from a life or group of lives. The closer a movie comes to literature the better off it is as far as I'm concerned.
It's the loose strings, undotted i's and uncrossed t's that I like.... like Babel, No Country for Old Men, Osama etc.

exactly.
There was no 'wonder of life' Spielberg music, and the CGI was incredibly indecipherable, so much so, that it made me feel like I was watching a film straight out from the 70s.

However, I didn't find it THAT pointless, as some of you may have found it, upon watching it.
It's, nonetheless, a great film.

Everyone should see slumdog millionaire. It is entertaining and tells a very good story. Also, the older brother character is amazing and complex. The movie reminds me of City of God but for me that is a good thing.

Hey ttthomas welcome to the forum. I like your recomendation but please, go to the New Blood section, start a thread and introduce yourself. I mean for all I know you might be my nephew.

I want to see that movie .

Someone mentioned Little Dieter Needs to Fly awhile back. Just watched it. Wow... great film!

Every few years I seem to go through a Herzog rediscovery phase. I'm in one now and this is one that I had never seen before. Whoever it was that recommended it, thanks.

that was me...yea, that doc made me think of my life differently.
you're welcome chronic! glad you enjoyed...

Just watched Notorious; Hitchcock 1946, staring Ingrid Bergman and Carey Grant. Excellent, as Hitchcock tends to be. I'd not seen this one before, it's quite nice when a 63 year old film keeps you in awe on so many levels.CRB:)

Just watched, "The Golden Compass" with my daughter, on HBO. Has anyone seen it? Thought it was an interesting concept; demons, dust, truth, kids, etc. Some good actors, decent acting. The bears kinda reminded me of the old Coca Cola commercials (Always - I think was the campaign), but they were fun, and well animated.

Pax,

homeless mind

A Scanner Darkly and The Road to Guantanamo.

Interesting and disturbing for different reasons.

I wonder how many North Americans could sit through the Guantanamo movie without thinking their government and culture condoned and actively pursued the torture of innocent people for the sake of revenge and racism.

I know the shame for the Howard years is large and growing here in Australia (but I guess it depends on who you talk to).

Anywho... both good movies.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? was on regular TV today (remember free movies on TV?). Very good stuff.

Homer's Odyssey as presented in depression-era Mississippi through the experiences of three escaped convicts. Highly recommended.

I wonder how many North Americans could sit through the Guantanamo movie without thinking their government and culture condoned and actively pursued the torture of innocent people for the sake of revenge and racism.
A lot of us believe that already, without the benefit of a movie.

(remember free movies on TV?)
I find it difficult to watch movies that have been edited, either for language, to remove bits of the human body or to insert commercials. The editing of language is the most maddening thing. I can't watch it. I know it probably drives Carol crazy, but if we're watching something and they edit language I turn it off.

I don't like edited films, edited poetry or music remixed by people who weren't even born when it was made. It disrespects the original creative act.

I'm watching John Adams an HBO miniseries. I'm on Part 3 of a 7 Part and Tom Wilkinson is very good as Benjamin Franklin. Paul Giamatti stars as John Adams. The cast. They won some awards too.

Joined Netflix recently, in the hopes of renting Barfly, but it was "currently unavailable". That's probably because I'm doing the free 30-day trial. I hope.

Headed out to a free showing of The Big Lebowski tonight in a bar. Costumes, prizes, and trivia contest. Bringing camera !

I find it difficult to watch movies that have been edited, either for language, to remove bits of the human body or to insert commercials. The editing of language is the most maddening thing. I can't watch it. I know it probably drives Carol crazy, but if we're watching something and they edit language I turn it off.

I don't like edited films, edited poetry or music remixed by people who weren't even born when it was made. It disrespects the original creative act.

I agree with what you say, but it was nice to set back on a lazy Saturday afternoon and have my wife say "Oh, excellent. This is O Brother, Where Art Thou." Better yet, she's owned the movie for a few years on DVD, so when we can finally get settled up here, we'll watch it as "nature intended."

Since we don't have cable TV, it was nice to feel like it was 1995 again.

I'm watching John Adams an HBO miniseries. I'm on Part 3 of a 7 Part and Tom Wilkinson is very good as Benjamin Franklin. Paul Giamatti stars as John Adams. The cast. They won some awards too.

I've been watching it all week. A local TV station aired one episode a day. The last episode was on tonight. It's a great mini-series! It's the first time I've seen Giamatti in such a serious role. He's really a great actor. The first time I noticed him was in, "American Splendor", so watching him as John Adams was quite a surprise. It's the best mini-series I've watched in a long time...

Last edited by a moderator:
mjp said:
people who weren't even born when it was made. It disrespects the original creative act.
Where do you actually draw the line?
I don't know. I was going to say "remixes by anyone not involved in recording the music," but albums are often mixed by someone who was not involved in the recording.

What I was thinking of is all the modern "remixes" of Bob Marley's music. Or any other pre-1980's music the kids feel compelled to strip of their rhythm sections in order to turn into pseudo hip hop. It's like pouring melted cheese over broccoli to get a fussy child to eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back