Seen any good movies lately? (1 Viewer)

Frenzy. Haven't seen that one in a long time. Good 'un. I remember seeing it as a kid & it seeming a little odd & a little off...I gues bc it's the early 70's, not the late 40's. It wasn't the Hitchcock I was familiar with- no Jimmy Stewart, it didn't seem old, some creepiness to it. Man, I'll have to check it out again.

Saw this Nina Simone doc recently. Yes, mjp, it is good, really fucking good. It's a compelling story and a very well done film too.

Frenzy. Haven't seen that one in a long time. Good 'un. I remember seeing it as a kid & it seeming a little odd & a little off...I gues bc it's the early 70's, not the late 40's. It wasn't the Hitchcock I was familiar with- no Jimmy Stewart, it didn't seem old, some creepiness to it. Man, I'll have to check it out again.

and alot of incongruous humour that works really well. hadn't seen it in a long while either and it was better than i remembered it.

Been re-watching "STAR WARS - The Empire Strikes Back" lately and for the first time realized, that there's an obvious HAMLET-SCENE.

See for yourself:

Untitled-1.jpg

Just been at the movies and seen an overwhelmingly moving, brutal German movie named "Systemsprenger", meaning "System-Breaker" about a 9-yo girl who can't control her sudden impacts of aggressiveness and violence, which leads her from one social-institution to the next.

It's said this could become Germany's next contribution for the foreign Oscar, so it may be possible, you'll be able to see it subtitled (or even synchronized?) in some arthouse-theater in the US in a few months. If so: GO WATCH IT !!

In the second half of the film, every single scene has the sword of Damocles hanging above the head. Because by then you've experienced enough of the fatal happenings and dangerous turnarounds that you simply do not trust any seeming happiness or relief. There is just no hope or way out. This little girl will be doomed forever and you know it. Watching this movie means suffering. If you aren't, you're a stone.

Here's the trailer, a few short scenes (from the first half) and a short interview with the starring girl (sorry - German language, but maybe the pictures speak):

Saw these three recently. Le Cercle Rouge is a brilliant movie by Jean-Pierre Melville fr 1970. Downton Abbey is..okay, entertaining. BT Ferns I saw at home whilst on the sofa. The outtakes at the end are funnier than the actual movie.

I look forward to seeing Parasite. Bong Joon Ho did Snowpiercer. I saw 1/2 of it on-demand. It's ok. I may get back to it. But why am I hear? To say I just got tickets for me & the family to see The Irishman this Saturday afternoon. Can't wait. Also I watched Mullholland Drive. Whacky & confusing. Loved it. Naomi Watts. Noice!

the-irishman1.jpg

We recently watched The Lighthouse.

From Wikipedia: The Lighthouse is a 2019 Canadian-American psychological horror film directed and produced by Robert Eggers, who co-wrote the screenplay with his brother Max Eggers. Shot in black-and-white with a 1.19:1 aspect ratio, the film stars Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson as two lighthouse keepers who start to lose their sanity when a storm strands them on the remote island where they are stationed.

Very well made/acted. Works on multiple levels and lingers for a long while.

Today I watched this one. If you have already seen a Kaurismaki film (The Man Without a Past, Le Havre), you know what to expect. I liked it quite a bit.

Untitled-1.jpg

Anybody seen Uncut Gems? I had seen Good Time with Rebert Pattinson previously and I liked it a lot. Heard it described as anxiety as a movie and there's definitely no better description for that movie. Same goes for Uncut Gems. The movie is fast-paced and interesting up to the very end. Loved it. Definitely deserved a nomination.

Just been at the movies and seen an overwhelmingly moving, brutal German movie named "Systemsprenger", meaning "System-Breaker" about a 9-yo girl who can't control her sudden impacts of aggressiveness and violence, which leads her from one social-institution to the next.
something I'll be looking for.

yeah - i should've said don't f with ricky roma.

have you seen that movie? it's great.

Just watched it on Netflix. Fantastic. Another film about how the system fails the kids. That little girl was amazing! A child’s despair is so great, unimaginable! When she screamed mama, I could only say it too, it is primal!

Last edited:
Just saw Knives Out.

Knives Out is a 2019 American black comedy mystery film written and directed by Rian Johnson. A modern whodunit, the film follows a family gathering gone awry, after the family patriarch's death leads a master detective to investigate.

Daniel Craig did an awesome job. Started a tad slow, but then the twists/turns began. Later, small details I only subconsciously registered during the movie came to light. Could use a second viewing.

i think bukowski would love this guy, joão césar monteiro, portuguese, a sort of crumb, more intellectually clever, with more sense of humor and more artistic minded. here's one of my favorite movies of his, not the most famous one, called 'recollections of the yellow house' with english subtitles. he had a sense of humor and depravity unconscionable for a country so far behind, with so many taboos created by fifty years of a fascist dictatorship accentuated on a cult of devotion to family values, holy christianity, and nationalism.

Lisbon, 1989. A middle-aged poor idiot, tormented by an illness, lives in a cheap room in a family boarding house, in the old section of the city's waterfront.
iMDB

João de Deus, a middle-aged man, lives in a cheap boarding house in an old part of Lisbon. He relies on Franz Schubert's music and films to stave off misery. After harassing his landlord's daughters, he is thrown out of his room. He is sent to a mental hospital; however, he eventually manages to escape through the sewers.
Wikipedia

Last edited:
I streamed this a week ago and enjoyed it. A heavy theme is the internet killed the rarities and also the thrill of the hunt. I went to a giant sale in Denver back in '08-09 and there were people with PDAs scavenging thru boxes and reading barcodes, not even looking at covers, copyright page, colophon, etc. I found out later they were using some program that linked to Amazon where you could see how many copies were currently for sale. Weak. A bookman or bookwoman should know certain things like there are 30 copies of Hot Water Music with a Paget imprint and 18 "Terror Sreet." If you collect books, you'll get some enjoyment out of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back