Seen any good movies lately? (1 Viewer)

i guess this is a subjective question but is "the harder they come" worth watching? the
soundtrack's great but is the movie any good? it's on Kanopy - anyone in canada use
it? - free streaming through the public library system with tons of good content.

Whether The Harder they Come is worth watching depends on whether you find that mid-70s period of Jamaican music interesting. There's a story there, but it's not much to hang on. Jimmy Cliff does a good job though. But it certainly captures what life in Jamaica looked like in those days.

It's not as good as Rockers, but realistically, neither one of them is going to be of much interest to a general move watcher who isn't into reggae.

that was surprisingly good! alot of it had a documentary feel to it, with all the hand held footage and on
the fly street shots.

the vintage jamaica scenery was great too, as you said.

Not a movie but... watching it after 3 years since I first watched it. I think it's 30 years this year since it first came out. Don’t know if there are any fans out here.
View attachment 19347
my log does not judge

Whether The Harder they Come is worth watching depends on whether you find that mid-70s period of Jamaican music interesting. There's a story there, but it's not much to hang on. Jimmy Cliff does a good job though. But it certainly captures what life in Jamaica looked like in those days.

It's not as good as Rockers, but realistically, neither one of them is going to be of much interest to a general move watcher who isn't into reggae.
I dug em both. Rockers better. I've seen lots of movies lately. Last night I saw Steve McQueen's Shame. the trailer doesn't do it justice so I don't know why i'm posting it. That being said, it is a great movie that, so far, has really stuck with me.

Been on a movie kick lately. Watched Jarhead for the first time and liked it. Also rewatched Robocop and Dredd, which I'd really recommend if you like Robocop. Yesterday I saw this one, which surprised me a lot with how good it was.

that was surprisingly good!
I forgot to mention, for anyone who likes The Harder They Come and/or Rockers, The Criterion Channel has a movie from the same era, but filmed in England, called Babylon. Just like the movies shot in Jamaica, a musician plays the main role in Babylon, Brinsley Forde from Aswad.

It's miraculous that those three movies were made and it's great that they survive. Babylon wasn't really available anywhere until Criterion added it, but the other two have been around for a while.

Goldeneye (1995)
Top notch, brosnan's charisma as the agent gets immediate attention, dude was born to potray bond, im keeping my hopes high for his subsequent bond movies, i really didnt care for bond movies at all back in the day i liked action movies like those guys from rambo and the terminators but not action like that type of james bond's, somehow recently got my attention because i started playing my dusty goldeneye cartridge 64 again. and hey its not that bad for an action movie type thing.

Saw Uncut Gems finally... It was much better than I thought it would be. It is intense -- in the sense that the scenes never seem to let up, it's an anxiety-filled ride, with a good ending. Not really violent or bloody or anything like that... the cast is great -- even the bit players like the pawn shop guy, are very good. I enjoyed it -- but probably not the kind of movie you watch twice. Kind of exhausting. It's a simple story/plot, with perhaps the most self-destructive main character (Howard Ratner played convincingly by Adam Sandler) ever...

Oh, I love Jarmusch, Adam Driver was really good, very interesting picture. I like the American indies, especially Cassavetes, Todd Solondz and Harmony Korine. Talking about the latest, saw Korine's The Beach Bum last night. Regret. It had a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Big Lebowski kind of vibe, but doesn't get near both in term of content, or in any terms actually. It's like, the millennials hip-hop cannabis mongers wet dream, if I see it as a satire I can see a point, but it's not, it's a romanticization of hedonistic character without any type of dept, and the poetry is a joke, vulgar. If you see some of this author work, like Kids or Gummo, this is completely different picture. The dislike is general, maybe because of: you hate it because you want it and you can't get it?... I don't know, maybe that's it. Anyone else saw it?

On Netflix, The Trial of the Chicago 7. This is not a documentary; it’s a dramatization of events that resonates with great power while containing essential truths.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 is a 2020 American historical legal drama film written and directed by Aaron Sorkin. The film follows the Chicago Seven, a group of anti-Vietnam War protesterscharged with conspiracy and crossing state lines with the intention of inciting riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. It features an ensemble cast that includes Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Sacha Baron Cohen, Daniel Flaherty, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Keaton, Frank Langella, John Carroll Lynch, Eddie Redmayne, Noah Robbins, Mark Rylance, Alex Sharp, and Jeremy Strong.

Last edited:
I´m going to watch it in a day or two. I once read a book about the Chicago 8 (reduced to 7 when Bobby Seale was severed from the trial) and it was some trial! During the trial Abbie Hoffman told Judge Julius Hoffman "you are a shande fur de Goyim [Yiddish for "disgrace in front of the gentiles"]. You would have served Hitler better." That´s harsh words from one Jew to another but the judge was clearly biased against the defendants and their lawyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back