THIS IS NOT A TEST (2 Viewers)

From the front porch and from the back patio.

But Google will give you more professional, impressive pics of the park...

house2.jpg

house3.jpg

Nice to hear that you found such a pleasant and quiet place to live in.
And hell, yes, the fucking leaf blowers! I don't know when they showed up first over here, maybe a decade ago, but I've been cursing at those dirty and noisy blowers ever since.

Funny thing is, Los Angeles made using a gas powered leaf blower illegal in 1991! But no one had the foresight to understand that for a law to work, maybe you need some kind of enforcement. There is none.

Wait, that's not true. Santa Monica has the most strict leaf blower laws in Los Angeles. They have issued...let's see...six citations in the past two years.

Which is all proof that if the people don't agree with a law they'll just break it and if everyone breaks it, what can you do?

It's why herb possession was about the same as getting a traffic here before it became completely legal. Too many people used it, the laws were unenforceable. It's still against the law, federal law, but the law is not enforced (unless your skin is brown).

I have to say, there's a palpable note of pleasure...dare I say it, even joy...in your voice for the most recent episode. Sounds like the move came along at exactly the right time! Congrats!

mjp, have you read A Season in the Wilderness by Edward Abbey ? Great book about the wilderness in the western american desert, not your new place but still.

I read a lot of those Edward Abbey books a long time ago, yes.

As far as the Joshua Trees going extinct, I've been reading about that too. But the temperature increases they're talking about - 5 to 9 °F - would cause problems that I think might distract us from the death of the Joshua Trees. Like, you know, Los Angeles and New York City being underwater, things like that.

The death of a lot of the Joshua Trees (and animals and insects and other plants) would suck, but it might be hard to drum up sympathy for them if the polar ice caps were all melted...

The death of a lot of the Joshua Trees (and animals and insects and other plants) would suck, but it might be hard to drum up sympathy for them if the polar ice caps were all melted...

I can't bring myself to "like" the post, as the death of the desert (and the world) seems like such a nightmare that people would be terrified and act accordingly... Will we? I don't have much faith...

But I agree: it won't get much press.

yet another great podcast. A bit relaxed & still with humor & insight. Congrats on the new digs as well.

the death of the desert (and the world) seems like such a nightmare that people would be terrified and act accordingly... Will we?
Well no one is acting - accordingly or otherwise - now, so I assume everyone will just roll over and die when the time comes. But at least the stockholders in the giant corporations that the Trump voters are supporting will be happy. Right up to the end.

But honestly, I think those people, those Trump voters, will be waving their confederate flags right up until the water or the dust covers them, and they'll be screaming "LOCK HER UP!" and "FAKE NEWS!" as they wither and die. Because that's the world the politicians have made, and they can't reverse it now.

But who knows. I probably won't be here to see it, so I don't care anyway. I've never believed that it would be such a terrible thing, the end of our particular little blip of life here and now in this time and place. And I still don't. I don't have kids though, so it's easy for me to say goodnight moon...

Besides, the Andromeda galaxy is on course to collide with the Milky Way anyway, so it's a moot point.

Okay, that's in 4 billion years, but still.

Mankind: invented all manner of imaginary religions, borders, countries, gods, and money then used each as some dip-shit, slap-dash justification to keep what they actually needed from each other...until they destroyed the only real thing they had -- their planet.

Or:

"Humanity, you never had it
from the beginning."

Say, someone should put that on a statue...

Come Fly With Me

https://thisisnotatest.com/come-fly-with-me/

Let's talk about air travel, airplanes, and people, and maybe also the Eiffel Tower, the Grand Canyon, Palm Springs in the summer, LAX, a deep, hacking, ugly cough, Pringles, pretzels, vodka, pasta salad, La-Z-Boys, Mountain Dew, nuns, flowy peasant blouses, iPods, Tunis Air, half-price fajita night, tuberculosis, and the joys of a good mani/pedi.

this-is-not-a-test-104.jpg

Go Fly a Kite and Other Mild Insults

https://thisisnotatest.com/go-fly-a-kite-and-other-mild-insults/

Hi, remember me? I thought you might like to talk about dogs, jobs, moms, flying kites and Jolly Rogers, sleeping on pool tables, corn, Mai Tais with Buddha, white Christmas, metadata, Showtime at The Apollo, which Sex in the City character are you?, getting old, Christmas music, Van Morrison, The Wailers, fistfights, puppetheads, Joe Strummer, particles, white people, Survivor, Trevy, patois, Rastafari, appreciation vs. appropriation, Cross Colours jackets, why you should stop telling people you're a DJ, and propane in the membrane.

this-is-not-a-test-105.jpg

Been enjoying these 'casts, mjp.

Two of my favorites:

from Come Fly With Me
"...she was a bundle of unnecessary idiot energy that never stopped, just an endless fluttery chaos. It was like sitting next to a 175 lb pigeon."

from Go Fly a Kite and Other Mild Insults
"...you're only doing it cause you saw a picture of Grandmaster Flash in a coffee table book at your grandmothers..."

Hell, I'd buy a print book of these...

Sir, that was a mighty fine episode. Sorry to hear about all the shit that's been hitting your fan. If I had a skull & crossbones kite I'd send one your way. Digressions!!!!! Oh, and my nick-name, to some, is DJ PhillyDave. It's a ha ha. I know I am nothing more than a player of records with opinions. AAND I have a 16 Tons tour jacket. If it wasn't true before, it's true now- I am a dork and I am fine with it.

SCIENTISTS VERIFY THAT WORLDWIDE CORONAVIRUS HYSTERIA IS COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED! ALL WILL DIE! REPEAT: ALL WILL DIE! LISTEN NOW TO LEARN HOW TO SURVIVE!

https://thisisnotatest.com/scientis...-will-die-listen-now-to-learn-how-to-survive/

Terrified of catching a cold? Don't be, I've got you covered. Calm yourself by listening to my reassuring voice lulling you into an alpha wave-rich state of near catatonia by talking about hawks, burritos, cruise ships, toilet paper, Ira Glass, Portlandia, the death of half of the human race, super Tuesday, civil war, collapsed roofs, machines in the garage, politics and humanity, idiots, SEO, more idiots, writing for an audience of noodles, rules, rules, and more rules, some more idiots, removing the hair from around your nipples - wait, I didn't talk about that, I was just thinking about it - college professors, Google, content, deplorables, cookies, complaining, cereal boxes, and a public service announcement.

this-is-not-a-test-106.jpg

I Got No Friends 'Cause They Read the Papers

https://thisisnotatest.com/i-got-no-friends-cause-they-read-the-papers/

It's springtime, so let's talk about...COVID? That discussion is unavoidable, yes, but don't forget about jackrabbits, owls, coyotes, hazmat, malaria medicine, sensitivity, self-fulfilling prophesy, mascara, gourds, bunkers, Coven, Bob Marley, Aussie twats, an abundance of caution, social distancing, paid vacations, ramen noodles, toilet paper, Instagram, water, karaoke, skin, national parks, desert tortoises, ravens, garbage, grapes, Los Angeles, the death of ideological conservatism, Quaking Aspen, selling your soul, The Day The Earth Stood Still, bullets, President Clinton the second, wigs, and one love.

this-is-not-a-test-107.jpg

Dropping Propaganda From My Helicopter in the Sky

https://thisisnotatest.com/dropping-propaganda-from-my-helicopter-in-the-sky-in-the-sky/

Spring brings the Western Tanager, Earth Day, The Flintstones, Vietnam, food from the future, whales, protest, unenlightenment, the tools of oppression, laws, tribes, DNA, COVID, the great Liberal machine, foxes, lizards, cocktails, misdirection, the CDC, guano, mankind, newspuppets, the solution to everything, Girl Scout cookies, the pendulum, chipmunks, pretty shoes, Questlove, Santana, the Monkees, and coyotes.

this-is-not-a-test-108.jpg

The Black Crowes were a fun, solid band but definitely not groundbreaking.

Now you know.

Apparently they could have been a lot more successful, but the brothers pretty consistently sabotaged each other because they hated each other.

And their first record made them famous, which is not usually a sign of good things to come when it comes to the young fellers in the rock bands.

Btw, mjp,
you have a very good radio voice!
For some reason, I listen to your podcast before I go to sleep and go to sleep with it. Then I have to play it again. Never fails. Good night!

Maybe I should start one of those YouTube channels that people use to fall asleep. Bank some big checks for speaking to insomniacs in a monotone for an hour. I'll have to look into it.

That reminds me of a co-worker I had years ago. We were talking about music and she said she really liked softer stuff like James Taylor. She went on to say she had seen him in concert three times. "I fell asleep each time," she said and I laughed thinking she as poking fun at herself, which would have been totally in character. But no, she was totally serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back