Will it make my iPod? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of Wire were involved with the first 'The The' LP: "Burning Blue Soul" , so here's Nos. 3, 4 and 5:

3. 4. Matt Johnson -
5. Matt Johnson -
(hello M*rc*s J*hns*n)

in memory of Alton Ellis who passed away today at age 70...
I'm always somewhat amazed when anyone who came up in Trenchtown survives to any ripe old age, so good for him to keep crackin' for so long. So many great artists from that area didn't make it nearly as far. Guidance Alton!

Beautiful song.

Wanna tell the long & complicated story?

I was on a fan forum for a video game I was interested in (was unreleased then, it launched last month) and someone linked the song Ketsarku Mozgalom (sic possibly) by Venetian Snares. I liked it so much I went and bought the album that had a remix of that song. It got me interested to I youtubed the Billie Holliday version and fell in love with it.

That's my first Billie Holliday, anyways.

That's funny because I have an mp3 of Frank Sinatra and one Of Billy Holiday and half of the songs Frank does are songs she did before him. So everyone probably covers a Billy Holiday tune, eventually. She was great.

a hugely talented singer/songwriter, unfortunately about to burn away. sad to watch.

Hugely talented? Fantastic? Has the bar been lowered to the floor while I've been away? ;)

I will say that you may see some good work from her in about 10 years, when she's back amongst the living and has some shit to sing about. Right now she's just a curiosity with a 50's hairdo and a public drug habit, isn't she.

bah, you grumpy old punk! ;)

built into her talent is her potential. or something like that.
she has a gift for writing smart pop lyrics and a knack for interpreting other peoples' songs.

I will say that she wears her influences a little too heavily, but if she lives past 26 she'll shake that off. probably.

and she's her own worst enemy. whatever happened to functioning drug addicts/alcoholics? christ, suck it up! I blame cell phone cameras. that's why I don't have a cell phone, so I won't be tempted to snap a pic of Amy sucking the crack pipe.

but I still think she's hugely talented. but what do I know, I thought back in 1995 that Lotion was poised to take over the rock world. and where are they now?

I will say that she wears her influences a little too heavily, but if she lives past 26 she'll shake that off. probably.
Well, that's all I'm saying. I don't see much there now, but she's putting a lot of miles on, and as readers of this forum should know, those miles give you something of substance to write about. Sing about, whatever.

Bob Dylan was just imitating Woodie Guthrie for the first couple years there, and look at him, he turned out Okay.

Lotion?

I really don't know Lotion, but if I had the shirt I'd give it to you. I'm cool like that.

5. Red Hot Chili Peppers -
but you must be able to appreciate this one-we are supposed to learn to speak the Spanish.

6. Jarabe De Palo -
Latinos can play some good stuff here in the melting pot.

Lotion? try Salsa rock

I really don't know Lotion, but if I had the shirt I'd give it to you. I'm cool like that.

that's ok, nobody knows Lotion.

and Dr. Love, the Beach Boys falsetto in the Peppers song gets me every time.

I was on a fan forum for a video game I was interested in (was unreleased then, it launched last month) and someone linked the song Ketsarku Mozgalom (sic possibly) by Venetian Snares. I liked it so much I went and bought the album that had a remix of that song. It got me interested to I youtubed the Billie Holliday version and fell in love with it.

That's my first Billie Holliday, anyways.

Thanks, Ninjerk.

Since I'm in Canada...

7. Rush - La villa strangiato

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=c7jVoXx9AmM

10. Clothesline Revival --
Don't know much about them. Heard it on a mix from the Big Rock Candy Mountain blog and I woke from my usual stupor. Checked the playlist and found it on utube, youknow.

Anybody remember Kevin Coyne?
He had an insane, lunitic edge to his songs that I'm sure Buk would have related to.
Check out this song's lyrics.

12. Kevin Coyne - Blame it on the Night

His stuff is hard to find, but things are getting better thanks to the wonders of the net.

And the weeks run away like, well, you know...

1) X -
a song which accurately reflects how I've been feeling for the past three days.

2. -- Gavin Bryars

Sat in my car after work for 20 minutes once as this was played in its entirety. At that point about the 3rd time I'd heard it in 20 years. This portion includes Tom Waits singing along to the unknown man who inspired the work.

3. The Police. For some weird reason everything on you tube has Republican ads popping up all over. So this song made the most sense. ( the ads are all gone now- they can only afford ads in the wee hours of the morning )

1 -b.)Bonus track: Beck -
a nod to the nasty 5-day stomach flu or food poisoning or whatever the fuck it was that I'm finally getting over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back