Will it make my iPod? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2. Chances are. Bob Marley and the Wailers
That song was not recorded when Bob was 19 years old as the kid who posted it guesses. It was recorded twice (once acoustic, once with the band), in 1968, when Bob was 23.

Bob cut two singles for Beverly's (whose early labels credited, "Robert Morley" and "Bobby Martell") when he was 17, then the Wailers got together and started recording when he was 19. Those early recordings are all ska, as rocksteady and reggae hadn't been created yet. The Wailers first record, Simmer Down, was a ska hit in Jamaica in 1964.

By 1968, when Chances Are was recorded, they had slowed the frantic ska beat down to the more laid back rocksteady, which then slowed down a bit more, got a new rhythm featuring the "one drop" drum pattern and that was reggae for almost a decade. Until computers came along and changed music, apparently forever.

Because I know you were all dying to know that. :rolleyes:

Seriously, they are. Just look at the tripe that sells.
What's funny about "what sells" is it isn't even an indicator of what people are listening to anymore, since so much music is freely traded and downloaded.

Thanks mjp, that was a great little piece of history.

I have always liked that song, also Peter Tosh.
I also like Jimmy Cliff, after seeing "The Harder they come". Where does his music fit in ? :) Is it poppy compare to....

Jimmy Cliff's career and music followed pretty much the same arc as the Wailers (ska, rocksteady, reggae), but that could be said of a lot of Jamaican musicians. I think Cliff was known outside of Jamiaca long before the Wailers were. He was poppier and more commercial yes, and considerably less militant than the Wailers. But Marley was trying to be commercial. Within the boundaries he established. Those boundaries included not taming or downplaying the militancy, which of course made him frightening and even more foreign to a lot of Europeans and Americans.

But I have to say, I saw Jimmy Cliff open a show for Peter Tosh once, and I loved Tosh and expected to just tolerate Cliff. But Jimmy Cliff stole the show! He was a tough act to follow, especially for Tosh, who could appear to be rather - uninvolved - during many of his live shows. Cliff is a great entertainer and musician.

PS: Love Jimmy Cliff. He was prety militant, in his own way, wasn't he?
He had some protest songs, but I didn't perceive him as being anywhere near as radical as the Wailers. He was more of an entertainer to me, but what can I say. I didn't dig too deeply into his music.

They're just songs, but the Wailers seemed pretty intent on tearing down everything that supported a worldwide system which they saw as corrupt all the way through. They wanted to replace it with the same kinds of things the hippies did though, which never would have worked even if they could have created a movement to burn down Babylon. Powerful shit though, even if you know it's unrealistic and flaky, and largely based on a book of fiction (oh, and worshiping a dictator).

Every fiber of my being thinks they are nuts, but when Marley sings and that fucking band plays - I don't know. He convinces me for those three or four minutes that he's right, and maybe all we really do need is peace and love. And to burn down Babylon, of course. Can't forget that peaceful and loving part.

Lennon could do the same thing. Make you buy his pie in the sky hippie bullshit when he sang. Just really make you believe it. Now that's genius. Let's see Michael Jackson do that.

Lennon could do the same thing. Make you buy his pie in the sky hippie bullshit when he sang. Just really make you believe it. Now that's genius. Let's see Michael Jackson do that.

I bet he's already got his hands full...
michael_heaven.jpg

PS: Love Jimmy Cliff. He was prety militant, in his own way, wasn't he?[/COLOR][/URL]
But he had a "bright side" that set him a bit apart from Marley b& Tosh.

I saw Jimmy Cliff in New Hampshire a few years back. Great show. Maybe a bit "mainstream," but the band cooked.

3. 311-
Ponder that pick of yours is quite profound. I've been to Twin Falls Idaho very briefly 45 years ago, i would like to go back.

The sound level's a bit messed up, but what a great song!
I've been singing it in my head for years, but only recently discovered the name of the artist. Oh! the wonders of the brave new digital world!

New week:

1) Toy Matinee -
bonus track) Toy Matinee -
An "intelligent pop" album I really liked about 20 years ago and just recently rediscovered when I found it for available for download as mp3s. It still holds up and it's interesting to see that it's achieved a sort of "unknown classic" status. The entire album is highly recommended.

2). by Evelyn Freeman and the Exciting Voices

Didn't know this existed until last week, and only then because a snippet of it was played on a local cable show called Rockinitis. Theme of that episode was gospel. Evelyn's version of Didn't It Rain was a minor hit in Vancouver in 1962. I was too young to notice or care. Glad I finally heard it.

Now thats's what I call a string quartet!

Nothing lasts forever
Of that I'm sure
Now you've made an offer
I'll take some more...

2. Roxy Music - Same Old Scene

Aug 16 Bonus: Elvis Presley -Suspicious Minds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back