Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, easy one. quick & dirty...
what was the original list price of Crucifix in a Dreathhand?

OK. Here is one:

The person that is second from the left published three books by Bukowski in the mid-sixties. Name him and name the titles of the books that he published.

For extra credit (and does not count for anything), name the other people in the picture.

whoisthis.jpg

Bill

methinks that's good ol' Blazek (Ole, Open Skull, All the Assholes..., Confessions of a Man...)

is SA Griffin the one with the black T-shirt?

Hi,
I knew that you had a good shot at this one! OK it is Blazek. The books that he published by Bukowski were:

Confessions of a Man Insane Enough To Live With Beasts
All the Assholes in the world and mine
&
The Bukowski Sampler

Also, you are right that S.A. Griffin is in the back. For the record, the person in the red shirt is John Dorsey. I am the guy to the far left. No jokes, please...

So, Abel, you are up!

Bill

and there it goes!

Ha. Someone had to mention that!

Yes, I'm a fat, bald(ing) bastard. There is still some hair left up there, but not much and it is failing me fast.

ah. What can you do?

Bill

Wow, I'd never guess, that was Blazek! Have seen pics of him from the very early 70s only - he has changed since then.

I think we've all changed a bit since the early 70's...those of us who were around back then, in ye olden tymes.

sure. only some change in a way, you still easily recognize them. Like Einstein or Burroughs or Bukowski changed only little in their last 35 years. I, of course, have changed a lot since the early 70s, when I was shitting my diapers.

But back to business: cirerita - come up!

oh, I just realized:
the pic I had in mind was older than I thought - from 1965!
Blazek_1965_2.gif

it's, btw, in a book that BUKOWSKI and WEISSNER edited for the German market in 1977.
Also containing Micheline, Norse, Locklin, Richmond, Wantling, Winans, Koertge and others.
(I wonder, why Blaufuss isn't in it. Did they have a fallout? But then - Norse is in too.)

that was '3 chickens' and the issue is October 1977.

new question:
in an interview (which's also recorded), Tom Waits names one of his songs, that's been inspired by a particular Bukowski-text. (I say: 'inspired'! it is NOT the word-by-word musicalisation of 'Nirvana' on his last 3-CD-album.)

What is the name of the song and of the album and what is the name of the Buk-text?

Buk's favorite color was yellow.

Here's a question: In "Hollywood," Bukowski revealed his opinion of Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway's performances in Barfly. What did he say?

The Piano Has Been Drinking

nope!
A hint: The song is on swordfishdrombones. The interview was done on a promo-record to that one and is named "A Conversation with Tom Waits". Came out 1983.
Waits is making a slight mistake, since he states he's referring to a "story" by Bukowski, but from his description of it, it's quite clear he's talking of a well known poem, not a story.

roni,
I think we all give up ;)

that's nice cirerita, thanks!
I even thought the kids were taking over on their rules without any thoughts or excuse :-))

The song is 'Franks Wild Years' on (as said) 'Swordfishtrombones'
( - the subject of 'Frank' later to become a WHOLE album by Waits)
and the poem is 'THE SHOELACE' !

here's the Original statement:

"Frank's Wild Years - Charles Bukowski had a story that essentially was saying that it's the little things that drive men mad. It's not the big things. It's not World War II. It's the broken shoe lace when there is no time left that sends men completely out their minds. So this is kind of in that spirit. [...] I think there is a little bit of Frank in everybody."

You can find that here:
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~boris/tomwaits/noframe/i_sft.htm
or here:
http://www.tomwaitslibrary.com/interviews/83-swordfishpromo.html
(or o/core on the original promo-CD)

- anyway, since this is solved now: let them have the new question!
What was it again? something with a color?

I don't have the answer to the last one but I'd like to ask this anyway:

Bukowski's equation of writing and shit suggests catharsis, but in his poem, "Piss and Shit," he says that Balzac has a "dignified" form of shit, if I remember correctly.

What Balzac quote features this same word, and what does this add to Bukowski's "shit" metaphor?

And moreover, what did Picasso have to say about it?

Hi,
You may have to wait to get a question right to ask that question on this thread. Otherwise, if you ask it in another thread you will probably get an answer.

Also, welcome to the Bukowski forum!

Best,
Bill

there's a very long poem in this issue. Bukowski made that drawing thinking of that mag, obviously. I belive the guy riding the bike -in the drawing!- is Buk himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back